SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   Fighter project (mostly) done! (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/fighter-project-mostly-done-18430/)

Denverhawk 04-24-2009 03:05 PM

Fighter project (mostly) done!

Well, I finally got my SH in road worthy condition! For those of you following this project (which is none as far as i can tell :)) I got her back from the shop where they put my new sprockets on (-1,+2), installed and dyno-ed a K&N Jet Kit, and shod 'er with new rubber a few weeks ago and since then I'v struggled with a poorly designed aftermarket tail-light and mounting the head light (I know, I'm not the most handy guy!). I ended up putting the OEM taillight back while I disassemble the aftermarket one and re-solder some wires. Next up are an undertail and braided lines for the front, both already purchased. I would love to get some feedback on my hawk from our discerning members!

oahu hawk 04-24-2009 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Denverhawk (Post 212861)
Well, I finally got my SH in road worthy condition! For those of you following this project (which is none as far as i can tell :)) I got her back from the shop where they put my new sprockets on (-1,+2), installed and dyno-ed a K&N Jet Kit, and shod 'er with new rubber a few weeks ago and since then I'v struggled with a poorly designed aftermarket tail-light and mounting the head light (I know, I'm not the most handy guy!). I ended up putting the OEM taillight back while I disassemble the aftermarket one and re-solder some wires. Next up are an undertail and braided lines for the front, both already purchased. I would love to get some feedback on my hawk from our discerning members!

I would think feedback would require some pics...:p

Reason 04-24-2009 05:11 PM

Looks pretty cool, very similar to mine, I have a black streetfighter with the cyclops too. How did you mount the acerbis? I have a set of gauges I bought but no place to put them, since I used the rubber straps to mount directly to the forks and there's no room for the gauges.

Also, does your headlight, you know, actually illuminate anything? Mine is subpar.

chickenstrip 04-24-2009 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by oahu hawk (Post 212874)
I would think feedback would require some pics...:p

Pics are in his album - check the photo albums.

Denverhawk 04-25-2009 08:50 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Sorry guys, I tried to up-load pics and when I previewed my post i saw them... I must have made a mistake. You can defiantly see pics in my album but i will try to post again. -Reason, As to the head light question, I find my unit to be very bright but my mounting solution is less then desirable. Once I figure out this photo uploading hic-up I will take some close ups and share some other ideas I have.

Denverhawk 04-25-2009 08:53 AM

Success! (I think, can everyone see the thumbnails?) :confused:

Truckinduc 04-25-2009 10:28 AM

what happened to my comments in the other thread? There are a few things you can do to totally transform the look, Instead of having it look like you crashed it and half assed got it legal again. Im not saying thats what you did, but thats how most people will see it.

alive226 04-25-2009 11:09 AM

Looks kinda like a Speed Triple.......not a dis.....Ilike it

Truckinduc 04-25-2009 11:28 AM

here goes.

Shorten aftermarket cans, you can get them cheap

Smaller tail, possibly pocketbike tail

get rid of the huge gauges, replace with something small like an acewell or veypor
my acewell has a ton more features than the stock gauges, and its about 3"x4"

get a better headlight, those acerbis put out less light than a candle. There are alot of options out there.

Paint your radiators black

Wrap your exhaust.

Thats what I would do. Simple stuff

But its your bike, so you do what you want with it.

k-d-williams 04-25-2009 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Truckinduc (Post 213004)
here goes.

Shorten aftermarket cans, you can get them cheap

Smaller tail, possibly pocketbike tail

get rid of the huge gauges, replace with something small like an acewell or veypor
my acewell has a ton more features than the stock gauges, and its about 3"x4"

get a better headlight, those acerbis put out less light than a candle. There are alot of options out there.

Paint your radiators black

Wrap your exhaust.

Thats what I would do. Simple stuff

But its your bike, so you do what you want with it.

+1, The biggest thing for me is the stock tail section and stock exhaust, get rid of those and the street fighter look start to pop!

Denverhawk 04-25-2009 07:12 PM

Instead of having it look like you crashed it and half assed got it legal again. Im not saying thats what you did, but thats how most people will see it.
A pretty fair assessment of what I did do :). But I do appreciate the pointers!

Truckinduc 04-25-2009 08:23 PM

the stock tail looks too big when you remove the fairing, go with a smaller tail and your in good shape.

Also the closer the light is to the front forks, the more aggressive it looks.

Bikephreak 04-27-2009 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Truckinduc (Post 213106)
the stock tail looks too big when you remove the fairing, go with a smaller tail and your in good shape.

Also the closer the light is to the front forks, the more aggressive it looks.

+1

Zedicus 04-27-2009 07:00 AM

dont paint the radiators, and dont wrap the exhast. also i never liked the 'tiny tail' look. and yes shorter cans would look good.
if you really want to do something with the radiators do an underseat mod, or a single front radiator.

Denverhawk 04-27-2009 04:09 PM

I would love another, single, rad position. It's a relatively involved process from threads I'v read, at least at my level of mechanic-ship:p. Truck and many others love the tiny tail, I like it too but as a matter of practicality (my girl and I love riding two up and I got just this one bike) I'd like to keep it OEM. Eventually I'd even like a corbin unit on. I suppose I could fit another bi-posto from a flashier bike...

Truckinduc 04-27-2009 07:16 PM

putting a rad up front is not that hard trust me. Swapping a tail is a little involved, but can be done with the stock subframe. Ill look around and see if I can find a bi posto unit that will match the tank.

Denverhawk 04-28-2009 08:29 AM

putting a rad up front is not that hard trust me. Swapping a tail is a little involved, but can be done with the stock subframe. Ill look around and see if I can find a bi posto unit that will match the tank.
Thanks Truck, don't look to hard, it's riding time for me and my motivation for modding is a bit diminished and my budget more so;). Is there a thread with the pros/cons of wrapping headers? This is a suggestion you made that I have been considering (CHEAP!) but I have heard that tape keeps the inside of the exhaust hotter to detrimental effect/ Thoughts anyone? I like the look allot and although i don't get hot-leg on my SH like some bikes I do like the DIY approach and I'm not the polish or chrome type but even a cheap bastard like me could do without the rusted headers:rolleyes:!.

Truckinduc 04-28-2009 10:08 AM

there probably is A thread with pros and cons.

I just did mine. You should seal up the exhaust with a good high heat paint before you wrap the exhaust. Since our exhaust is stainless its more corrosion resistant than other exhaust.

Id guess it may take a year of two off the long lifespan of the exhaust. Im not really worried about it.

http://i39.tinypic.com/dx0f1g.jpg

and you can find the wrap on ebay pretty cheap.

Kelevra 06-02-2009 06:18 PM

subscribed!

What is the ideal front radiator to use?

LineArrayNut 06-02-2009 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Kelevra (Post 220077)
subscribed!

What is the ideal front radiator to use?

the biggest one you can fit?:rolleyes:

Kelevra 06-02-2009 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by LineArrayNut (Post 220081)
the biggest one you can fit?:rolleyes:

Ya, totally. But, what is everyone using?

cel2620xl 06-07-2011 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Denverhawk (Post 212991)
Sorry guys, I tried to up-load pics and when I previewed my post i saw them... I must have made a mistake. You can defiantly see pics in my album but i will try to post again. -Reason, As to the head light question, I find my unit to be very bright but my mounting solution is less then desirable. Once I figure out this photo uploading hic-up I will take some close ups and share some other ideas I have.

HEY CAN YOU TELL ME THE NAME OF THE AFTER MARKET HEADLIGHT AND WHERE YOU GOT IT FROM PLEASE