SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   Dont Choke her TOO LONG ! ! ! (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/dont-choke-her-too-long-6795/)

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble 03-26-2005 12:10 AM

Dont Choke her TOO LONG ! ! !

hey guys... just curious.. with all my old bikes and my cbr, i pull out the choke when i first start it... wait until the RPMs start floating up higher (about 30 seconds on my IL4 cbr ) , then push it in and let it puff puff until shes warm. well, is this the same procedure for 90 deg. twins? particularily my new superhawk? just curious if you could just give me some input on what you guys like to do when warming up bike properly without chokin too long and causin unwanted heat or whatever. thanks :P

AZZKIKER 03-26-2005 04:02 AM

Re: Dont Choke her TOO LONG ! ! !

Depending on the outdoor's temp, yes that's what I do. Usually I use it for like 30 sec max.

Jason C 03-26-2005 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by AZZKIKER";p=&quot (Post 3600)
Depending on the outdoor's temp, yes that's what I do. Usually I use it for like 30 sec max.

Same here...no more than 30 seconds, tops.

Hawknut 03-27-2005 08:06 AM

No more than necessary to keep it running. Even with Yosh cans and no carb mods on mine it never takes full choke to start. When it's cold you can tell when you don't have enough choke on and blip the throttle. It'll pop back thru the carbs hard enough to feel thru the tank and seat.

ericsuperhawk 03-27-2005 10:40 AM

I always fire mine up "choked" and within 15 seconds or so I'm backing the choke off some. Within 30 seconds it's off and I'm letting it warm up on its' own. Has anybody else noticed that the temp gauge does hardly move when the bike is warming up? Mine has to be ridden pretty hard to get mich of a rise out of the gauge. Either the bike has an extraordinary cooling system or my temp. sensor doesn't work so well.

99Hawk 03-27-2005 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by ericsuperhawk";p=&quot (Post 3639)
Mine has to be ridden pretty hard to get mich of a rise out of the gauge. Either the bike has an extraordinary cooling system or my temp. sensor doesn't work so well.

My guage hardly moves if it's cool out (less than 60°), between 60 and 70 it will come up slowly, over about 75 the guage seems to come right up into mid range quickly and pretty much stay there unles I get stuck at stop lights. I've considered blocking off some rad when I'm out in temps less than 60° .

ericsuperhawk 03-27-2005 06:23 PM

I guess we have good parade bikes...

vitter 03-29-2005 03:13 PM

I started my bike today, and it would not start with the choke.

so I tried it without the choke and it started fine(13C).

My old GSXR needed the choke in any temps, except 25C+.

faz 03-29-2005 04:34 PM

I was doing it all wrong. I was setting the choke on, keep it on for about 1 minute and then start to ride, and about 1 mile of riding I would turn it off. I have had a couple of cases that this caused rich mixture, which probably caused fouling the plugs, which probably was the cause of bad performance I experienced a couple of times.

Now I only use the choke to startup, and turn it off after about 30 seconds before I start to ride.

jschmidt 03-29-2005 05:44 PM

Its right that you should turn it off as soon as your bike starts to warm up. But it typically takes 1-2 minutes to do so, unless it is really warm. Two minutes won't foul your plugs. Forgetting to turn it off is what fouls plugs.