SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   Buying a 2000 VTR1000, What to look for (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/buying-2000-vtr1000-what-look-35275/)

jon570 02-13-2019 11:25 AM

Buying a 2000 VTR1000, What to look for

Im going this weekend to look at a very clean looking 2000 vtr1000 with approx 20k miles. Seller sent me a video of the engine starting cold until he turned the choke off and revving slightly. Everything sounded great and the bike looked amazing for its age. What else can i check or should check while im there to pick it up. I knot the CCT ( i believe thats it) can go bad in these but is there a way to tell of they are failing or would there be a noise? Thanks for any input.

Wicky 02-13-2019 12:58 PM

Re. CCT the tensioners are binary - they either work as intended or don't - very little or no gray area between a functioning unsnapped spring and a broken CCT resulting in engine damage...

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sup...e9ce983315.png

CCT broken spring.

Have a read the threads on the subject as to what's you choose as the best preventative solution or if you want to trust to luck. Don't let that put you off as once addressed the VTR is a very reliable bike, easy to work on and with plenty of spares available as for a Honda it was relatively unchanged in production for just under a decade.

Also check the R/R to see if a later finned version is fitted or ideally a FH MOSFET. And even with low miles while good in some respects could mean tires, brake pads, fluids + filters, C&S & other service parts could be due a overdue a change based on age rather miles covered.

jon570 02-13-2019 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Wicky (Post 409236)
Re. CCT the tensioners are binary - they either work as intended or don't - very little or no gray area between a functioning unsnapped spring and a broken CCT resulting in engine damage...

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sup...e9ce983315.png

CCT broken spring.

Have a read the threads on the subject as to what's you choose as the best preventative solution or if you want to trust to luck. Don't let that put you off as once addressed the VTR is a very reliable bike, easy to work on and with plenty of spares available as for a Honda it was relatively unchanged in production for just under a decade.

Also check the R/R to see if a later finned version is fitted or ideally a FH MOSFET. And even with low miles while good in some respects could mean tires, brake pads, fluids + filters, C&S & other service parts could be due a overdue a change based on age rather miles covered.

i appreciate the input. The tires and brakes were reportedly replaced recently. I will be checking them over as well as the chain. Ill read into the fixes for the CCT and see what option would work best.

NHSH 02-13-2019 08:53 PM

What Wicky said pretty much sums up the potencial big issues, other than that, in addition just look for the usual suspects, scraps, road rash from going down, cracks in plastics, lights and so on, though it's cosmetic, it all adds up.

Floyd 02-14-2019 05:35 AM

Just look for whats been mentioned. I have a 00' hawk and love it

jon570 02-14-2019 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by NHSH (Post 409245)
What Wicky said pretty much sums up the potencial big issues, other than that, in addition just look for the usual suspects, scraps, road rash from going down, cracks in plastics, lights and so on, though it's cosmetic, it all adds up.

The bike it self appears pretty clean as far as scraped and marks go. Ill be checking over the cosmetic items as well as driving it down the road through all the gears to make sure its running properly. The only thing it doesnt have is the front turn signals. They had apparently been removed for some reason years back but the seller has told me the wiring is still there for it. So ill be checking that as well. Im very mechanically inclined and im not afraid to do some work, i just want to make this isnt a pile of junk.

CaryDG 02-14-2019 09:03 AM

Welcome and you are on the right forum. The members here will guide you down the road to enjoy your Super Hawk to it's fullest. Search and Enjoy!

jon570 02-14-2019 10:11 AM

on a side note. Did honda ever redesign the cct? Instead of going the manual route maybe they made a redesign and fixed the issue and i could just throw a new set of tensioners in.

Felix Barrao 02-14-2019 11:34 AM

You never know... Some people say yes, other not... I was a little reticent at the beginning to change them for manuals, but finally I did it, and I´m happy now. You are not depending of one spring ( that fails) for breaking your engine. Totally recommended..

