SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   Bar wobble on deceleration (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/bar-wobble-deceleration-16889/)

01SuperChicken 12-01-2008 01:55 PM

Bar wobble on deceleration

Anyone else have this issue?

On other bikes, I would relax my hands a bit on deceleration, but on my Hawk it seems that the bars will wobble. Not to the point of tank slap, but I don't try this on the freeway....

sassage 12-01-2008 02:01 PM

simplest answer - low tire pressure can have this result

01SuperChicken 12-01-2008 02:09 PM

I set the tire pressure 2-3 lbs below recommended, so I don't think that could be it.

I'm going to be due for a new front soon....I'm hoping it will go away when I get one.

I was curious if there was anything inherent to the bike.

cameron 12-01-2008 02:49 PM

i have not experianced this on my hawk. since i just got it i have been dropping the bars at all places of the speedometer,just to see if i can detect any wobbles.

cliby 12-01-2008 04:54 PM

check steering head bearings also - if you or PO wheelie much they could be loose or knockered - easy to check and a common wear item on bikes.

sumthin_major 12-01-2008 05:00 PM

Front tire may be out of balance. You did say that you were due for a new one. I can let go fo the bars at any speed and dont have any wobble at all.

trackdayhawk 12-01-2008 07:18 PM

1. Cupped tires will do this, replace tires. see #2
2. Loosen the axle clamp bolts, compress the forks a couple of times, re-tighten axle clamp bolts. SOP when removing axle/wheel for any reason, but not always done.
3. Check steering head bearings for looseness.
4. Check rear wheel alignment.

AZZKIKER 12-01-2008 07:46 PM

You need a new front tire as it sounds like it is cupped.

doggerman 12-03-2008 09:18 AM

I was curious if there was anything inherent to the bike.
I would say no.The only wobbles I ever get,happen when the front end comes off the road over a rise and I don't set it down quite right.3 small wobbles and its over.IMO I think these things are stupid stable.

1. Cupped tires will do this, replace tires. see #2
2. Loosen the axle clamp bolts, compress the forks a couple of times, re-tighten axle clamp bolts. SOP when removing axle/wheel for any reason, but not always done.
3. Check steering head bearings for looseness.
4. Check rear wheel alignment.
5.Wheel bearings(high mileage)

Wheel bearings are the last link in the chain.A cupped tire is a visable thing.Im sure the guys at the shop would step out to look at it if need be.You can also jack the front end off the ground and turn the bars to check the headbearings,should be smooth no notchs.If you just buy a new tire(sweet fresh rubber)And have the shop do all the work,Tell them and they can check all that stuff.

DrPepper 12-03-2008 09:35 AM

check front tire sounds like you need a new one feel it see if its smooth or feels like the rockys

skokievtr 12-03-2008 09:54 AM

I've lost count of how many tires I've gome thru in 50k+ miles. I have experienced front end wobble when decelerating in the 35~45 mph range.

Now your wobble it could be any one or more of the above causes but rear tire wear (along with misalignedment of the rear wheel with the front wheel as mentioned) can cause a decel front end wobble. When the rear tire is "squared off" in conjunction with front tire wear (cupping in front or the tire actually wearing out-of-round), it can cause this problem.

I currently have a deceleration wobble when I completely let go of the bars in the 35~45 mph range, and will try to remember to report back if it disappears when I replace my squared-off rear tire before next season. My front tire is about half gone, and it is hard to tell if it is cupped or worn out-of-round at this point. Now with 50k+ miles, my stearing head bearings may be due for replacement. I intend to send my forks to Greg over the winter for him to work his magic over the mods I've already made (RT .90 spings, preload spacers and oil vicosity/volume tuning). So when the forks are off I'll check the head and wheel bearings and replace if required.