SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   Exhaust Leak (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/exhaust-leak-16773/)

chevy 11-16-2008 05:56 PM

Exhaust Leak

Been noticing the extra rumble (noise) from my exhaust, where it connects in the middle of the bike closer to the belly pan, i can see and believe i can reach the clamp and bolt.

My question is how harmful is this to the hawk while riding, if any besides the loss of power, and popping.........and is this an easy repair for a novice beginner?:behindsofa:

Death Cattle 11-16-2008 05:58 PM

i think the first step would be to tighten the clamps and see if that does anything. after that, if it doesnt work, you'll probably have to do some inspecting and see if you see anything out of the ordinary.

chevy 11-16-2008 06:03 PM

I will try that............I saw somewhere where this guy used a sealant type spread it around where the gasket would go tighten the clamps and wola!!!

But from what i hear i may need to buy a gasket...........but 1st things first.

Death Cattle 11-16-2008 06:42 PM

you might have too, but thats not gonna put you in hole at all if you do. its just always best to try the free stuff first. haha.

Wicky 11-17-2008 02:06 AM

http://www.bike-parts.fr/h/motog/13M...GE/F__1800.gif

Before you go splurging out on exhaust sealant - Is the OE exhaust seal intact? part no. 6

As folk suggest check the clamp and seal, and if necessary tighten or replace one or both with quality SS Mikalor Supra W4 (Pro) clamp or similar.

No special tools required, 1/2 hour tinkering - sorted

chevy 11-17-2008 06:20 AM

no it has an aftermarket exhaust, Jordin rt 1 to be exact, i will tighten the bolt this morning, if that does not work.....is there actually a gasket or just a selant.

RickB 11-17-2008 06:54 AM

The gasket mentioned above as item #6 is actually like a sleeve, dark gray or so in color that sllides onto the one half of the pipe (the smaller diameter) and then the outer larger diameter pipe with the clamp slide over it. If it looks to be falling apart or its missing you will need to replace it.

Originally Posted by chevy (Post 188848)
no it has an aftermarket exhaust, Jordin rt 1 to be exact, i will tighten the bolt this morning, if that does not work.....is there actually a gasket or just a selant.

Gregw 11-17-2008 06:55 AM

Hi Chevy,
Yes, there is a gasket. #6, as Wicky pointed out, looks like it's made out of graphite. Tube shaped (not a flat gasket) almost an inch long and the material is a little less than an 1/8" thick.

Wicky 11-17-2008 08:32 AM

If you have an aftermarket exhaust or aftermarket cans with different connector pipes then probably you won't have the factory seal to match with the down pipe no.1 part. As the sleeve seal is only on the standard OE one piece silencer/connector pipe.

Generally the exhaust comes together with an interference fit (at least it is on my aftermarket UK Micron system which retails the original OE downpipe/manifold system), hence the cut slots at the ends of the pipe which gave a little springyness between the various diameters. Then springs and/or clamps to hold it all in place.

Can you get somebody to cover the exhaust at idle by briefly cupping their hands, so you can try and confirm if and where an air leak is coming from.

chevy 11-20-2008 12:17 PM

Pics of my problem

2 Attachment(s)
this may help., i tried to tighten but i found out it seems to be stripped because it will not tighten, so i tried to unscrew it will, but will not clamp tight, this is where i feel the unwanted air.

however, like a few post up......is there a sleeve or a flat gasket that is needed in there.

2nd

Is it worth going to the shop for, i can take clamp off, then i guess pull apart exhaust replace sleeve and clamp.

Break it down for me Guy's

chevy 11-21-2008 12:21 PM

need help guy's

Wicky 11-21-2008 12:34 PM

Try replacing the clamp with a Stainless Steel SS Mikalor Supra W4 (Pro) clamp or sumfink similar.

Only a $10 part (not inc. skinned knuckles!)

Probably no sleeve/seal, if as you say you have an aftermarket system, as the sleeve is in the OE collector at that particular junction. (see the illustration I posted earlier)

Gregw 11-21-2008 01:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a stock gasket I have sitting around. 1 7/8" OD, 3/32" wall thickness, 13/16" high.
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...8&d=1227302452

Black Hawk 11-21-2008 03:45 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Try the stock gasket and then get a better clamp that is a little smaller. This will work I had the same problem with my Two Bros Exhausts slip ons.

Kendrick 11-21-2008 03:59 PM

That sounds like what I had. My #6 gasket on the header was totally gone when I disassembled the bike. They apparently have a habit of falling apart and blowing out.

jmyg79 11-21-2008 04:05 PM

http://home.nycap.rr.com/ghlbo/index.html
go to IFAQ to the two bros exhaust question. I put these on my bike and it cured the problem for me. It has a bigger OD so the clamp can clamp better.

Wicky 11-21-2008 04:51 PM

IIRC 51-55mm, as I can now see from Chevy's pic he has the standard OE clamp, and so with a different connector pipe (probably without a seal) it can't close up the bore enough to make an effective seal.

http://www.stagonset.co.uk/pictures_...penMikalor.jpg

The Mikalor clamps are good as you don't need to disassemble the pipes to fit

Originally Posted by Black Hawk (Post 189551)
Try the stock gasket and then get a better clamp that is a little smaller. This will work I had the same problem with my Two Bros Exhausts slip ons.

chevy 11-22-2008 09:19 AM

Better View

2 Attachment(s)
here's a few more pics:

Wiley....thanks for the insight!

