SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   Braced my swingarm (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/braced-my-swingarm-18190/)

gboezio 04-14-2009 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by Malice (Post 210742)
I would almost guarantee the frame is not heat treated due to the cast pieces that are part of it. Unless in 1997 Honda decided to start using a vacuum casting process, which I seriously doubt, they would not be able to heat treat the finished frame.

So cast alloys are not heat treatable ?? Good to know.
I figured out that for production purposes it may be cheaper to build a heavier frame not heat treated.
The more I look at it the more I see benefits to reinforce some parts of the frame, that swing arm really looks like it could use some stiffness.
For those who did, how is the ride now ??

Bikephreak 04-14-2009 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by steve.g (Post 209849)
Got my swingarm done. Found a nice carbon fiber chainguard for a 900rr that fits. Still not sure what the final finish will be, maybe silver powdercoat, but whatever I choose, won't do it till next winter....:D

Looks very nice. Makes me want to brace mine as well.

cliby 04-14-2009 06:34 AM

am I wrong in my admittedly superficial understanding of these things? but I thought to properly weld to reenforce a frame required the frame to be placed into a jig to ensure no shifting during the heating of welding, or you could lose as much as you gain in other areas? Am I just stuck in the steel frame era?

hawxter996 04-14-2009 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by cliby (Post 210782)
am I wrong in my admittedly superficial understanding of these things? but I thought to properly weld to reenforce a frame required the frame to be placed into a jig to ensure no shifting during the heating of welding, or you could lose as much as you gain in other areas? Am I just stuck in the steel frame era?

thats why i braced mine with the engine still firmly mounted.

gboezio 04-14-2009 07:14 AM

You could just tack weld it and let it cool, then weld in small passes, letting the heat spread in the piece or letting it completely cool between passes, it should stay straight.

So we are talking about sideways movement, up/down or both ??

hawxter996 04-14-2009 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by gboezio (Post 210795)
You could just tack weld it and let it cool, then weld in small passes, letting the heat spread in the piece or letting it completely cool between passes, it should stay straight.

twisting i believe.

cliby 04-14-2009 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by gboezio (Post 210795)

right I thought it was unpredictable and based on whatever stress at rest was present and could allow movement when heated

Malice 04-14-2009 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by gboezio (Post 210772)
So cast alloys are not heat treatable

That is correct due to the porosity inherent in the casting process caused by small air pockets that get trapped during the cooling process.
________
Yamaha Yx600 Radian History