Wolverine 02-14-2019 04:32 PM

Welcome to the forum Jon. Where ya from?

xeris 02-14-2019 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by jon570 (Post 409253)
on a side note. Did honda ever redesign the cct? Instead of going the manual route maybe they made a redesign and fixed the issue and i could just throw a new set of tensioners in.

No. All production years use the same part number.

14520-MBB-013

You might want to consider this option https://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewt...p?f=31&t=19416

jon570 02-14-2019 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Wolverine (Post 409255)
Welcome to the forum Jon. Where ya from?

Western maryland. Cumberland. Not too awful far from you.

E.Marquez 02-15-2019 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by jon570 (Post 409253)

My opinion based on looking at more than a dozen across the whole range of years is NO, never updated, never changed .. Now that said, its possible the actual part supplier changed the spring material, heat treating, or something else that can not be easily observed by eye. The reason I still do not think even that happened is,,, there was not a new part number issued,,which would happen even if it was just a revision of the same design.

In addition to what others suggested, Id suggest taking a volt meter with you. The bike model is known for failed regulators, corroded, melted regulator connectors and a sure sign of either would be low charging voltage.

If you buy, highly suggest upgrading the RR to a modern MOSFET type to avoid the failed RR that is a pretty sure bet to happen at some point. Sometimes it just cost you an RR and battery, sometimes that and a wiring harness repair, ECU and cluster replacement.

jon570 02-15-2019 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by E.Marquez (Post 409260)
My opinion based on looking at more than a dozen across the whole range of years is NO, never updated, never changed .. Now that said, its possible the actual part supplier changed the spring material, heat treating, or something else that can not be easily observed by eye. The reason I still do not think even that happened is,,, there was not a new part number issued,,which would happen even if it was just a revision of the same design.

In addition to what others suggested, Id suggest taking a volt meter with you. The bike model is known for failed regulators, corroded, melted regulator connectors and a sure sign of either would be low charging voltage.

If you buy, highly suggest upgrading the RR to a modern MOSFET type to avoid the failed RR that is a pretty sure bet to happen at some point. Sometimes it just cost you an RR and battery, sometimes that and a wiring harness repair, ECU and cluster replacement.

Is there any good place to buy a kit that is a one stop shop? I have ordered manual tensioners ( i can return if i dont end up buying the bike).

RickB 02-15-2019 04:46 PM

Like others have said the manual CCT are the way to go so good to hear you ordered those. I have an '02 with the upgraded/ finned OEM R/R and its original but it certainly wouldn't be a bad idea to swap it in the near future... Other than those things they are nearly bullet-proof, only had to do regular maintenance on my 17 y/o baby. If it doesn't work out you surely can find a good one here or other sources - it's a blast to own one!

E.Marquez 02-16-2019 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by jon570 (Post 409264)
Is there any good place to buy a kit that is a one stop shop? I have ordered manual tensioners ( i can return if i dont end up buying the bike).

I know a guy

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...48-00-a-34792/

And for your reading pleasure
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...why-how-25117/

Reading displeasure
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...archid=1527809

jon570 02-18-2019 10:48 AM

Well, i bought the bike. It ran great. no noises or any strange things. Everything checked out great. MCCT will be here late this week. probably put them in this weekend. Then i need to get the bike inspected and see if it needs anything. Also had already purchased an upgraded RR from an R1 that i have seen others wire in.

jon570 02-18-2019 12:14 PM

Also, the PO told me the original plastics were cracked and junk so he replaced them all and had the new ones painted. In doing so he either filled or blocked the original front turn signal holes. All the wiring is still there so no issues with that. But does anyone know of a turn signal option for the front that doesnt require me to drill holes in the plastics?

E.Marquez 02-18-2019 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by jon570 (Post 409305)
Also, the PO told me the original plastics were cracked and junk so he replaced them all and had the new ones painted. In doing so he either filled or blocked the original front turn signal holes. All the wiring is still there so no issues with that. But does anyone know of a turn signal option for the front that doesnt require me to drill holes in the plastics?

