SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   Cold? Naw, get on. (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/cold-naw-get-34784/)

smokinjoe73 11-28-2017 08:55 PM

Cold? Naw, get on.

1 Attachment(s)
Nice that after a scant 15yrs of (mostly) blissful marriage my wife will still go out in chilly temps to ride.

CruxGNZ 11-28-2017 11:27 PM

Lucky! If that was my wife, we'd be dragging extension cords plugged into an electric blanket and she'd be complaining how she isn't watching reruns of the Golden Girls or Grey's Anatomy.

Floyd 11-29-2017 05:10 AM

Lucky dude! My wife will never ride on my bike.
Now if I can get her, her own bike then maybe we can ride...

smokinjoe73 11-29-2017 06:07 AM

Haha, yes I feel very blessed. When we were dating our record was 9*F that we rode from Brooklyn to Manhattan. That's when I knew she was "the one".
Plus I was gonna propose marriage at the top of the world trade center but it was blown up in front of my eyes so that was a sign from God. What a day that was.....

Badboy01 11-29-2017 11:14 AM

She is a motorcycle rider's dream sent from heaven. Happiness to you both...

skokievtr 12-07-2017 04:36 PM

My wife of about 38 years rode a couple of times with me before we got hitched when I lived in San Diego (yeh crazy I moved to Chicago for her love). On one of those rides she cut her hands when we tipped over when I stopped and my foot slid out on gravel marbles, and on the other ride I hit a false neutral on my 1980 Honda CB750F (common with those tranies) while passing a couple of cars and of course an 18-wheeler appeared just then coming the other way on the 2 lane. No wonder she never rode with me again and wouldn't let our 3 kids (now grown and OOTH) ride copilot either. She also does not like to be a car passenger with me as she says I drive like I ride.

However, she never begrudged me one dime that I spent on motorcycles, bicycles and guns until recently for some unknown reason and won't tell me why; though I suspect it was buying a leftover 2015 Yamaha FJ-09* a year ago this last July when we were flat broke [and still are]. She also always pays on time my life insurance premium. When she does say something to me when I'm heading out the door for a ride, she sometimes says "Make me a rich widow!". She also promised to cast me in a big block of clear acrylic on my VTR with all the gear on, presumably with a tinted face shield on on one of my flip-front helmets.

BTW, I rode Monday but it was a freakish 62F here but with 45 mph gusts and a bit of rain. Today it was a dry, sunny 25F at 15:00 but I had to work; and 3" of snow is forecast for Friday...

*Now with 23,000 on the clock, and consequently I put less than 3,000 miles on my 98 107k mile VTR this year.

smokinjoe73 12-07-2017 07:21 PM

The rest of the wonder is that in 20yrs of roadracing she has been my pit crew. Helping wrench, getting lap times and grids, tire warmers etc. Saw me ambulanced off the track a few times and helped get my leathers off with broken collar bones and scapulas. (23 broken bones in all). We just bought a new ( to us) camper at the end of last season and plan to race again next year. Awesome... God is good, I sure couldn't have pulled this off on my own steam..

NHSH 12-07-2017 08:15 PM

Good for you brother, God bless both of you.

E.Marquez 12-08-2017 09:23 AM

My wife and I went for a ride in 40deg (before wind chill) weather just the other day....though she rides her own bike, last time she was on the back of mine was 1990 or so. She is more of a fair weather rider, so we wont often go out if its already wet and cold, but if it changes while out she is a trooper, never complains, we just make the best of it get warm together at home.....:wheelie: of course thats only a few min so a warm shower helps as well.:D

I rode home day before yesterday in 33 deg wet weather.(before wind chill)...Riding to the friends house to help him with his new to him 2015 GT500 Mustang in cold weather seemed like a good idea.. One piece suit , snug as a bug..no big deal..then it started raining, and stayed cold....was a miserable ride home soaked and freezing. Thats what i get for not looking at weather report or taking rain gear just in case.

smokinjoe73 12-08-2017 01:08 PM

Some of my worst riding has been in 32* rain. Just miserable.

skokievtr 12-08-2017 02:41 PM

My worst cold and wet ride was in mid-September of all months.

I was at the final race of the inaugural Indy MotoGP that my man Val won.

The big race was shortened because a tornado like micro-burst came thru.

I then, following the plight path of the USS Minnow, started what I hoped would be a 3 and a half hour tour home to Skokie (north of Chicago near the Lake).

It ended up taking more than 12 and a half solid wretched hours!

About 7 inches of rain blew sideways on me and my VTR that day.

It was dark as night, the temperature dropped 30 degrees, the breather hose on my VTR was underwater and I had to open the gas cap with my spare key every few minutes when it started coughing, cagers were recklessly blowing by at 60+, I had to crawl up the greasy slope of interlocking pcc pavers under an overpass on i65 to change to a clear face shield, my Stitch leaked and I didn't put on my rain suit, which would of been of little help at that point, I developed major hypothermia while lost initially in Dolton, the armpit of Illinois, crossing back and forth over creeks on 100 year old iron bridges with open grated decks, I also waited and passed over dozens of train crossing that had to traffic control gates because i65, 90, 80, and 94 and 1,000s of secondary roads all closed due to flooding, it was every man for themselves.

I should remind you that it was pouring the entire ride and angry and scared cagers were the whole way bumper-to-bumper?

I rode through water above my knees expecting the carbs to suck H2O.

I still to this day can't believe I survived that ride through Hell. There was nowhere to stop, as all the cagers and truckers grabbed every square inch of dry if not warm cover...

https://www.cycleworld.com/2008/09/1...ndianapolis-gp

https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KORD/2008/9/14/MonthlyHistory.html?req_city=&req_state=&req_state name=&reqdb.zip=&reqdb.magic=&reqdb.wmo=

https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KIND/2008/9/16/DailyHistory.html?req_city=&req_state=&req_statena me=&reqdb.zip=&reqdb.magic=&reqdb.wmo=

My poor wife was home alone and did not dare risk trying for the first time to use our wet-dry vac, and spent the DAY trying to catch up with rising water seeping in the basement with an old cotton mop.

I still hear about how motorcycles also almost killed her that day.

Woman are like elephants, they never forget ANYTHING!