SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Forum Feedback (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/forum-feedback-39/)
-   -   "Use the search feature you stupid noob" (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/forum-feedback-39/use-search-feature-you-stupid-noob-31875/)

salmanilla2000 04-13-2014 11:35 AM

"Use the search feature you stupid noob"

I personally don’t appreciate this attitude of "search and you will find the answer you useless noob". I've been a member of this site for years and I didn't post questions for months because I didn't want to get below reaction. Especially when you just bought a VTR and you're excited to do some very cool modification or just learn more about the bike.

I personally don't understand this ostentatious attitude. How is asking a question and getting humiliated for it helpful to this site? I thought this site was the collaboration of our common interest. I thought this site was open to all and not just Superhawk owners. Wasn't this the reason for the creation of this site? I seriously doubt the founding owners of this forum said "Let's lure them in with the interest of this Honda motorcycle, and when they ask a question...WHAM!!!. Hit'm with embarrassment and mortification”.

I understand if the members have been on this site since before the VTR was invented, so they’ve read/answered every question known to about the VTR, Firestom, etc. However, I ask those members, what’s your deal? Do you have money invested on this site? Do you personally lose money every time someone asks an answered question? Why does it aggravate you to the point that you have to belittle people online? If you’ve got no money vested on this site, you still get annoyed at repeated questions, then I say “take a chill pill dude, Armageddon hasn’t happen yet, and go for a ride”. There is no need for this hatred. This childish behavior is old, was never cool, and sad. Every forum on this site (and apparently in the Classifieds) has someone yelling “Go Fuck Yourself for that Stupid Question!” Educating folks in a healthy manner is a good thing. Your knowledge is helping someone who shares a common interest as you, and that person asking a question is relieved and thankful for the useful answer. It’s a good feeling and no one is shamed, chastened or gun-shy to ever ask another question on this website.

My humble request is end this attitude. This arrogance helps no one. Get of your knowledge throne and humble yourself. No one knows who you are, you’re not famous and no one insulted you (by asking a and innocent question) to being with.

rz_racer_69 04-13-2014 11:41 AM

Dude, naw. Bogus request. Shaming noobs is the only fun some folks have in life. Pity them, don't ask them to change. It will do you no good to point out to a rude person, that they are being rude. They can't see it, don't understand it, and will dislike you even more for asking.

Go ahead and post your questions. Amidst any negative replies, there is usually some good information, and probably some links to the previous conversations.

Btw, welcome to the forum! :)

jscobey 04-13-2014 12:00 PM

I sort of get the attitude but also disagree with it. The thing is the information for every mod you can ever think of is on either this site or the UK board. With enough time to sift through threads anything you wanna know Is there. Due to the nature of forums and a lot of banter in each thread, it makes the info your looking for hard to find. Sometimes the info you need is spread out over a few threads. So yes I get the "search" attitude because the info exists. But I also get that situations can be unique and sometimes it plays out better if you lay out your issue and let everyone chime in on what steps you should take with the mod or what have you.

Like has been said there is always quite a few helpful replies when I post even if they just link me to a thread that has what I'm looking for. I'd say it's split 60-40. 60% of the time I find what I need searching here or the UK board. 40% of the time I just post my question. One thing is for sure tho, I always find the answer one way or another.

salmanilla2000 04-13-2014 12:10 PM

Reminds me of work. I work with very grumpy old men as co-workers, but they're good people. You just need thick skin to crack their cranky, raggedy attitude.

So the gauntlet of "Use the search noob, fry in hell, what a stupid question, this was covered years ago idiot, using the search would have told you that" is not going die out or should there just be endless online bickering by keyboard gladiators?

captainchaos 04-13-2014 12:59 PM

Judging by the timing, I'm curious if this was in response to my answer on your for sale post for the footpegs? Because if it was I was NOT at all rude and explained WHY I told him to search. Why sit around waiting for answers when they're already provided numerous times if you take a second and look for them? You get all the info you need NOW instead of waiting around for it. Besides I THEN went on the FULLY ANSWER this question in the same post AND provided a picture. None of which you did with a rather vague "blah, blah, blah" answer. Sorry I'll be happy to delete it I was trying to help answer his question and help you sell your pegs.

