SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   After all the years, the SH still draws 'em... (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/after-all-years-sh-still-draws-em-16704/)

radbikers 11-06-2008 03:24 PM

After all the years, the SH still draws 'em...

So I rode over with my wife to her all-girls sport bike club ride meeting point last Saturday, and hung around for a few minutes. About 10-12 of the girls showed up, riding their CBRs (wife has an 07 600RR), R1s, Hayabusas, etc. A couple of their SOs were there as well, on their bikes. I kissed my bride good-bye, wished her a safe ride, jumped on the SH (with its TBR high mounts, etc...) and took off. After she got home later in the day, she told me that when I left the parking lot, one of the SOs, who was riding a fairly new 1000RR, watched the SH leave, turned around and said "God, I love that bike...".

:D:D:D

Sablotny 11-06-2008 03:34 PM

I hear ya. The bike never sold well, but I keep getting kudos on mine. Two mechanics I've had work on the bike told me how much they love the thing. Other riders rave about trying one out and loving the torque. Parked next to two new bikes at the office (a cruiser and a Triumph Street Triple) my Hawk still draws attention.

AZZKIKER 11-06-2008 04:42 PM

I miss the sound.

Scoutpilot 11-06-2008 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by radbikers (Post 187868)
So I rode over with my wife to her all-girls sport bike club ride meeting point last Saturday, and hung around for a few minutes. About 10-12 of the girls showed up, riding their CBRs (wife has an 07 600RR), R1s, Hayabusas, etc. A couple of their SOs were there as well, on their bikes. I kissed my bride good-bye, wished her a safe ride, jumped on the SH (with its TBR high mounts, etc...) and took off. After she got home later in the day, she told me that when I left the parking lot, one of the SOs, who was riding a fairly new 1000RR, watched the SH leave, turned around and said "God, I love that bike...".

:D:D:D

Was she hot? The SO... :evil:

radbikers 11-06-2008 07:41 PM

oh no....In this club, the SOs are the guys! Its an all-GIRLS sport bike club. You haven't seen anything until you've seen about 20 gals on their sport bikes go flying down the road. Its pretty funny when they dust off a bunch of Harleys or even other sport bikers...and some of these girls can ride, too. Every now and then they invite the SOs to ride along, and although some of us can stay out in front of the fast girls, we have to be riding pretty hard to do it. Some of these girls have a little bit of track time behind them, and it shows...

radbikers 11-06-2008 07:46 PM

Oh, and about 3 weeks ago we were up on the Dragon, hanging out at the store after making a couple of runs. A guy came down from the parking lot and complimented me on the SH and its sound as I had come down Wheelie Hill...

i love my superhawk...:D:D:D

RCVTR 11-06-2008 10:49 PM

Yeah, they have character that sets them apart. Already a classic.

inderocker 11-06-2008 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by RCVTR (Post 187908)
... Already a classic.

INDEED! And I know I'm not the only one who thinks so! Long live the king! :cool:

HisHawkiness 11-07-2008 12:47 AM

With me its either a love it or hate it thing when i talk to people about the SH

Either they tell me they've ridden one or a freind had one and they loved it and it felt really fast to them. OR.....they don't consider it a sportbike because it doesnt "sound like a sportbike....." or think its a "sport touring" bike.......

LineArrayNut 11-07-2008 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by radbikers (Post 187895)
Oh, and about 3 weeks ago we were up on the Dragon

can you please comment on the road condition and enforcement presence?

LineArrayNut 11-07-2008 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by HisHawkiness (Post 187917)
With me its either a love it or hate it thing when i talk to people about the SH

Either they tell me they've ridden one or a freind had one and they loved it and it felt really fast to them. OR.....they don't consider it a sportbike because it doesnt "sound like a sportbike....." or think its a "sport touring" bike.......

that's what I told my insurance agent when he asked me what kind of a bike it was...:cool:

HisHawkiness 11-07-2008 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by LineArrayNut (Post 187925)
that's what I told my insurance agent when he asked me what kind of a bike it was...:cool:

Yeah that works....

