SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   DO I HAVE A CHANCE!!! (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/do-i-have-chance-16982/)

chevy 12-15-2008 05:38 PM

99 VTR vs 08 CBR600rr Graffiti!!!

FELLOWS, FELLOW, FELLOWS!!!

Of course I have the infamous Hawk 99 edition, and stretched with the jardine hi mount exhaust other than that i don't know, that was how I bought it.

My cuz has been deciding on a bike to buy, he stated before he was going to get a big boy etc 1100...1200..1300 1st bike.

Anyway long story short he called sunday and said he just purchased the 08 honda 600 cbr graffiti..........Nice Bike.

Once he get his skills up to par he's coming up to Ga From Tampa Fl.........he's already talking about matching up and doing some hard riding........now me myself also just started riding about 4 months in now.

I've heard that many 6's will take out the Hawk which has colossal mid range torque.

Should I be shaking in my boots are stick my chest out and let him see the "S" on my chest!:wheelie:

Do I Have A Chance?:fight:

nuhawk 12-15-2008 05:59 PM

I would do a MSF beginners course and a track day. Then I would let it hang out. If he has no more experience than you - your preparation and your machine will crush him - regardless of what he rides.

chevy 12-15-2008 06:10 PM

Now please remember it is always safety 1st..........drag racing and wheelies are a Not for me, but I will toy with it a bit, well quite often bit no moto racer or knee dragger.............just good ol fun!

However I will prepare for War on the back roads of Thomas County Ga!

nuhawk 12-15-2008 06:16 PM

It's gear first, safety next, horsepower rules. Oh and tires, tires, tires!

killer5280 12-15-2008 07:06 PM

With a stretched hawk you're better off cruising the boulevards than scratching the backroads.
An '08 CBR600 will destroy a VTR. You'll get him in a low rpm roll-on for awhile, but really the VTR is overmatched at everything else.

inderocker 12-15-2008 07:42 PM

Second.... The CBR600RR will blow a VTR away.

VTRsurfer 12-15-2008 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by inderocker (Post 192650)
Second.... The CBR600RR will blow a VTR away.

Sad but true.:(

trinc 12-15-2008 08:18 PM

third ...

unless there is a big rider disparage.

tim

chevy 12-15-2008 08:24 PM

:banghead:

So there goes my motivation..............

:behindsofa:

i guess i'l be behind here for awhile.................

:rotf:

is there anything i can do or do i have to upgrade to a more modern bike........i thought with 996cc i could survive the modern tech of an o8 sportbike 599cc i guess it's not all about cc's...

:trailerin:

just might have to take for a trade or sell...........

j shizzy wizzy 12-15-2008 10:17 PM

For the love of god you guys take it easy!! BE PATIENT!!! Don't ride like a jack ass! Try to force good riding habits!! They will then become habit! Riding over your skill limit can be painful, expense, deadly, or all three. I speak from experience.

RK1 12-16-2008 01:17 AM

For skilled riders, the cbr 600 is faster on the track or in the mountains. In that situation your extended swing arm is a handicap as well.

For straight line acceleration, it's the other way around. That's what extended swing arms are all about.

Yeah, your cousin's new bike is lighter and makes more peak power, but the power that counts is the power you can put on the pavement without doing a ridiculous wheelie.

0-60 mph I'd put my money on your VTR. Probably 0-100 mph as well, but by then, your cousin will be coming up quick.

Tweety 12-16-2008 03:13 AM

On a stock VTR, with an new rider on the 600 I would be able to outrun him... and so would probably most of the more experienced riders here... But it takes a little work...

With a new rider on both, you would probably come out on top in the corners, simple because the VTR is easier to handle and reqiures less precise shifting... Also low speed roll on's you would destroy him... Top end the 600 would be leaving you behind though...

On a stretched VTR I'd be hard pressed to keep up with total newbie in the corners... It's real slow in the corners... It's not exactly flickable...;)

Erik S. 12-16-2008 05:02 AM

I'm glad that some common sense was finally applied. My buddy has that 08 CBR600RR Graffiti. It's based on comfort level and rider skill. I'm more comfortable on my bike, I go faster, I hit the corners harder. Once he's more comfortable, it might be more of challenge.

chevy 12-16-2008 08:54 AM

THis is why I came to u Guy's....great feedback

But I must say again.i'm not trying to go kill myself ..if i feel uncomfortable it's a no go....if i'n scared it's a no go......i know my limits

Little_Horse 12-16-2008 09:23 AM

I would say you have a slight advantage, being as you have had more time with your bike, and the superhawks engine is more manageable and produces even power that is easier for beginners. On a side note I would just cruise. Two new riders shouldn't try and one up each other too many risks and not enough experience to call it quits. And the last thing we want to see is our fellow riders posting injuries and wrecked bike photos.;)

doggerman 12-16-2008 09:32 AM

The Pace- By Nick Ienatsch ....A must read.....

Barch 12-16-2008 10:22 AM

What kind of speeds and cornering conditions do you have to reach before the differences between a 600CBR and Superhawk become evident?

