SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   Anyone fix fattys? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/anyone-fix-fattys-11524/)

nineighthawk 05-21-2007 07:33 PM

Anyone fix fattys?

2 Attachment(s)
I went riding this weekend in the dirt. My poor Fatty pipe met the only boulder that was in the area when I dumped her.

The pipe took the whole impact.

Anyone know of a good shop or good tricks to fix this mess..

Check it.

Randman 05-21-2007 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by nineighthawk (Post 53986)
Anyone fix Fatty's?

I have rolled a few in my time, but never fixed them:shock: ...

Sorry to hear it...Good luck with that...

captainchaos 05-21-2007 08:18 PM

check out www.piperepair.com

captainchaos 05-21-2007 08:24 PM

Probably can pull most of the dent out at home with one of those auto body spot welders. I'm taking a short welding class and I've seen them use them in the body shop next door. Really cool-welds a small pin in place which gets held by a slap hammer. Wanted to try one on a couple dented old spare midpipes I have to see if it'll work on them. Probably would work like a champ with the pipe still mounted on your bike.

nineighthawk 05-21-2007 09:32 PM

That might be the ticket Capn.

$50 is not that bad a price..

I would love to try to fix it myself tho. I just might attempt filling it with pressure and heating the dent till it pops out.

captainchaos 05-22-2007 03:54 AM

Yeah I think for the time you'd have in it you can't beat $50. But I'm the same way I'd rather spend a week working on it and doing it myself lol.

motojoe 05-27-2007 08:49 AM

Make a plug for each end to hold pressure. Make one fitting to put compressed air in the pipe. Heat the pipe with a torch until the dent is popped out. Whalla!

BiggDaddyKool 05-29-2007 02:18 PM

make a plug for each end as the guy above said but then fill it with water and put it in the freezer and keep an eye on it and before you know it viola your dent will be gone. Keep an eye on it though dont leave it in way too long. Ive done this with tanks so I know it works just fine.

Hawkrider 05-29-2007 10:06 PM

FWIW, you get about a 10% increase in volume when water freezes. If there's any way to keep the dented part warmer so it freezes last that'd be the key. Good advice though! Cudos.

nineighthawk 05-29-2007 10:23 PM

Ok.. I did the ole heat with a tortch and blow air into it.

Most of it came out and I'm pretty sure it will perform fine on the trail. It is ugly, but I am not about looks in the woods.

nineighthawk 05-29-2007 10:39 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Some pics.. I know it is ugly. Don't worry, it will get smashed again.

That's just how I roll.

BiggDaddyKool 05-29-2007 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by nineighthawk (Post 54896)
Some pics.. I know it is ugly. Don't worry, it will get smashed again.

That's just how I roll.

hope that didnt weaken the metal to badly.

Arctic Fire 05-30-2007 04:24 PM

Hey 98- I'm not a real big dirtbiker, is that thing aluminum? If it's steel you may want to do something to prevent the spot from rusitn out on you. i am not sure what, but it looks like a rust magnet area