SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Forum Feedback (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/forum-feedback-39/)
-   -   dies when it wants (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/forum-feedback-39/dies-when-wants-19427/)

yellerhawk 07-06-2009 09:11 PM

dies when it wants

Hi all.. Heres the problem, I have a 1999 hawk and it dies when it wants, turning a corner or just at idle. Seems like the ignition is turned off when it stalls, not like a fuel problem. I was thinking I would ask if anybody has a place to start or has had this problem ?

If I was a wise man, and that im not, it almost seems as if the safty for the kick stand is shorting out ?

Well any help would be great...Thanks in advance...

Circuit_Burner 07-06-2009 09:25 PM

You have hit a very good place to check.
If you have a multimeter, measure continuity across the terminals on the switch when operating the switch.
Its should be very straightforward.
If it checks funky, unplug the switch and simulate the stand-up condition.

yellerhawk 07-06-2009 09:49 PM

Thanks for that i will give it a check..

PUSHrod 07-07-2009 12:51 PM

Also in the free to fix list

Carb balance
Manifold boot vacuum leak
TPI setting/idle set

Hawkrider 07-07-2009 01:16 PM

Does it give a clunk/backfire through the carbs before it dies?

yellerhawk 07-08-2009 09:39 AM

nope no backfire. im thinking i found the problem ( well i hope) found a melted wire for the stand switch, fixed that and i will see how that goes...

thanks for all the input !!

jhiker229 07-14-2009 03:59 PM

mine occasionally dies when coming to a stop especially harder stops thinking it may be a carb issue

Jim

nath981 07-29-2009 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by jhiker229 (Post 226854)
mine occasionally dies when coming to a stop especially harder stops thinking it may be a carb issue

Jim

mine used to do this often, doesn't do it anymore. idle set at 1300-1400rpms, TPS set at 500ohms.

nath981 07-29-2009 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by yellerhawk (Post 225876)
nope no backfire. im thinking i found the problem ( well i hope) found a melted wire for the stand switch, fixed that and i will see how that goes...

thanks for all the input !!

what's the verdict yeller?

CentralCoaster 07-29-2009 06:04 PM

Mine used to on occasion, when sitting at a stop light idling. Also would if I coasted at high speed.

New R/R and TPS (for other reasons) and it hadn't done that again until today. Arggh.

Starts right up though. It does feel like someone just shut it off.

AdamK 10-20-2009 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster (Post 229001)
Mine used to on occasion, when sitting at a stop light idling. Also would if I coasted at high speed.

New R/R and TPS (for other reasons) and it hadn't done that again until today. Arggh.

Starts right up though. It does feel like someone just shut it off.

I'm havin a smilar problem CC, I was told that the carbs need to be sync'd for that.

CentralCoaster 10-20-2009 01:08 PM

One of these days I'll learn how to sync a carb. I have no idea right now, never had a vehicle before with more than one carb. I've seen that it requires some vacuum tubing to do...

Is it basically equalizing the engine vacuum on both carbs? I guess with the goal of balancing the a/f mixture to each cylinder?

AdamK 10-20-2009 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster (Post 239592)
One of these days I'll learn how to sync a carb. I have no idea right now, never had a vehicle before with more than one carb. I've seen that it requires some vacuum tubing to do...

Is it basically equalizing the engine vacuum on both carbs? I guess with the goal of balancing the a/f mixture to each cylinder?

Syncing the carbs, and adjusting the valves are the two things that I would really like to figure out.

8541Hawk 10-20-2009 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by jhiker229 (Post 226854)

Jim

On the '98s you need to check the bowl vent lines to see if the run through the side rails and cross in the middle between the carbs. If so reroute the lines so they no longer go through the side rails but instead point down outside of the rails. This was a Honda bulletin and the problem was fixed on later models.

AdamK 10-20-2009 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk (Post 239597)
On the '98s you need to check the bowl vent lines to see if the run through the side rails and cross in the middle between the carbs. If so reroute the lines so they no longer go through the side rails but instead point down outside of the rails. This was a Honda bulletin and the problem was fixed on later models.

*ASSUMPTION* "bowl vent lines" would be from the carbs which are located under the air box under the tank?

Just got my 98 about 3 weeks ago and have literally put gas in it, and changed the oil.

8541Hawk 10-20-2009 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by AdamK (Post 239598)
*ASSUMPTION* "bowl vent lines" would be from the carbs which are located under the air box under the tank?

Just got my 98 about 3 weeks ago and have literally put gas in it, and changed the oil.

Yes they are on the carbs. they are item #41 on this diagram
http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/...ARBURETOR_ASSY

CentralCoaster 10-20-2009 10:54 PM

Cool, I'll look into that.

AdamK, I just got done doing a valve adjustment on mine, it's not too bad. It's a little tight getting the front valve cover off, and you have to run around trying to trade shims, but it sure beats paying a shop.

What I did was measure all the valves and check all the shim numbers, then put them back in. Then I was able to calculate what replacement shims I'd need, and if I already had them on another valve, saved me from buying those. You can only pull one cam at a time though, so you have to do everything in a certain order.