salmanilla2000 04-13-2014 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by captainchaos (Post 371252)
I'm curious if this was in response to my answer on your for sale post for the footpegs? Because if it was I was NOT at all rude and explained WHY I told him to search. Why sit around waiting for answers when they're already provided numerous times if you take a second and look for them? You get all the info you need NOW instead of waiting around for it. Besides I THEN went on the FULLY ANSWER this question in the same post AND provided a picture. None of which you did with a rather vague "blah, blah, blah" answer. Sorry I'll be happy to delete it I was trying to help answer his question.

CC this is not about you. It's a feeling I've had since day 1 (July,2008) on this site. Keyboard bullies and their lack of hugs as a child.

captainchaos 04-13-2014 02:18 PM

Ok then when? I don't often see folks on here getting "whammed" with "embarrassment and mortification" very often. As the internet goes I think our forum is one of the more patient & generous (I've "loaned out" expensive parts by offering and buying them back for full price 6 months or a year later after being used just to help out folks out I've never met before) places on the internet but it IS a forum and within the rules people are free to post what they like or feel. I think folks lose patience when it's obvious someone is being lazy and makes no attempt to try to help themselves at all. Plus it waters down the forum and makes finding the info you need harder to find when people post up the same questions over and over rather than keep the info and answers in one or two places.

Found this interesting. Check out #2 (the very first thing after "read the forum rules"), then look and see what's the very last thing on the list...

25 Forum Posting Etiquette Tips - TopTenREVIEWS

So I don't see what's wrong with telling someone to search the forum for an answer when it's known the info is already there. Of course you're right there's no need to be a dick about it, but otherwise I think it's useful advise and will actually make the forum much more useful to new folks than if they just learn to post up a question EVERY time they have one. It's like when I was in school and some idiot would keep asking questions, interrupting the lecture, and wasting everyone's time when it was SO obvious had he/she simply done the homework that was assigned the night before they'd already know the answer. Sorry I do lose my patience in situations like that.

salmanilla2000 04-13-2014 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by captainchaos (Post 371259)
Ok then when? I don't often see folks on here getting "whammed" with "embarrassment and mortification" very often. As the internet goes I think our forum is one of the more patient & generous (I've "loaned out" expensive parts by offering and buying them back for full price 6 months or a year later after being used just to help out folks out I've never met before) places on the internet but it IS a forum and within the rules people are free to post what they like or feel. I think folks lose patience when it's obvious someone is being lazy and makes no attempt to try to help themselves at all. Plus it waters down the forum and makes finding the info you need harder to find when people post up the same questions over and over rather than keep the info and answers in one or two places.

Found this interesting. Check out #2 (the very first thing after "read the forum rules"), then look and see what's the very last thing on the list...

25 Forum Posting Etiquette Tips - TopTenREVIEWS

So I don't see what's wrong with telling someone to search the forum for an answer when it's known the info is already there. Of course you're right there's no need to be a dick about it, but otherwise I think it's useful advise and will actually make the forum much more useful to new folks than if they just learn to post up a question EVERY time they have one. It's like when I was in school and some idiot would keep asking questions, interrupting the lecture, and wasting everyone's time when it was SO obvious had he/she simply done the homework that was assigned the night before they'd already know the answer. Sorry I do lose my patience in situations like that.

Captainchaos I didn't post this thread to address you personally. I didn't mention your name anywhere. I didn't point you out as an example, so let's not make this about YOU do, or don't do. Again this is not about you. I'm speaking about folks that have to go through the crap just to get question answered.

What if a person has already scavenged the internet including this site, and then post their question? Do I have to add a note before my question as a declaration of previous research having been performed? Is that any different?

"Watering down the forum"
As time goes on, any forum is going to be watered down, regardless.

Your link: 25 Forum Posting Etiquette Tips - TopTenREVIEWS, I wish everyone could be held accountable for their actions, but that's impossible.
I don't see anything wrong with telling someone to search the forums, it's the unnecessary baggage that comes with asking a question. Also, how can anyone tell if someone is being lazy and just outright asked their question? Who's to judge?

