SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   12k mile service?? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/12k-mile-service-6975/)

faz 04-19-2005 03:00 PM

12k mile service??

hi all,
my bike just turned 12k miles old this past weekend.

At 8k miles, I changed the spark plugs and synched the carbs, changed rad fluid and did the oil (do that every 3k mile).

I have the manual, and will be reading through it to see the recommended maintenance. But from your experience, what is really a requirement? Any valve adjustments (if recommended by manual) is really required at this mileage??

I will be changing the air filter, and oil/filter, but that is the extend of what I was planning on doing. Anything else I should look at??

faz 04-21-2005 10:31 AM

Re: 12k mile service??

anyone??

NOrrTH 04-21-2005 10:59 AM

check/adjust chain? :P

I think you've covered it bud.

faz 04-21-2005 11:41 AM

After I typed the "anyone" comment above, I remembered that it is most likely the 16k mile service that is the recommended valve adjustment interval, and that is what I was questioning really.

For some reason, I was confusing 12k with 16k... may be due to my car running on the 12k service intervals.

Thanks, and cheers.

amathews98 04-27-2005 10:10 AM

I bought my bike with 15k on the clock, not a whole lot was done by the previous owner who took it only to the Honda Dealership. He said they would always tell him nothing else is needed and everything is in spec.

At 16 I changed ALL my fluids, flushed out the brakes, clutch, radiator, and engine. If I had the bike at 12k I would have done it then. I plan to do this every 10k miles. Fluids break down, when I was checking the front brake assembly at 16k I noticed one piston on the left caliper was not stuck but not as free as the others. At 12k you might want to pull the brakes apart and lube the pistons and roatate the pads around.

Im meticulous about maintence so I may do more than needed. But take care of what takes care of you. I run full syn. mc oil that gets changed (oil + filter) every 2k miles.

Ashby

faz 04-27-2005 10:35 AM

:D

Thanks for the heads up.

I already do all brake/clutch fulid changes every 6 monhts, and did the rad fluid already at 8k, along with spark plugs and carb synch. I change oil/filter every 3 months or 3k miles, whichever comes first, using OEM filter and full synth MX4T mobile1.

The more you maintain the bike, the better it performs for a longer time. My bike has 12k miles on it, and people who see it can't believe it is an 02.... everyone thinks it just came off of the showroom.

amathews98 04-27-2005 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by faz";p=&quot (Post 4863)
everyone thinks it just came off of the showroom.

I get that and mines a 98! :wink: Lets go riding sometime. I too run the Mobil mx4t.

Ashby

NOrrTH 04-27-2005 01:51 PM

faz wrote (View Post): › ‹ Select ›‹ Expand ›

everyone thinks it just came off of the showroom.

I get that and mines a 98! Lets go riding sometime. I too run the Mobil mx4t.

Ashby
Same here ha ha!