SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   Another New England Rider (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/another-new-england-rider-17323/)

NAVY8TR 01-25-2009 07:39 AM

Another New England Rider

2 Attachment(s)
Just want to introduce myself. I'm an official squid. Bought my hawk used last June. She's a 98 with 22k now. Put 4k on her last summer. Has a stage one jet kit, a pair of two bro's slip-ons, and a PITA alarm that draws hard on the system. The hawk's fast enough for me as it is now, its my second bike, my first was a 91 katana that I restored, learned to ride, and sold 3k miles later. She has a few cosmetic customizations as of now, and I'm going to continue with those until I feel like the bike needs some more pep. It has a home-made undertail, re-mounted rear blinkers under the seat, checkered flag honda wing emblem, tinted windshield, !!deer warning horns!!(in the front cowls), and T-Rex sliders (not shown).

mods on the way:
Pyramid hugger
Braided clutch and brake lines
R1 R/R
Michelin pilot road tires
Projection headlight

Thanks for all the great ideas. you guys f-ing rock.

RickB 01-25-2009 02:40 PM

Welcome to the site!

finepooch 01-25-2009 02:49 PM

welcome!
can't wait for spring

VTRsurfer 01-25-2009 06:52 PM

:welcome: Nice looking ride.

Do those deer horns really work? I came no more than 8 feet from hitting a buck that crossed my path at 50mph in the mountains east of San Diego 1 1/2 years ago.

NAVY8TR 01-25-2009 07:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer (Post 197457)
:welcome: Nice looking ride.

Do those deer horns really work? I came no more than 8 feet from hitting a buck that crossed my path at 50mph in the mountains east of San Diego 1 1/2 years ago.

They do work but not 100%of the time. I feel its better to have them even if they only work 75% of the time...the pics show the damage one did to my car (the reaosn why I got them). And a nice little parting gift he left me on the side of my front quarter panel...

So there is a back story for the horns, june 08 I was coming home from work, the night shift at the butcher shop, it was 3am and I was cruising through a 40 mph zone at 50/55mph in my camry and a deer ran out from the woods to cross the road, it hit me from the side, the only part of his body that got infront of me was his head and shoulders, his ribs crushed my parking light and quarter panel. he didn't survive. If I had been on the bike I would have def been in the hospital. Before I hit the deer, I thought I was too much of an aware driver to need anything like the horns. I quickly changed my point of view after it happened. I didn't even have time to hit the brakes. So, I decided that I would do anything to avoid hitting another one, especially when I'm on the bike.

Since then I've put a pair of horns on the car and the bike. Luckily I haven't seen a deer while riding the hawk but I have seen a few while driving. The number I've seen has decreased for sure but when I do see them it is usually thier ass end running away from me. Supposedly the horns emit some high frequency whistle that scares them away...

VTRsurfer 01-25-2009 07:53 PM

Thanks for the info. In my encounter he bounded down a small slope, stopped for an instant, then shot across my path doing 0 to 40 in about 0.5 seconds. I had an instant to react and chose to keep constant throttle, luckily it worked out for both of us. Like I said, I was doing about 50.

smokinjoe73 01-25-2009 08:18 PM

Hey man, welcome. You didnt mention the pipes as a mod; two brothers? Also; I live in NYC but took 2nd in the production twins expert class championship at Loudon. I missed first by ONE point! Got third in the championship the previous year. Anyway- NH is such a beautiful place; cant wait for the season to start again. A race buddy of mine hit a moose up there- it wound up IN his front seat stiill (barely) alive! Like a hooved conspiracy up there!

FTMS 01-26-2009 03:54 AM

Welcome to the site.

BlackHawk996 01-26-2009 04:36 AM

scratch another one up for the second annual ride to ftms shop haha.

finepooch 01-26-2009 06:43 AM

deer horns? i think i know what you guys are talking about but: 1. i can't see any on that bike, and 2. how did this thread go to that topic?

hahaha, sorry for being slow!

finepooch 01-26-2009 06:45 AM

sorry, just read the original post again. i see the deer horn bit now.

again, sorry for being slow!

btw, i agree with smokinjoe. nh is a beautiful place. love it there.