How's this for an original idea...I post a question and I don't catch hell for it... Period... Why the high school/fraternity locker room bullshit? Why the harassment antics? Just answer a question and leave it at that. Just keep it simple.

hondavtr1000sp2 04-13-2014 04:44 PM

I agree with you 100% salmanilla2000,

I know if I search long enough on the internet I can find what I am looking for, how ever a lot of the time you have to sift threw so much s**t to get what you are looking for, what's wrong with saying "any one know the answer to this ? " , then wait for a reply . This is a forum !

Dictionary definition of Forum - an assembly, meeting place, television program, etc., for the discussion of questions of public interest.

And if you don't want to answer some ones question, don't ! But don't wast your time and others with go search, the time you wasted with go search, why not just answer the question and help people out.

scottiemann 04-13-2014 07:05 PM

I used to answer peoples questions and then tell them to search in the nicest possible way because when i was a noob here i spent so much time searching and very rarely asking questions...

Now i am more then happy to answer questions, i take pride in how much i know about automotive and how much i have learned about the SH, i enjoy the interaction and it annoys me when people have a question that they are going to be harrassed for asking...

The big problem is that some of the people that have been here forever, at some point forget the fact that at one point they themselves were the ones asking questions. And another problem being that a lot of the people that have the answers cant understand that some of
these noobs have searched, have found the information , and just dont understand it... a lot of the time their just looking for it to be explained a different way for them to understand it...

Any noobs affraid of being flamed for trying to understand something, send me a pm, if i cant answer your question i can point you in the right direction...

E.Marquez 04-13-2014 07:26 PM

Most folks appreciate and can respect those that try and help themselves before asking for help, those willing to put forth a minimum of effort, and not just be takers.

Takers tend to get up set when others won't provide for them.
The Majority just want a persoons with a question to at least TRY and find an answer for them self.. if they want a check UPDATED info, if they can not figure out the search terms that will allow them to find it on their own, if they do not understand the post found in a search, or simply do not know what to search for .....by all means ask a question ..

What size is the rear bolt nut? I searched a few times and never did find a post that told me what the rear bolt wheel nut size is
Personally for me, that tells me the user tried to help themselves, but did not know what to look for. And allows for a helpful answer.

OP are you refreing to the rear wheel axle nut? if so the nut is a 27mm, the fixed hex feature on the other end is a 22mm

salmanilla2000 04-13-2014 08:59 PM

A simple example of this issue goes like this.

A child attends kindergarten. The student asks their teacher a question and the teacher kindly answers the question with a smile. The student learns that they can confidently ask their teacher questions.

In this case...

A child attends the 1st grade. The student asks their teacher a question and the teacher mocks the student for misunderstanding something that the student should have been learned from kindergarten, and calls the student a "noob". The other teachers bare witness to this and presume that it's perfectly appropriate to mock students that ask questions. So on and so forth.

If most institutions or places of learning anything were to adopt the respect of the teacher student relationship, like the first paragraph, I'm confident that I would have appreciated school, liked school, and pursued a course of higher learning, which I'll just assume wealth and happiness.

This part I'll leave to anyone cares by this point...

If most institutions or places of learning anything (trade school, reading a newspaper, asking for directions) did not adopt the respect of the teacher/student relationship, like the second paragraph......You fill in the blank. What do you think would be the student's life outcome?

matt365 04-17-2014 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by salmanilla2000 (Post 371288)
A simple example of this issue goes like this.

A child attends kindergarten. The student asks their teacher a question and the teacher kindly answers the question with a smile. The student learns that they can confidently ask their teacher questions.

In this case...

A child attends the 1st grade. The student asks their teacher a question and the teacher mocks the student for misunderstanding something that the student should have been learned from kindergarten, and calls the student a "noob". The other teachers bare witness to this and presume that it's perfectly appropriate to mock students that ask questions. So on and so forth.

