SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   Been quiet around here lately (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/been-quiet-around-here-lately-35260/)

NHSH 01-29-2019 08:13 PM

Been quiet around here lately

I'm just wondering, how many active members we actually have on the forum?
I know that our bikes are going away slowly, beeing so far out of production, but I'm by far not ready to give up on this forum and this bike, it's one of the best work horses on 2 wheels and one of the best forums I have been on... And I am on more than a few for my other family of 2 wheels.
Maybe we can come up with some more creative ways of getting more excitement here, more people, organized trips, whatever...

E.Marquez 01-30-2019 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by NHSH (Post 408999)
I'm just wondering, how many active members we actually have on the forum?
I know that our bikes are going away slowly, beeing so far out of production, but I'm by far not ready to give up on this forum and this bike, it's one of the best work horses on 2 wheels and one of the best forums I have been on... And I am on more than a few for my other family of 2 wheels.
Maybe we can come up with some more creative ways of getting more excitement here, more people, organized trips, whatever...

Me me me...

I see more activity on the FB group or the UK site then here... No idea why..
I mostly post links to this site on common stuff asked.... but for some reason FB users seem less likely to be part of a forum like this , Me No Know Why

This very second we have 88 Users Online (2 members and 86 guests)

Aquasnake 01-30-2019 09:22 AM

Hey, I still lurk here almost daily! 8^)
​​​

NH-Raptor 01-30-2019 03:23 PM

I'm still here NHSH. I visit this forum twice daily generally in the morning and evening. I have always enjoyed reading what others post here.

Floyd 01-30-2019 04:58 PM

Likewise I check the boards but normally have nothing to say most of the time. My 00' hawk runs fine at the moment!

NHSH 01-30-2019 07:37 PM

This forum also kept me busy in these long winters of the north east having my PMS or as most know it as Parked Motorcycle Syndrome, you guy's in the center getting really subfreezing winter now, Siberian weather like...

superhawk138 01-31-2019 07:41 AM

I stop by a couple times a day to check out new post and stuff. I believe the forum will see more traffic as spring gets here and people start getting their bikes ready to ride. I'll hop on mine when it's a decent day out and not too cold.

rothmans 02-02-2019 06:26 AM

New here, lurker for awhile but back on my Superhawk project so will post a bit more...all forums kid of quiet these days.

jamesvtr 02-02-2019 08:57 AM

Im still here to cold and icy to ride though -18 as we speak i come have a look basically every sat this time of the year its work snowmobiling and ice fishing

Tonyizcool1 02-02-2019 09:07 AM

I'm Back!! I've been gone for about 10 years.... I finally picked myself up another Superhawk last weekend.
I've noticed the same thing.... seems quite around here, still lots of good info, but not a whole lot of new content.

NHSH 02-02-2019 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Tonyizcool1 (Post 409050)
I'm Back!! I've been gone for about 10 years.... I finally picked myself up another Superhawk last weekend.
I've noticed the same thing.... seems quite around here, still lots of good info, but not a whole lot of new content.

That is awesome and welcome back, thumbs up.

M.Shandy 02-03-2019 09:59 AM

So I also spend alot of time lurking and reading threads that have been previously written "mostly because I do not want to be the guy who asks about something that has been covered thousands of times" but I do check it out at least ten times a week and more often whenever I am struggling with something.

Wolverine 02-03-2019 11:48 AM

I think FB really took a bunch of the activity. Since we used to have to image host here, it was much easier to post pics chat there. Now that we can upload to the boards, I find it much more convenient than a few years ago. Plus they took away the active topics tab, dammit. But I do prefer the company that we hold. I find it to be a mature, self moderating crew on this forum. Best I've been a part of. While the Ducati guys do have great camaraderie, most are not super knowledgeable about the mechanical side, so you do not get the quality advice that you can on this forum.

I'm all for reviving activity. I've tried to get a group meet organized with very little enthusiasm so I kinda let it go. I have met up with a few locals over the years. Most are not close enough to make it an easy affair.

