SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   15 MPH High Side (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/15-mph-high-side-16705/)

jbaxx 11-06-2008 04:53 PM

15 MPH High Side

I was making a right turn from a stop to enter a freeway on-ramp and the combination of cool temperature, brand new cold tires, painted crosswalk lines, and a grunty V-Twin resulted in a 15 mph high-side crash that damaged just about everything on the left side of my bike.

As I cracked the throttle, let out the clutch and turned (just like I always do), it felt as though I hit a patch of ice. The rear tire slid out in an instant and before I knew it I was rolling across the pavement thinking "what the hell"? :confused:

I've ridden lots of bikes and have had lots of new tires before, but this caught me completely off guard. I have never had a new tire slip so easily. (BTW they are the new Bridgestone BT-016 trick-ass triple compound jobs FWIW).

Fortunately there were no cars behind me to run me over, and one of those "Homeless and Hungry" dudes even ran over and helped me pick my bike up... maybe I should have given Him a dollar... :D

I came out ok, with only a sore shoulder as a result of being tossed onto the pavement, but thats about it for me. The bike on the other hand got pretty jacked for such a low speed crash, but high-sides will tend to do that. At least I was able to ride the bike home (with one foot peg) and still show up for work later on that day.

I'm going to need some expensive plastic, paint the tank, replace the exhaust, windscreen etc, but I'm hoping some of the members here might be able to help out with some of the little stuff at a reasonable price.

Please let me know if you have some of these parts laying around:

LEFT SIDE
Mirror- found, thank you!!

-Clutch lever - found.

-Bar end and weights - found some in my own garage! haha

-foot peg - found.

Thanks for reading, and be safe out there!

Joe Kano 11-06-2008 05:02 PM

Did you have frame sliders installed on your bike?

Little_Horse 11-06-2008 06:08 PM

them painted crosswalks are a sonofabitch glad to hear you are ok though, bikes can be fixed quickly.

epleeds 11-06-2008 07:17 PM

I have a left side mirror. some minor scuffs on it, but its has a carbon overlay. $30 shipped if your interested... and if you want both sides...make it $50 shipped...

eric

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/c...s/IMG_3201.jpg
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/c...s/IMG_3202.jpg
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/c...s/IMG_3204.jpg
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/c...s/IMG_3205.jpg

radbikers 11-06-2008 07:49 PM

Sorry, no parts right now, or I'd donate to the cause! Glad you're ok, though. Were you ATGATT?

jbaxx 11-06-2008 08:19 PM

Thanks for the responses so far.

No sliders on the bike but I doubt they would have helped much. My clutch lever is ground down on the TOP (!) if that gives an indication of the angle of impact!

Epleeds, thanks for the mirror offer, I'm gonna try to find a stocker with no damage.

Rad - all the gear except for jeans, but they weren't damaged at all. Got a scrape about the size of a nickle on my knee, didn't even bleed. Was gonna wear my Cortech riding pants but didn't. Good thing it was a slow crash.

inderocker 11-06-2008 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by jbaxx (Post 187898)
Epleeds, thanks for the mirror offer, I'm gonna try to find a stocker with no damage.

<rant>
For $30 I'd hope you would! Whats with so many people trying to get waaay too much for damaged parts? :confused: Are you in the business? I don't mean to rag on anyone, but when I happen to have a spare part that someone on the forum needs I do my best to practically give it away just to help another member out (especially a reputable member!) and I am in the business!
</rant>

Sorry to hear about the highside, looks like you got off somewhat easy. Hope she's on the road again soon!

HisHawkiness 11-07-2008 12:43 AM

I almost did the same thing on my GSXR-750 one night, cold night, cold tires leaving a gas station and I gave it a little too much as i let the clutch out. Bike went way sideways and snapped back, wobbled a bit and recovered......scared the crap out of me.

Sounds like you'll be ok, any pics of the carnage?

LineArrayNut 11-07-2008 04:29 AM

heh! the county ass wipes decided to do ditch maintenance on my favorite back roads to my current moonlighting work place... they scraped the road, but did not brush it off... i dirt tracked at about 50 mph thinking to myself "this is gonna hurt!" as i slid towards the culvert at a driveway... finally got it straight and not crossed up with about 4 inches to spare and powered on... had to stop on the side of the road and get my shit back together, it was that close...

let's be careful out there...

sorry you racked yours up, I've sold all my extras for a good price though already...

jbaxx 11-07-2008 09:59 AM

A guy I work with was wanting to buy my 'Hawk so I wasn't riding it for a few weeks (so nothing bad could happen to it). The more I thought it over, I realized that this was a bike that I was not willing to part with so I went ahead and put some new rubber on it and was just gonna ride around town for a few days to scrub the tires in before I hit Palomar this weekend.