I just hate it when people say "yeah the VTR is nice BUT im more into "sportbikes".....WTF

RCVTR 11-07-2008 01:26 PM

That's what my friend Kevin thought, until he followed me on his 999R in the tight twisties on HWY 49 south of Sonora for an hour or so. When we stopped, he said something like "Jesus Christ, how much horsepower does that thing have?!"

We had some good rides after that.

bowhawk 11-07-2008 01:43 PM

+1 I love it when they look down their nose at it because I know when we get into the twisties they'll be looking up the road to try to see it. Linear power/torque, never lets me down.

AZZKIKER 11-07-2008 02:07 PM

Ok, who wants to trade for an R1?

Springbubba 11-07-2008 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by AZZKIKER (Post 187993)
Ok, who wants to trade for an R1?

Ha! Keep your R1, and get another SH for $3000.

RCVTR 11-07-2008 03:48 PM

Not me. You had your chance! Hehe.

Since I'm going track only, I went for Honda's race twin.

Sure would like to ride the roads again, but that would be asking too much.

swordfish 11-07-2008 04:24 PM

yeah I hate that "sport tourer" crap. if its a sport tourer, the its the worst sport tourer ever made. bad mileage, not comfy(stock) passengers don't like it. (at least the few I've had) and mediocre suspension. but you'd think that other sportbike riders would be compelled to call it a sport bike instead of a sport tourer, because which would you rather get beat by? a sport bike or a sport tourer? cause the "getting beat" part is not up for discussion. so pick... dicks

radbikers 11-07-2008 04:41 PM

Yeh. My 30 year old (I'm 51) nephew rode with us a few weeks ago, for the first time. He was on his gixxer 1000 and thought he was hot stuff. So I led him down the backroads and at the exit point from the first good 15 mph curve (or so its marked), I dropped the hammer on the SH. Oh, he eventually caught me, about a mile down the road...but by that time we were at the next curve, and then...(repeat as necessary! :cool:)

When we came to our usual rest stop store, his first words were "Jesus Christ!..."

Love that SuperChicken!...

radbikers 11-07-2008 04:47 PM

Sorry, didn't see the request on the current Dragon status. As of last week, the roads were getting covered with falling leaves. LE presence has dropped off quite a bit from the summer months. The best source for current info is dealsgap.com. The store keeps the website pretty up to date on road and weather conditions on the Dragon. Killboy.com and tailofthedragon.com are pretty good as well for Dragon info.

nuhawk 11-07-2008 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by swordfish (Post 188010)
yeah I hate that "sport tourer" crap. if its a sport tourer, the its the worst sport tourer ever made.

Yup! After getting the headers coated and the mid-pipes coated, I put the passenger pegs spacers in place to accomodate the high mounts. It made the back of the bike look "cow wide" so I took them off. Mine is an extensively modded 98. It's too fast and too twitchy to be a two-up machine.

If I need a two-up ride I'll take the VFR.

nuhawk 11-07-2008 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by radbikers (Post 188012)
"Jesus Christ!..."

Love that SuperChicken!...

My son and I have been on two wheels for three years and on four-wheelers since he was 18 months old. When the transition from CBR kiddie stuff was upon him he chose the Superhawk for its big power, saved my ass again. No more of the CBR bullshit. When it's time to go - you need to have a machine that knows how to go. Any half-ass Superhawk knows when that is. It takes a rider to stay with it.

Any rider that can take that to the next level truly appreciates what the bike is all about. Nimble, powerful, absolutely on in the front. Digging the corners, powering out to the straights, engine braking down to the next one - the Superhawk does it better than most.

The Gixxers are making three gear changes to the Superhawk one.

VTRsurfer 11-08-2008 12:55 PM

My wife and I ran into a guy on a Suzuki TL1000R with Yosh cans today at the Candy Store on Ortega Highway. We talked to him for about 20 minutes. When we went to leave and I fired up my '05 (with stock exhaust seasoned by 23k miles) he came over to my bike and said what a nice sound it had.

thefauxnarchist 11-08-2008 01:18 PM

man u guys are making feel like a jerk for getting an RC :( haha well, im gonna be riding my hawk down from LA to OC today. that'll be a little bit of quality time together again haha