There are many low profile "stick on" front turn signal options out there, but even those the wire has to get to the other side of the fairing .. You could wrap it around the faring to the inside, but that would be, well hackery of the highest order.

If you were willing to drill a 6mm (1/4")hole or so, the wire could go though that and the instal would be a lot cleaner

The aftermarket ABS plastics I have had my hands on are thinner than OEM and more brittle...So easily damaged.

In example,, with OEM plastics, if the bike while moving it leans over against the rider and puts significant weight on the plastics, no damage is likely,,,that same think with aftermarket is likely to result in a crack

jon570 02-18-2019 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by E.Marquez (Post 409306)
There are many low profile "stick on" front turn signal options out there, but even those the wire has to get to the other side of the fairing .. You could wrap it around the faring to the inside, but that would be, well hackery of the highest order.

If you were willing to drill a 6mm (1/4")hole or so, the wire could go though that and the instal would be a lot cleaner

The aftermarket ABS plastics I have had my hands on are thinner than OEM and more brittle...So easily damaged.

In example,, with OEM plastics, if the bike while moving it leans over against the rider and puts significant weight on the plastics, no damage is likely,,,that same think with aftermarket is likely to result in a crack

Im not so much against drilling a hole. The only problem is MAryland is stupid with their inspections. Most places want the lights to have the DOT stamp on them for them to approve it (stupid, yes i know, but welcome to maryland). I can find lights all day but most dont have DOT on them

Wicky 02-18-2019 04:02 PM

Can you find DOT approved mirrors with built indicators

or these 'trafficators'

NHSH 02-18-2019 05:00 PM

Just get the OEM turn signals for the sake of the inspection, after that... just do whatever you like, it takes no time to connect them.
Someone here must have an extra pair they don't use

jon570 02-18-2019 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by NHSH (Post 409312)
Just get the OEM turn signals for the sake of the inspection, after that... just do whatever you like, it takes no time to connect them.

I would appreciate any help in that manner but i may have found a decent set i actually like that are DOT approved. Just gotta shop around for the best price on them.

E.Marquez 02-18-2019 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by NHSH (Post 409312)

No place to mount them his plastics have no mounting holes .
Have you checked your inspection rules? I find many times our local TX inspectors do not fully understand the rules for inspection

jon570 02-18-2019 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by E.Marquez (Post 409316)
No place to mount them his plastics have no mounting holes .
Have you checked your inspection rules? I find many times our local TX inspectors do not fully understand the rules for inspection

I have read some things. and it varies depending on who you take it to. But in my area it seems theyre pretty strict on this one thing. Ill probably source some oem style ones and just get the ones i want once everything is inspected

E.Marquez 02-19-2019 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by jon570 (Post 409318)
I have read some things. and it varies depending on who you take it to. But in my area it seems theyre pretty strict on this one thing. Ill probably source some oem style ones and just get the ones i want once everything is inspected

I think you should take a look at MD laws and rules covering inspections. They way I read it, they have no authority to do anything but check that the turn signals work.11.14.03.08
Procedures:" (1) Actuate turn signal lever to right and left and observe function of turn signal lamps (if equipped). Motorcycles manufactured after January 1, 1973 shall have turn signals.
Reject Vehicle If: (2) Turn signals do not properly indicate right and left when so switched.
Now there could be some other law, statute or rule they feel they are following, but if so, and they failed my bike, that inspector and the shop owner would be showing me specifically why and what law, statute or rule they are claiming gives them the authority to. MD inspection stations rules look a lot like Tx does.. Once a shop certifies for and takes on inspections they can no longer refuse to do one....So they can not just tell you forget it, here is you money back, we don't want your business.

I've had issues with inspectors here failing bikes for non working turn signals.... only problem is, turn signals are not an inspectable item in TX... So they can be there or not, working or not, the inspector has no authority to even consider them, never mind inspect them.....Inspectors were being TOLD in class to check the signals by one of the instructors,,, but not all and the statutes and procedures do not support that, nor give authority to.