NHSH 02-03-2019 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Wolverine (Post 409107)
I think FB really took a bunch of the activity. Since we used to have to image host here, it was much easier to post pics chat there. Now that we can upload to the boards, I find it much more convenient than a few years ago. Plus they took away the active topics tab, dammit. But I do prefer the company that we hold. I find it to be a mature, self moderating crew on this forum. Best I've been a part of. While the Ducati guys do have great camaraderie, most are not super knowledgeable about the mechanical side, so you do not get the quality advice that you can on this forum.

I'm all for reviving activity. I've tried to get a group meet organized with very little enthusiasm so I kinda let it go. I have met up with a few locals over the years. Most are not close enough to make it an easy affair.

True, I find the Ducati crowd a bit missing the spark! Being a biker, you need to know at list the basics of mechanics and how your bike is operating, many on the Ducati forums have no idea what they talking about, with misinformation at times and even though allot more of them, you get very poor response on the technical side, the most responses you see is the usual... types of oils and tires, basically just opinions...

fabiostar 02-05-2019 09:49 AM

i still fly by when i can,

8541Hawk 02-13-2019 08:16 AM

Well for me it is rather simple.....I tried to be a bit more active and was then written up with a "forum warning" that I was "insulting to forum member(s)"
All this because someone claimed a brand of brake pads were the best ever and I disagreed.
Of course much like Tweety of old, I tend to be a bit blunt and yes I said IMHO they suck but still.
After my statement there was no discussion on why I had my opinion just how could I possibly say such a thing about these parts and how great they are.
Then when I asked if anyone actually tried the alternative options, there seemed to be a communication break down as all I got back was can't you see in my signature line I use them (of course the parts they referred to were the bits I said were not so hot) ......never seeming to comprehend that I was talking about the better options that are available.
For me it's kind of hard to understand how folks can get upset and argue that 1 part functions as well as another option(s) available when they have never tried them.

This left me with the feeling that this place really isn't a spot to openly discuss bike stuff but much more follow along with the status quo or be written up and\or banned.
Which leaves very little motivation to be very active around here.

CaryDG 02-13-2019 09:46 AM

The clincher is "IMHO". When a member makes a statement followed by that acronym, I accept that as their opinion. Not necessarily as irrefutable fact or the only way, just their experiential opinion. Most times worthy of investigation. Many times I can form my own "informed" opinion by the said information. Staunch opinions and haters seem to be the demise of many forums. It appears that as membership wains, each "opinion" becomes a larger percentage of the whole, geometrically. Personally, I try to glean what works, for me, and file the rest. My '98 would not be the bike it is today if it weren't for ALL the members input. I just TRY to not point out where I think someone's opinion is "wrong".
Just the musings of an old SH lover.

E.Marquez 02-13-2019 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk (Post 409230)
This left me with the feeling that this place really isn't a spot to openly discuss bike stuff but much more follow along with the status quo or be written up and\or banned.
Which leaves very little motivation to be very active around here..

Mike, you’re as welcome here now as you were the day you made your first post.

All we ask from all is be polite, don't make claims of fact when it's really just an opinion, don't get mad when others read opinions and consider them unhelpful when it was facts they asked for, don't speak down to folks because they don't agree with an opinion and overall enjoy the conversation...

That applies to all, and nothing I just wrote is aimed at you, so please don't take offence or think it is some backhanded way to "attack you" it’s not... If there was an issue with a member, any member I can guarantee it would be very well known and public... I won't speak for our other MOD, but I will say for myself, I’m neither shy nor unwilling to make it known a member is acting inappropriately.... If I felt you were, you'd know it in this post right here, and or you would not be able to post at all as you would have been removed from the group...

That has happened to only a handful of liars and cheats in my time here.

So post up, the more the merrier.... We all get smarter from reading others content... that's true if we agree with it or not, it’s true if we want to emulate the procedure the settings , the purchase or we want to make sure we never make that mistake...LOL

Enjoy the forum, that’s why it’s here.