I don't think He wants it anymore - haha! :eek:

Truckinduc 11-07-2008 10:09 AM

Ive had the same thing happen. Lucky for me i kept the throttle open slightly and kept the tire from hooking up and tossing me. Ive had the front fire slide too, now thats scary. I was only doing 30-35 when i went down, but it destroyed my knee.

jbaxx 11-08-2008 09:15 AM

Thinkin' these tire are gonna get the sandpaper treatment before I go out on 'em again.

HisHawkiness 11-08-2008 09:54 AM

I doubt it had much to do with the tire itself, in fact i read an article in one of the magazines recently about how tires are usualy ready to go right away with nothing special done with them to get rid of release compound or anything like that as was required with tires a long time ago.

VTRsurfer 11-08-2008 12:13 PM

What freeway on ramp in Anaheim?
Depending on how early in the AM it was, there could still be dew on the paint. It doesn't take much moisture on highway paint to make it slippery as hell

jbaxx 11-09-2008 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by HisHawkiness (Post 188064)
I doubt it had much to do with the tire itself, in fact i read an article in one of the magazines recently about how tires are usualy ready to go right away with nothing special done with them to get rid of release compound or anything like that as was required with tires a long time ago.

As I said in the original post it was a combination of things that led to the slide, but I can assure you if the tire was scrubbed in it never would have happened. I've taken that corner hundreds of times the same way over the years and have never had any trouble before.

On the other hand, I've never had issues with a new tire before either but, especially now that the weather is cooling down, I recommend taking it easy at first. My $127 tire is going to cost me about $1500 bucks. Don't be like me.

g_clarke_2008 11-09-2008 04:32 PM

I have a left side stock mirror and footpeg, the mirror has a little rash but nothing major and the footpeg rubber is a little wore out from use but you can have them for whatever the cost of shipping them from Canada is. PM me if you're interested.

Wicky 11-09-2008 04:39 PM

I know the plural of anecdote isn't data - but I'll throw this vid of a brand new Suzy with brand new tires into the mix...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-UEg1-6iEeo

Originally Posted by HisHawkiness (Post 188064)

joshuatest 11-09-2008 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by inderocker (Post 187911)
<rant>
For $30 I'd hope you would! Whats with so many people trying to get waaay too much for damaged parts? :confused: Are you in the business? I don't mean to rag on anyone, but when I happen to have a spare part that someone on the forum needs I do my best to practically give it away just to help another member out (especially a reputable member!) and I am in the business!
</rant>

Sorry to hear about the highside, looks like you got off somewhat easy. Hope she's on the road again soon!

I don't recall exactly what it was. But When I had my accident back in April, I needed a mirror (or was it a clip on?), and I'm pretty sure it was even you inderocker that sent it to me for cost of shipping, and about a week later, I sent off my still good right side stock blinker to another forum member for cost of shipping.

I bought my Sharkskinz lower on this forum, and the member gave me a price shipped that was very reasonable for a lower that he himself bought from this site i believe. I got my Micron's from another member who rounded down on shipping cost (and actually way down, he chose to send them 2day vs 7-10 days at his own extra cost to be nice), and I just purchased a scotts damper and when i asked about shipping, he said just $250 is fine.

Anyway. just read through this post a second time, and if your gonna go after big bucks for damaged goods, just list them on ebay with detailed description. People that post on here are a group of friends, and I sure couldn't see one of my friends trying to get $30 for a damaged mirror from me. $5-10 if you just don't wanna give them away, but come on......

ok, i'll let inderocker's rant go now..

rbrais 11-10-2008 08:27 AM

Been there. Not a new tire, but a cool damp night, turning right from a stop sign, and I had about 15 years experience in the dirt and MX track at that time. Can happen to the best of us.

I got lucky....left faring, mirror, signal, bar clip, clutch lever, front plastic cracked and scratched the pipe, but the tank was spared. Oh, and a broken collarbone. I was more concerned about the bike.

jbaxx 11-10-2008 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Wicky (Post 188157)
I know the plural of anecdote isn't data - but I'll throw this vid of a brand new Suzy with brand new tires into the mix...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-UEg1-6iEeo

Yeah, I've seen that before, pretty much what happened to me - haha!

Cleveland 11-10-2008 10:35 AM

Yeah. BTDT.. Cool night in a Hooters' parking lot. Low sided it.

So in retrospect, it couldve been worse. At least you didnt have an audience.

jbaxx 11-11-2008 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer (Post 188073)
What freeway on ramp in Anaheim?
Depending on how early in the AM it was, there could still be dew on the paint. It doesn't take much moisture on highway paint to make it slippery as hell

That would be the 5 southbound at Chapman just north of the "Orange Crush". The busted black plastic on the far side of the crosswalk is what's left of my mirror. :shock: Still there to remind me...

netav8tor 11-11-2008 09:15 AM

Motorcycle safety experts recommend that everyone remember that tires take a minimum of one mile of travel before they warm up. This measure is based on summer temperatures and dry conditions.