Just like the MD statues say (to me) the MD insectors only gets to see that the switch and turn signal lights up and canceals... That is ALL they inspector is supposed to be checking for...again, unless they are citing some other rule or statute to cover the DOD part.

E.Marquez 02-19-2019 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by E.Marquez (Post 409320)
I think you should take a look at MD laws and rules covering inspections. They way I read it, they have no authority to do anything but check that the turn signals work.11.14.03.08
Procedures:" (1) Actuate turn signal lever to right and left and observe function of turn signal lamps (if equipped). Motorcycles manufactured after January 1, 1973 shall have turn signals.
Reject Vehicle If: (2) Turn signals do not properly indicate right and left when so switched.
Now there could be some other law, statute or rule they feel they are following, but if so, and they failed my bike, that inspector and the shop owner would be showing me specifically why and what law, statute or rule they are claiming gives them the authority to. MD inspection stations rules look a lot like Tx does.. Once a shop certifies for and takes on inspections they can no longer refuse to do one....So they can not just tell you forget it, here is you money back, we don't want your business.

I've had issues with inspectors here failing bikes for non working turn signals.... only problem is, turn signals are not an inspectable item in TX... So they can be there or not, working or not, the inspector has no authority to even consider them, never mind inspect them.....Inspectors were being TOLD in class to check the signals by one of the instructors,,, but not all and the statutes and procedures do not support that, nor give authority to.

Just like the MD statues say (to me) the MD insectors only gets to see that the switch and turn signal lights up and canceals... That is ALL they inspector is supposed to be checking for...again, unless they are citing some other rule or statute to cover the DOD part.

OK okokok

I bet I know what they are doing.... they are reading the title of the lighting subsection and INFERRING an inspection requirement not codified in the actual standards.."11.14.03.08. 08 Lighting.. General Lamp and Reflector Inspection. This includes all original exterior lighting, plus whatever lamps are authorized."
But when you go to the actual standards for inspection where it lays out what the inspector specifically has to look for, how the law defines the general abstract heading...we see there is no requirement to have a DOD turn signal..It flashes or it does not. If MD inspection officers are forcing station operator to do more then the law allows Id get an action group together and force them to address the issue... Take the legal actions of lawmakers to rewrite the law or stop abusing the authority... Class action lawsuit filed against the MD inspection department leadership should do it.....

E.Marquez 02-19-2019 04:36 AM

May need group help

Hey folks, we may need to work up a bail fund for jon570 .......I kind of set him on that path...:p

jon570 02-19-2019 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by E.Marquez (Post 409321)
OK okokok

I bet I know what they are doing.... they are reading the title of the lighting subsection and INFERRING an inspection requirement not codified in the actual standards.."11.14.03.08. 08 Lighting.. General Lamp and Reflector Inspection. This includes all original exterior lighting, plus whatever lamps are authorized."
But when you go to the actual standards for inspection where it lays out what the inspector specifically has to look for, how the law defines the general abstract heading...we see there is no requirement to have a DOD turn signal..It flashes or it does not. If MD inspection officers are forcing station operator to do more then the law allows Id get an action group together and force them to address the issue... Take the legal actions of lawmakers to rewrite the law or stop abusing the authority... Class action lawsuit filed against the MD inspection department leadership should do it.....

Originally Posted by E.Marquez (Post 409322)
Hey folks, we may need to work up a bail fund for jon570 .......I kind of set him on that path...:p

HAHAH!. I know man, the inspection law is so vague but i know these people around here take it to the extreme. Ill just get some cheapie DOT lights and then install what i like and keep the dot lights as a back up.

jon570 02-23-2019 02:52 PM

Well, i installed my blinkers today and did the MCCT. Everything went well for both of those. I had also bought an R1 R/R to replace the junk honda one and when i took the tail fairing off there was what looked to be an upgraded R/R. This one appeared twice as big as stock and had cooling fins all on top of it. So im guessing someone beat me to that.