SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   Does the 1998 Super Hawk shift hard into second gear ? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/does-1998-super-hawk-shift-hard-into-second-gear-34131/)

Rocket Rider 08-26-2016 01:56 PM

Does the 1998 Super Hawk shift hard into second gear ?

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys I just bought a Super Hawk and it seems to shift hard into second gear is that common for this bike ?

E.Marquez 08-26-2016 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Rocket Rider (Post 398112)
Hey guys I just bought a Super Hawk and it seems to shift hard into second gear is that common for this bike ?

Change the oil
Remove the shifter from the pivot pin and clean, lube reinstall, lube the two ball joints
Make sure the "change Arm" is tight on the shift shaft.

See if you get a better feel.
New shifter from DMr and a Factory Pro shift star and arm with detent is a good option as well.

Rocket Rider 08-26-2016 02:51 PM

Thanks for the information.

RedStormJ 08-27-2016 06:51 AM

Does it?

Clunk like dropping a hammer in the case. Mine does that in first or second.
I figured it was because Its a big older bike and neutral is in there.
But dont take me for it Ive had the bike under a month. A lot of my buddies bikes made noise going in first or second.

E.Marquez 08-27-2016 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by RedStormJ (Post 398118)
Clunk like dropping a hammer in the case. Mine does that in first or second.
I figured it was because Its a big older bike and neutral is in there.
But dont take me for it Ive had the bike under a month. A lot of my buddies bikes made noise going in first or second.

Neutral to first is a pretty good clunk 1st to 2nd much less so, pretty much a standard shift so long as you shift it with some authority this is not a $40,000 duc with an electronic shift you can't just ease it into gear or toe tap the shifter

Rocket Rider 08-27-2016 08:56 AM

Cool, maybe it's just because it's an older bike. I sold my 2012 Hayabusa so I'm sure that bike would shift different. I'm looking to eventually buy a BMW 1000RR but man I really like the way this SuperHawk handles in the Twistes and not to mention I picked it up for $2,500

RedStormJ 08-27-2016 10:04 AM

Thanks for the info! I got a fast story on that a maniac tried to ram me and I had to stop quick somehow bunged up the shifter. First was super hard. laid it down after another panic stop and shifts great! dunno why. Either way bad luck then some. just thought yall would get a laugh outta that.

Rocket Rider 08-27-2016 12:01 PM

Now that's some funny s#@#. My Hawk also just decides to die every once in a while when I'm riding it. But at least it starts back up every time so far.

CruxGNZ 08-27-2016 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Rocket Rider (Post 398135)
Now that's some funny s#@#. My Hawk also just decides to die every once in a while when I'm riding it. But at least it starts back up every time so far.

If you haven't done so, sync the carbs and then adjust the idle. If you don't know how to sync the carbs, look up the "Two Bottle" method. It's very cheap and rather simple to accomplish. Also, if you haven't already, you can download the service manual here in the Knowledge Base.

Rocket Rider 08-28-2016 08:36 AM

Thanks Rex I'll give that a try

RedStormJ 08-29-2016 12:43 AM

Thanks from me too!

Bikes been hard to get warmed up and does not feel the same now that the weather has changed. lot colder and wetter. Ill look that up.

kenmoore 08-29-2016 01:36 AM

To help with gear changes you can load up the gear lever shaft that your gear lever bolts to.

The one that comes out of the engine. Remove the gear lever rod from it , rotate it towards the rear of the engine , hold it in that position and refit the rod. Makes for a shorter more positive action and less chance of a clunk as the shifting is a lot more positive. Did that to my bike years ago and no problems.

RedStormJ 08-29-2016 01:38 AM

Ill try it if it has not been done Tonight will be a long night...

E.Marquez 08-29-2016 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by kenmoore (Post 398171)
To help with gear changes you can load up the gear lever shaft that your gear lever bolts to.

The one that comes out of the engine. Remove the gear lever rod from it , rotate it towards the rear of the engine , hold it in that position and refit the rod. Makes for a shorter more positive action and less chance of a clunk as the shifting is a lot more positive. Did that to my bike years ago and no problems.

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ng-hawk-10161/

Doing the short shifter mod will make the lever movement shorter, but will increase the force needed to shift.

Less angle on arm = shorter travel = more force needed.

If you find that is not a distractor to you then it's a great Mod.