I just called the local dealer and he has never heard of miklar clamps, he stated that they had a cobra brand.10.95 and would have to order, he said for seal it would be 10.95.

is it better to go with the aftermarket.....it seems to be top choice for any replacement as i see on the forum:shock:

anyway i just looked at where the clamp and seal are, i noticed that halfway around there is a tight seal and the other half you can cleary see that there is a gap...........it appears to have either lost some metal or pipe is not in correctly...............if i was to take clamp off would i be able to take piping a loose or would i have to dissconnect bolts from where it bolts to motor?:mad:

:banghead:

Hotbrakes 11-22-2008 10:15 AM

I just did some tinkering with my exhaust and one of the gaskets was missing. Local auto shop had an exhaust bushing (1 3/4" I think) that worked perfectly.

Chevy- You may want to just take it to the shop though. Have them cut your chain to the correct size too so you're rear wheel is under the bike where it's supposed to be.

chevy 11-22-2008 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Hotbrakes (Post 189616)
I just did some tinkering with my exhaust and one of the gaskets was missing. Local auto shop had an exhaust bushing (1 3/4" I think) that worked perfectly.

Chevy- You may want to just take it to the shop though. Have them cut your chain to the correct size too so you're rear wheel is under the bike where it's supposed to be.

ha hah hha ha ahhaha haha hah ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chevy 03-10-2009 06:01 PM

fellows is there any special way to access that right side bolt on the exhaust manifold to get to the gasket, i have the left one off (if your sitting on the bike)

chickenstrip 03-10-2009 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Hotbrakes (Post 189616)

That's good to know. Was this gasket cheaper than OEM?

chevy 03-11-2009 04:32 AM

no i went with the oem 40 for gasket and band

chevy 03-12-2009 07:35 PM

need help wicky!!!

took off pipe and there was no sleeve after 40 mins of fighting with that right bolt, finally the oem gasket came and to my avail it will not go into the pipe, fits on the one come out of the motor perfect, i was wondering do i have to pry it open a little or no sleeve is to be in there,

2. put pipe back in place put new band around, tighten and started her up and the same dang on leak, wtf?

i am seriously considering getting the pipe welded because i am tired of this, out of all bands this is the only one that has the oem the others all look like the miklar style, i wonder why the previous owner had this type of band on it.

would welding be a bad idea, now with the band tight you can still clearly see gapage in the area where the pipe fits, which makes me think the sleeve might can fit with a lil force.

if it doesn't need the sleeve the how does a clamp suppose to stop this dragon from breathiing.........Joke!

swordfish 03-13-2009 09:27 AM

you know, a little leaking is normal. I used to be neurotic about making sure there wasn't even the tiniest leak but one always cropped up. until I talked to a local mechanic/dealer/track riding junky. he has 4 aprilia RSV's most set up just for the track. anyway, he said all his bikes leak a little, and they all have ceramic wrap on them too. full agro exhaust, and it always leaked a little. he says it makes no difference in perrformance. big leak, different story. but if you're just getting a little wisp of air, relax, forget about it. and ride the damn thing. its what I had to eventually bring myself to do.

Wicky 03-13-2009 09:46 AM

I'm sure we've covered this

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...d.php?p=188868

Not sure why you need so many threads relating to the one problem

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=17844

finepooch 03-13-2009 06:35 PM

here's your answer. make sure you only put it on the male section of pipe. doing it that way will prevent pushing a glob of the stuff into the exhaust and creating an partial obstruction.

http://permatex.carshopinc.com/produ...id/42301/81878

let me know if i helped

chevy 03-13-2009 09:06 PM

sorry wick..........

one thread was awhile ago and had went dead............so i started the project again and needed help.........i think when i first asked a question it took awhile, so i made another thread.

No pun Intended

anyway took to the shop he tells me he has to take entire exhaust apart th fix leak, but didn't have time to do it today, but i needed it fix today, but i came up with my own remedy, i'll find out in the morning if it worked or not...lol....if not i am not telling you guy's.......never joke me out, but if it works i will tell.

captainchaos 03-13-2009 09:32 PM

Hey Chevy in case you missed it I posted in the other thread. If the pipe doesn't fit properly it was either modded/damaged/defective or it doesn't belong on the bike in the 1st place. I've had several of those Jardine systems and the midpipes slip right onto the header. There is no gasket. Some use them, like Two Bros, Devil, Leo, etc, and some don't, like D&D and Jardine (at least on the chrome mid/black round powdercoat can slip ons). I've had three superhawks and have farted around with the majority of exhausts made for them. I'd be happy to take a look at it in you want to mail it to me. I have two headers hanging in my garage I can fit it up to and tell you what the deal is. Just pay the postage and I'll try to help you out. PM me if you're interested.

finepooch 03-14-2009 07:24 AM

have any of you guys ever used the ultra copper? i have used it on every exhaust connection i've ever done! always!