If most institutions or places of learning anything were to adopt the respect of the teacher student relationship, like the first paragraph, I'm confident that I would have appreciated school, liked school, and pursued a course of higher learning, which I'll just assume wealth and happiness.

This part I'll leave to anyone cares by this point...

If most institutions or places of learning anything (trade school, reading a newspaper, asking for directions) did not adopt the respect of the teacher/student relationship, like the second paragraph......You fill in the blank. What do you think would be the student's life outcome?

This isn't the same issue. A teacher is paid to answer students questions, and to encourage learning and independent thought.

A message board such as this is made up of valuable information pertaining to a certain subject, by enthusiasts that share with the community and give their time for free. In the age of smartphones and the internet everything is accessible at the touch of a button.

If you want to know any fact about history, science, etc. all you have to do is go to a SEARCH engine and and type it.

Common questions where long standing members have given clear and concise information about common bike issues take time and effort to explain... if its been asked a dozen times before, a new member of the board should use the SEARCH function first, and then if they can't find the information they need, then by all means, they should state that they can't find it, that they did in-fact search, and then ask their question.

I see it as common courtesy.

Now, then again, someone jumping down someones neck and acting like an ass to a Noob isn't right either...

Best to just calmly direct them to the information they seek and call it good.

7moore7 04-17-2014 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by hondavtr1000sp2 (Post 371271)
Dictionary definition of Forum - an assembly, meeting place, television program, etc., for the discussion of questions of public interest.

I'm sure there's a definition of polite somewhere that mentions not walking into said public arena yelling questions at nearby mingling members. If a person makes even the slightest inclination at trying to understand or search for answers to problems, it makes it oooooh so much nicer to respond with helpful information. A person waddling around demanding information is more than likely not going to make more effort in the future so it is far less motivating to type out a paragraph of information. Unless it's an emergency and someone is panic posting from the side of the road with an angry officer questioning the validity of aftermarket CCT's.

What I am more curious about is all this animosity towards newbs that I'm hearing about in this thread? Either I'm mentally filtering them out or I'm reading posts that say "search is your friend" as a helpful hint that "this is a widely covered topic and the answers are out there" rather than "You worthless piece of squid meat! You should know better than to use words to communicate your asinine pointless thoughts! Get a life and go read Britanica and report back before we give you one more word"

hondavtr1000sp2 04-17-2014 05:24 PM

7moore7, I think this is a good example, see below Thread (you are in this Thread), I'm not talking about been rude or polite, my point is if you answer with "go search", that's the end of the discussion basically and you have not helped any one. The below Thread could have easily ended after 2 posts but some people decided to try and help, so this thread ended up with some good discussion and also informed some people that thought they new it all.

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...se-help-30853/

salmanilla2000 04-18-2014 09:30 AM

I've got a great exercise for this topic. It's more like "getting it out of your system", but also a vote at the end of the exercise for the best "use the Search you noob" retaliation.

From new guy:
"HEY DUDES MY PARENTS JUST BOUGHT ME A USED HONDA VTR. I THINK IT'S 2003 (WHO KNOWS). I WANTED A 2014 YAMAHA R1, BUT MY DAD THINKS THE VTR IS A GOOD BEGINNER BIKE FOR ME (16 years old). THIS IS MY FIRST DAY ON THIS FORUM, SO WHAT KIND OF EXHAUST ARE OUT THERE FOR MY BIKE?"

Give this 16 year spoiled brat the Superhawk "search" beatdown...

7moore7 04-18-2014 10:38 AM

Yep. I'm mentally filtering them out. Must be a coping mechanism of some kind.

bmidd 05-05-2014 04:35 AM

I agree with the attitude and some of the holier-than-thou attitude and expressed that before. Being 45 years old and having belonged to more forums than I can count, this site ranks right up there with the worst of the punks @ Honda-tech.com, it must be a Honda thing. Sometimes just the way you word a search can bring different results.