Erik

Wolverine 02-13-2019 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk (Post 409230)
Well for me it is rather simple.....I tried to be a bit more active and was then written up with a "forum warning" that I was "insulting to forum member(s)"
All this because someone claimed a brand of brake pads were the best ever and I disagreed.
Of course much like Tweety of old, I tend to be a bit blunt and yes I said IMHO they suck but still.
After my statement there was no discussion on why I had my opinion just how could I possibly say such a thing about these parts and how great they are.
Then when I asked if anyone actually tried the alternative options, there seemed to be a communication break down as all I got back was can't you see in my signature line I use them (of course the parts they referred to were the bits I said were not so hot) ......never seeming to comprehend that I was talking about the better options that are available.
For me it's kind of hard to understand how folks can get upset and argue that 1 part functions as well as another option(s) available when they have never tried them.

Which leaves very little motivation to be very active around here.

Dude, move on...

CaryDG 02-13-2019 08:09 PM

Cold it be that we're dealing with a bike that has been out of production for 14+ years? I've watched similar "fading" forums with other old vehicles I own and love. i.e.; my 1987 Toyota MR2, and my 2001 Kawasaki KDX 200. Opinions and feeling are strong when we are passionate about something. I have gained so much knowledge from this forum and would hate to see ANYBODY abandon it.
Besides, my opinion is the only right one! LOL

NHSH 02-13-2019 08:36 PM

Guy's, let's be civil, I started this thread because I really care about this forum and actually think it's one of the best and most knowledgeable forums around for a specific bike.
Every member here contribute from a simple comment to an overhaul write ups, whatever the case is, let's not dwell on some misunderstandings... words in writing seem to always look more aggressive, while I'm sure that was not the intent.

Mike, your inputs and impact in this forum are without a doubt huge, I would hate to see you disappear.
I am still very grateful for your carb setup you presented in amazing details, it's the best setup I had on any VTR I worked on... and I tried different setups on several bikes.

Let's try to keep this place alive and vibrant! All opinions matter!
Cheers

Wolverine 02-14-2019 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by CaryDG (Post 409242)
my 2001 Kawasaki KDX 200.

Awesome! I grew up on a KD80. Wish I had an odometer on that bike, I put many many hours on it. I always had the hots for the KDX200. It was a dream machine.

CaryDG 02-14-2019 08:59 AM

I built (with the help of the KDX forum and Jeff Fredette, 29 time ISDE medalist) a 2001 KDX200. I won my first District 37 Desert race at 54 on that bike. Unfortunately I had to give up desert racing at 62 due to health issues. Much like our Super Hawks, it was obsolete and archaic but, it was a passion.

Wolverine 02-15-2019 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by NHSH (Post 409243)
Guy's, let's be civil

Everthing is fine around here until...

RickB 02-16-2019 08:02 AM

I’m still here ��

kenmoore 02-16-2019 12:47 PM

You guys don't know how lucky you are to have this resource.

i am on the Aussie forum and it is way slower than here.

i wish I was in the States and could meet up with you guys and compare bikes.

I believe that part of the reason that this site has become slower is that like our bikes we are all getting older.

Also that as most of us are long termers we have modded our bikes and because they are so reliable we are just riding them.

I am just about to sign up to photobucket and I will start posting again.

I have done a few things since last active and will post in the appropriate sections.

The information in here is priceless and has helped me immensely.

Please contribute as often as possible to keep this place alive, to share in the joy of VTR ownership.

Wolverine 02-16-2019 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by kenmoore (Post 409278)
I am just about to sign up to photobucket

Save yourself the hassle! You can upload directly here now.
And another thing I have noticed, many of us have added to the stable and the VTR is no longer the mainstay.

Floyd 02-16-2019 02:21 PM

If you want a rise out of a motorcycle forum just ask what sort of oil is best! haha works every time.

NHSH 02-16-2019 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Floyd (Post 409281)
If you want a rise out of a motorcycle forum just ask what sort of oil is best! haha works every time.

Or tires :D

ACE VenTRa 02-17-2019 03:22 AM

Quiet or not, I lurk sites like this all the time, I join when the ratio of good info to useless argument is favorable. After that, I stay on until I forget my password. :)