SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   Fixing My hotwired Superhawk (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/fixing-my-hotwired-superhawk-34413/)

YLTO-Superhawk 03-17-2017 08:33 AM

Fixing My hotwired Superhawk

Short version - whats entailed in me fixing my ignition now that some asshat has cut the wires and hotwired it?

Long version
So coming home one dark night from running I drove through the neighborhood when, as I made a slight turn I noticed a motorcycle parked on the side of the road with a crooked license plate. Huh, that's weird. Someone else with a crooked license plate I thought... Then I drive by and huh, that bike is also a red crotchrocket... That's we... hey wait a minute!

I back up and point my headlights at the bike. Sure enough, its mine, parked about 1/4 mile down the street from my house, I drive on home, grab my keys, and then hoof it back to the bike. I turn it on and try to start it, but its dead. Dead dead. So I push it home, wheel it in the garage and plan to come back to it.

I come back to it a couple of days later and yep, its dead, so I put a battery charger on it and leave it. I come back. Its still dead. Hmmm, what did they DO? And then I notice it. The three wires going into my ignition had been cut.

Rat bastards.

Anyway, so now I need to know whats the best way to get my hawk moving again? I REALLY need to ride.

Cadbury64 03-17-2017 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by YLTO-Superhawk (Post 401049)
Short version - whats entailed in me fixing my ignition now that some asshat has cut the wires and hotwired it?

Long version
So coming home one dark night from running I drove through the neighborhood when, as I made a slight turn I noticed a motorcycle parked on the side of the road with a crooked license plate. Huh, that's weird. Someone else with a crooked license plate I thought... Then I drive by and huh, that bike is also a red crotchrocket... That's we... hey wait a minute!

I back up and point my headlights at the bike. Sure enough, its mine, parked about 1/4 mile down the street from my house, I drive on home, grab my keys, and then hoof it back to the bike. I turn it on and try to start it, but its dead. Dead dead. So I push it home, wheel it in the garage and plan to come back to it.

I come back to it a couple of days later and yep, its dead, so I put a battery charger on it and leave it. I come back. Its still dead. Hmmm, what did they DO? And then I notice it. The three wires going into my ignition had been cut.

Rat bastards.

Anyway, so now I need to know whats the best way to get my hawk moving again? I REALLY need to ride.

After you hunt down the thieves and administer a good kicking...

Can you splice the cut wires back together? That would be quick, if you solder them and use heat shrink you'll have a permanent repair.

smokinjoe73 03-18-2017 07:09 AM

First, take a moment to thank God you still have your bike.

Next, go on ebay and order an ignition switch. If the pulled the wires from their internal connections inside the switch it may be beyond reasonable repair.

Same thing has happened to friends of mine. Where was your bike to begin with? In a position where someone could've just pushed it away? Throw a cheap padlock on the disc and COVER IT. A cover is the best form of security. No one covets what the don't see......

jeremyjo 03-20-2017 01:04 PM

The first time someone attempted to steal mine, they managed to short one of the ignition wires to the frame and blew the main fuse that's under the plastic in the tail section. Check that thing out, I think it's a 30A blade type fuse.