L8RGYZ 12-16-2008 03:08 PM

I say just ride your bike to the limits you're comfortable with. If he ends up being faster, so be it. It's always fun to get the max out of what you have. Heck, maybe even MORE FUN, because you know you're having to work for it. Adapt your style to the strengths of your bike.

RoofCleanPhenom 12-16-2008 04:37 PM

Want to win with the VTR?
Challenge him to a wheelie contest :)

I was amazed when an '05 gsxr 600 pulled away from me on a straight run. When I heard him downshift I looked over and smiled, and twisted my throttle. I'll be damned..., he must have had nos.

When we came to the swurvy curvy roads, I thought he was pulling my leg, and letting my blitz passed him. But no, the gsxr with the stock swingarm, nor the one with the stretch was able to even stay close to the Hawk through the turns.

There are a few other ways to beat that 600:

Pour a few gallons of water in his gas tank the night before :)

Replace his spark plugs with fire crackers :)

Toss a torque wrench between his swingarm and his rear wheel :)

Point and yell "COPS!!", then take off as he slows down :)

Pick a day to race when you know he's got other plans :)

Sell the Hawk, buy an RC-51, and smoke him. ;)

t-dogg 12-16-2008 05:08 PM

I don't even know about that last one. Might be kinda close...

rbrais 12-17-2008 08:00 AM

With the stretched swing-arm, you are pretty much taken out of competing in the twisties. Hawks in general do not handle like the new CBR's. They are European Spourt-Tourning bikes. Mostly sport bike, but not quite as aggressive as a full race model like the CBR. Plus the technology is almost 12 years old.

However, I can hang with my friends who ride CBR's and Ninjas. A good rider can take any bike (well, almost) and hang with better bikes. But a stretched swing arm is only good for the drag strip and the BLVD.

Be smart. This is only your first season on a bike. Don't go and do something that can get you killed. Cars don't see bikes as it is, and they certainly aren't looking for ANYTHING to be moving 70-100 mph on a back road. Not here to preach, but I've been riding the street for 11 years and have made my fair share of mistakes. I'm still here because of a little luck and 23 years of motocross experience.

Remember: Road Rash hurts, cars even more so, and trees......well I assume you don't feel too much when you hit them because you usually just splatter everywhere. Be safe.

LineArrayNut 12-17-2008 09:02 AM

+1

Originally Posted by doggerman (Post 192733)
The Pace- By Nick Ienatsch ....A must read.....

this was a revelation back when I was starting out pushing the limits...

cliby 12-17-2008 12:02 PM

Its easy to get carried away in the excitement when riding - especially when we put our egos on the line. Pushing it hard on public roads is all relative. You have to leave a very wide margin for error, ride within your sight distance. Its a great sport but easy to forget the risks. The thread below is a reminder we should all keep in our head - and these guys are experts not just in riding but in judment and log lots of miles - skill and experience levels far beyond most of ours. Getting involved in track days will show you the real range of skill levels out there and takes away a lot of the urge to push things on the street.

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...hlight=trevitt

RCVTR 12-17-2008 12:49 PM

Agreed!

The fact that you are going into this as a street-racing contest is pure newb nonsense.

Street survival is about gaining enough maturity as rider to not enter into such things.

A little test here and there, sure. But not a who's faster contest. Take that shit to the track.

I'll be sure and keep my distance.

nuhawk 12-17-2008 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by nuhawk (Post 192642)
I would do a MSF beginners course and a track day. Then I would let it hang out. If he has no more experience than you - your preparation and your machine will crush him - regardless of what he rides.

:repost:

Jim TT 12-17-2008 01:31 PM

When I was younger I did go over the top, but now agree with the idea of restraint on the streets, today there is too much traffic, too many police, too much surveillance .....then again if you know a out of the way completely deserted area that is another story

cameron 12-17-2008 02:04 PM

bottom line the cbr should walk all over the hawk.

CentralCoaster 12-17-2008 02:05 PM

Oh great. A chest beating contest between two noobs on bikes. This should be catastrophic.

How about having a competition on who can go the longest without laying the bike down?

chevy 12-17-2008 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster (Post 192964)
Oh great. A chest beating contest between two noobs on bikes. This should be catastrophic.

How about having a competition on who can go the longest without laying the bike down?

:violin:

I think most guy's have it pictured as we are going to line up like MotoGp

maybe a few spot test here and there..............but no real drag race......of course we are both newbies and i do respect the wisdom of my superhawk elders!

I do realize there are many dangers that are incorporated in these fun machines.

Realistically : I can picture 2 newbies being a ass and being catastrophic!

:popcorn:

TODDSPEED 12-17-2008 06:44 PM

I agree that your cousin has the better equipment, but take it from a guy who enjoys passing GSXR 1000s, and 1098s on the outside at track days, skill and confidence mean more than equipment.(and I'm not even that good) Get some serious skills at a track day and have fun smoking "superior bikes" with your bargain ride. BTW lose that swingarm before you get on the track.