SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   Fork damage after collision (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/fork-damage-after-collision-34766/)

whatthefnck 11-08-2017 06:31 PM

Fork damage after collision

How likely is it the forks could be damaged after a collision at about 25 mph with a car? hard enough to break the car's wheel assembly. I haven't riden it yet, still working on getting it running. But it looks like it could be bent a little, tho Its hard to tell, and hoping maybe the wheel bent instead. But pushing it forward doesn't feel much wrong, but when I look at it, it does look kind of bent. Maybe it'll straighten itself out when riding and taking some dips and ups n downs? Maybe its time to get that upgrade rebuild I've been reading about so much on here haha. Any ideas or suggestions on what I need to look at or feel for?

captainchaos 11-08-2017 07:13 PM

I don't know if anything is going to "straighten itself out when riding." If it's not already obvious just by looking at it take the fork tubes out and put a metal straightedge again it. Slowly spin the tube while holding the straightedge flush against it. I mean if you want it perfect and want to be do it the correct, scientific way find a GMD Computrack or MegaMAX frame measuring place near you. A 25mph collision with a car? That's a pretty hard shot. Maybe you got lucky (well if you're walking around you already did) but yeah you probably bent them and the lower triple. Also inspect the front frame weld too as those are notorious for cracking in collisions (I actually managed to completely rip the front portion of my frame off years ago).

smokinjoe73 11-08-2017 07:25 PM

Yeah I'll agree if you didn't bend them then that's a one in a million collision. One way is to put the bike on a front end stand that holds it from the lower triple. Remove the front wheel & fender. Loosen all triple bolts and slowly rotate the tubes in the triples and see if they are bent.

Cadbury64 11-09-2017 11:56 AM

Slightly bent fork tubes can be straightened by professionals for not much money, as long as they are not creased. IIRC I paid $40 a side to get tubes straightened, they work just like new now.

whatthefnck 11-09-2017 12:45 PM

thx guys. I should prob bring it somewhere, but I 'm just concerned about honesty

xeris 11-09-2017 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by whatthefnck (Post 404516)
thx guys. I should prob bring it somewhere, but I 'm just concerned about honesty

A valid concern.

Wolverine 11-09-2017 03:50 PM

Try here. Erik is a mod here on the forum and you can trust his work.
https://roadtrippers.com/us/kempner-...7188513343&z=5

whatthefnck 11-09-2017 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Wolverine (Post 404519)
Try here. Erik is a mod here on the forum and you can trust his work.
https://roadtrippers.com/us/kempner-...7188513343&z=5

I'm not sure what to get out of that.... Did you just intend to give me a shop suggestion? Regardless, thx

I know there was a guy here that rebuilt the forks into track worthy stuff. Is he still here as well?

Wolverine 11-09-2017 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by whatthefnck (Post 404516)

Then I link you to a trustworthy person.......

Originally Posted by whatthefnck (Post 404520)
I'm not sure what to get out of that.... Did you just intend to give me a shop suggestion?

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sup...e01880a93b.jpg

whatthefnck 11-11-2017 12:42 PM

Ahhhh haha ok thx brother

whatthefnck 11-25-2017 04:24 PM

Is it possible they're not bent and simply out of alignment or tweaked? And if I release and reinstall the front wheel it'll align back p again? I'll let you all know....

captainchaos 11-25-2017 04:54 PM

If it "looks kinda bent" it is. Anything's possible but you're probably reaching after a "collision at 25 mph with a car hard enough to break the car's wheel assembly." Not meaning to sound like a jerk but instead of wondering and wondering just take it apart and you'll know for sure. It's not difficult and as was said you'll be able to see pretty easily by simply spinning the fork in the triple or if you want to take it out and spin it and/or put a straight edge on it. If either or both forks are bent there's also a pretty good chance you'll have a bent lower triple as well. As I may have already stated also check the weld at the neck on the frame. If you're uncomfortable doing it yourself google GMD Computrack near you and take it to them. Not worth riding around on a bent bike. The good news is (especially if you do the work yourself) it shouldn't be TERRIBLY expensive to fix. Either way trust me from experience anything is ok regarding any motorcycle accident where you walk away. Period.

whatthefnck 11-26-2017 02:32 AM

thx. oddly, they dont per se look bent, but look out of alignment. I'll take it apart and check it out. thx again

Wolverine 11-26-2017 07:00 AM

Remove them from the bike and when you pull the upper out, use a know flat surface and roll them on it. You'll find out very quickly. Glass works great. We're not looking for a .00x measurement here, but it will point out a bend. If it's tweaked, it needs replaced or you will eat bushings for breakfast, lunch and dinner (+desert)! If the spot will go across your seals, you'll trash them quickly too.

CruxGNZ 11-27-2017 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by whatthefnck (Post 404727)
thx. oddly, they dont per se look bent, but look out of alignment. I'll take it apart and check it out. thx again

Is it possibly that your tripples are just skewed a bit? For example, is the wheel pointed straight, but the clipons are pointed a little to the left or right? If so, it's an easy fix.

smokinjoe73 11-27-2017 12:01 PM

Here check this out.