turbotim 05-15-2014 06:02 AM

Maybe I'll post a tire or oil thread just to give some of these people something to make themselves feel good about. Or how about, what's the little light for above the headlight? I agree 100%. Nothing worse than hoping to get some input and just getting smart ass comments. Sometimes we don't have 4 hrs. a day to search the forum for info. I'm referring to all forums in general. Like mentioned above with co-workers. You'll have an azzhole in every bunch. These people that are always miserable will wake up one day and realize they did nothing with their life but complain. I live every day like it is my last and I never get excited over anything. I thrive on those I work with who let me know what gets under their skin. If they want to be miserable, I can play the psychological warfare game to keep them happy.:D

FTL900 05-15-2014 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by hondavtr1000sp2 (Post 371504)
7moore7, I think this is a good example, see below Thread (you are in this Thread), I'm not talking about been rude or polite, my point is if you answer with "go search", that's the end of the discussion basically and you have not helped any one.

I agree with this... in addition, many searches don't like your search terms
"GPS - Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."
...or the opposite happens, and you get hundreds of threads where someone mentioned your search word.

There are great threads out there and many people have them bookmarked. It's almost as easy to share that info as it is to say "use the search". It's even easier to not post at all, if you don't have something to contribute.

Awhile back, I was having difficulty removing a sprocket-side cover on a Bandit 600. I just couldn't get it off. In desperation, I posted on a Suzuki forum, hoping someone else had the answer.

So some guy gives me the most sarcastic answer ever... "It's your lucky day!! Christmas just came early for you!! Here's the answer to all your questions... read the service manual!" (did not include a link to the manual, or any info out of it)

What he was missing was that I had already read the manual, and it said "remove the side cover". So he not only was no help whatsoever, but made me more frustrated as well. (I eventually got the cover off, there was one more bolt that was hidden)

I know people get tired of posting the same info over and over for n00bs, but if you're that burned out, maybe it's time to go outside do something else... other than clicking the reply button.

Like Thumper here, only instead of "If you can't say something nice..." think "If you don't have something to contribute...".

http://data1.whicdn.com/images/47421311/thumb.jpg

7moore7 05-15-2014 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by turbotim (Post 372796)
You'll have an azzhole in every bunch.

This bike can be considered to have a cult following... so ... why not act more like a cult? We have rules but we don't enforce them enough in my opinion. I think for every violation we need to have members do something personally degrading. Also, how come we don't have an induction ceremony and some sort of solidarity chant? Let's turn the one crazy azzhole into a whole forum full! There are plenty of nice helpful ones already as mentioned, so we should fully commit what we're good at!

thetophatflash 05-15-2014 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by 7moore7 (Post 372806)
This bike can be considered to have a cult following... so ... why not act more like a cult? We have rules but we don't enforce them enough in my opinion. I think for every violation we need to have members do something personally degrading. Also, how come we don't have an induction ceremony and some sort of solidarity chant? Let's turn the one crazy azzhole into a whole forum full! There are plenty of nice helpful ones already as mentioned, so we should fully commit what we're good at!

Is this retroactive?

7moore7 05-15-2014 10:35 AM

Of course. And we can cross reference members with other forums they're on and enforce extra punishment for violations of our rules on their forums.

VTR1000F 05-15-2014 11:30 AM

7moore7's really selling this. Can I be an azzhole even though I'm not from AZ? Come on, let me in. I've already got searching, oil and tire threads covered in my sig.

cybercarl 05-15-2014 02:12 PM

we can cross reference members with other forums they're on and enforce extra punishment for violations of our rules on their forums.
I like that LOL Over the pond if someone asks a ridiculously stupid question or something that has been covered to death, rather than telling someone to do a search, we'll either post a link to a relevant thread or respond with humour and turn the thread into a joke and some banter.

I disagree with the must be a Honda thing as was mentioned above. I think it's more to do with the type of community a forum attracts and then how members are treated. So it kind of spreads like a virus. This obviously differs from county to country as there are cultural differences that come into play too. Yeh forums have members all over the world but the majority of members are usually from the country where the forum resides.

By the way, does anyone ever do a google site search when searching for things. This is is much more user friendly way of searching forums.

Just insert you search query followed by site: before the forum URL

Let me google that for you

(:-})

TboneNast 05-15-2014 02:20 PM

This discussion is great and all, but what kind of oil is best?