SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   Any Hawkers in South Carolina ? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/any-hawkers-south-carolina-33383/)

Yakkis 07-23-2015 12:14 PM

Any Hawkers in South Carolina ?

Been riding sportbikes for the past ten years. My cbr 900rr recently passed away due to negligent input on the brakes.

I've always whined about not having any torque ( at cruising rpms ) so it's time to "upgrade". The 900 was ok in the torque department but I want something with more low grunt so I'm getting a super hawk.

Is there anybody in upstate SC that could help me get my suspension right? It would be nice to meet up with another member to make sure the job is done right when I do the fork swap..........and shock swap.........and brace the swingarm. I already know I'm going to love the engine characteristics but I am going to be dragging a knee on this thing and I just want to get the suspension upgraded to the best it can be........for my budget. ;) Anybody available ? Oh, time is money, yes. I can contribute, just not dealer rates.

AndyMX47 07-24-2015 06:44 AM

I live in Charlotte and could help you out. What are you looking for - help setting the sag, or help installing the suspension components?

Yakkis 07-24-2015 08:17 AM

I could really use help installing components. I could set it up. I've monkey'd with my set up on the 900 for a few years and it felt really good but hey, if you know what you're doing I'm all ears. I'd be grateful for any input on set up as there aren't many rules to it and I can always learn something new.

I'm currently looking for one to purchase. It'd be nice to find one that's already got 929/"performance" forks on it or a shock. I don't expect to, but it would be nice.

Thanks for the response brother !

thedeatons 07-24-2015 11:17 AM

Charlotte craigslist has 3 good options, 2 of which are priced well.

James

Old Yeller 07-24-2015 11:39 AM

the one in huntersville looks like a really good buy from the pics. has the lower already installed too.

Yakkis 07-25-2015 07:16 AM

:thumbsup: Thanks James and yeller, I'm all about some craigslist. Been looking at the 2001 yellow one.

So are there any frame updates between the late '90's models and the 2000 and up models ?.. No, as I've gone to wiki and found out.

I would like to put a larger capacity fuel tank on it though, what fits well ? Or is that another thread ?

scottiemann 07-25-2015 08:07 PM

Welcome to the forum!

The frame is the same all years.

I believe the later models have a slightly larger tank but for any significant volume gains the VFR tank mounts up nice with just a few modifications, fits the body lines of the superhawk better than its own tank and yes there are numerous threads on it.

Yakkis 07-25-2015 08:15 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome and the response scottiemann !

Wolverine 07-30-2015 07:13 AM

Welcome to the group. You're-o-peein' guys got the larger tank. You'll probably never see one for sale either. VFR is the goto or an aftermarket. A few guys here have added some capacity by welding in a strip around the center.

Keep us posted on what ya get. Have you already had seat time on one?

Yakkis 07-30-2015 12:29 PM

Glad to be here, thanks for the warm welcome.

I rode one about......jeez, 15 years ago. Shamefully, I'll admit it was a total squid experience. Saw a friend at a gas station, he said I could ride it, pulled out and ran it up to 120mph, kept it there for a mile while passing cars, turned around and did the same thing on the way back. I do remember that I didn't expect to be going that fast when I looked at the speedo.

That was before I ever owned a bike. I must say after ten years of riding experience now, that it was a little dangerous but mainly it was extremely inconsiderate to the other people on the road. I know the benefits of having a pace now and try to stick to it.

I tend to get a little anxious ( or panic a little ) when the high rpm power band hits on sport bikes because such a difference in power and it finally dawned on me that sport bikes suck for street riding. Took me long enough huh ?

My only regret will be having probably $2500 in suspension upgrades on a bike that'll be worth $2500 total. I'm monetarily challenged so I may have to grin and bear it on the stock suspension indefinitely while saving some extra cash. Hopefully it will stay rubber side down as I want this to be something I'll keep. It's the ol' catch 22 for me, if I'm not pushing a little bit on occasion, I won't enjoy it and then what's the point ? But when you push, the probability of "smash-bang-crash" goes up. So I just ride my ride and hope for the best.......unless it's a group ride. I would never crash somebody else and I avoid people that might crash me.