SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   Considering a different exhaust (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/considering-different-exhaust-35244/)

cpl rampage 01-11-2019 03:03 PM

Considering a different exhaust

Hi All, I picked up a VTR1000 last year and brought it back to life and ave been riding it up until yesterday. Over this winter my plan was to make it look a bit nicer, the exhaust is scraped up pretty bad, and the chrome is badly pitted and rusting. The exhaust is currently a high mount Jardine RT-one (aluminum can, not CF). It is pretty loud IMO but I could live with it I can pretty them up. On the other hand it might be worth my time I would put into fixing them up to just get a used pair if they are not too expensive. My big concern is getting anything louder than what I have now. Where doe the RT-one stack up as far as volume goes? I am looking at a used set of Microns, are those quieter? About the same?

Any help is appreciated. I have tried comparing videos on YouTube but i feel like it varies wildly with cameras etc.

fabiostar 01-14-2019 01:26 PM

any microns iv heard are pretty loud but well made pipes.

captainchaos 01-14-2019 02:31 PM

Pretty much any aftermarket pipes are going to be "loud." "How" something sounds is extremely subjective but there are some variations between exhausts. Believe it or not the round RT-Ones were a bit quieter than a pair of D&Ds I had previously, which had a sort of "Harley drag pipe" sound to them. The Jardines are still pretty "loud" though, as are most all aftermarket mufflers. You didn't say if they were the black round aluminum or oval aluminum. You'll get a bit higher pitched sound with the round ones than the lower booming bass of a pair of say oval Two Brothers. In all the years the only slip ons I've ever heard that were pretty mellow were a pair of street baffle Yoshimuras. Chances are yours are due for a repack but even so they may still be a bit loud for you and if so I'd stick with a pair of stock mufflers and you can do varying degrees of a bafflectomy if you want a LITTLE more sound. I went for a ride today with my cut down Muzzys and yeah I'm not 20 anymore and they're pretty loud so I get where you're coming from.

I've bought and cleaned up/fixed up and sold a ton of exhausts over the years for these things and if you're considering getting rid of them shoot me a PM and I'll give you my email/cell and as long as they're not completely trashed maybe I can take them off your hands. I usually have an exhaust or two for sale or can at least try to point you in the right direction.

cpl rampage 01-14-2019 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by captainchaos (Post 408848)
Pretty much any aftermarket pipes are going to be "loud." "How" something sounds is extremely subjective but there are some variations between exhausts. Believe it or not the round RT-Ones were a bit quieter than a pair of D&Ds I had previously, which had a sort of "Harley drag pipe" sound to them. The Jardines are still pretty "loud" though, as are most all aftermarket mufflers. You didn't say if they were the black round aluminum or oval aluminum. You'll get a bit higher pitched sound with the round ones than the lower booming bass of a pair of say oval Two Brothers. In all the years the only slip ons I've ever heard that were pretty mellow were a pair of street baffle Yoshimuras. Chances are yours are due for a repack but even so they may still be a bit loud for you and if so I'd stick with a pair of stock mufflers and you can do varying degrees of a bafflectomy if you want a LITTLE more sound. I went for a ride today with my cut down Muzzys and yeah I'm not 20 anymore and they're pretty loud so I get where you're coming from.

I've bought and cleaned up/fixed up and sold a ton of exhausts over the years for these things and if you're considering getting rid of them shoot me a PM and I'll give you my email/cell and as long as they're not completely trashed maybe I can take them off your hands. I usually have an exhaust or two for sale or can at least try to point you in the right direction.

Thanks for the feedback. I love the sound of the Jardines, they are the black round aluminum ones. I know they are definitely not the loudest pipes out there, I just didn't want to get anything that might be significantly louder. They also might be due for a repack as well, they had been sitting for the past 8 years, and I know the history of probably the 5 years before that as the previous owner is a co-worker, but based on the damage to these they probably had a fair number of miles before he had it. At certain RPMs/load I get a fair bit of noise in my helmet, might be a further pointer to needing a repack.

I was contemplating stripping, tig welding up the damage and re-chroming the exposed chrome ends of the cans, but considering my time to fix them up and I have no idea how much chroming costs, and then probably the cost to repack on top of that made me reconsider. Also, I drilled out the pop rivets that held the end caps on, but when they didn't come out right away I took a few minutes to see what I could get as an alternative. I ended up buying a used set of low mount micros that are local to me, picking them up on Saturday. I will have to wait a bit to hear how they sound as I took the tank off to fix the terrible paint unfortunately. Depending on how they fit up, maybe I can combine the high mount pipes with the microns, I do like the look better. After I figure out what I end up doing, I may get rid of the Jardines, if so, one guy already asked about them but if that doesn't happen I can reach out to you.

Thanks again!

smokinjoe73 01-14-2019 07:51 PM

I would bet they need a repack. My CF 2 brothers go through packing about once a year and they are like MotoGP when they need packing. They get really loud and raspy sounding. Consider a repack