SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Everything Else (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/everything-else-31/)
-   -   Touring, a list of essentials (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/everything-else-31/touring-list-essentials-34964/)

xeris 05-28-2018 06:24 AM

Touring, a list of essentials

Planning a long trip on the bike in August and have been working on a list of essentials to pack. Planning on camping most nights, but will option for a room as needed.
Interested in what others that are experienced at moto travel (because I am not) carry along. I am fairly secure in what personal items to pack, but I'm open to any and all suggestions in that area as well.
Just for reference the route will be, roughly, AZ to MT to WA to So CA then return to AZ.
I want to do this before I can't.
I am endurance training. Bicycle, weight, riding longer distances in the heat, etc.
I was going to post my current and developing list, but I thought better to just have everyone throw their ideas out. The one primary essential that I will list is a CC with room to get me and my bike back home if it all goes terribly wrong!

E.Marquez 05-28-2018 07:21 AM

On the long distant rides I have done in the US my primary recovery plan was....rent a U haul truck, find a hardware store, or moto shop buy some tie downs and go home.
That said, not sure what kind of things your asking about..you said personal stuff is good, so not clothes, food I assume, so Tools? spares? kind of thing?
If so, do yo want to be able to tighten a screw, replace a missing M6 bolt or pull a wheel to take in for a new tire mid trip?
Spares....same kind of question..... Replace a fuse to change the oil and plugs.... where you at in that range?

xeris 05-28-2018 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by E.Marquez (Post 406290)
On the long distant rides I have done in the US my primary recovery plan was....rent a U haul truck, find a hardware store, or moto shop buy some tie downs and go home.
That said, not sure what kind of things your asking about..you said personal stuff is good, so not clothes, food I assume, so Tools? spares? kind of thing?
If so, do yo want to be able to tighten a screw, replace a missing M6 bolt or pull a wheel to take in for a new tire mid trip?
Spares....same kind of question..... Replace a fuse to change the oil and plugs.... where you at in that range?

Yes and yes. Minimal tools, spares (fuses, bulbs, etc), tire repair, electronics mounts, charge ports, spare/alternate moto clothing, extra gas (oh the woes of limited tank range).
Have been spending vast amounts of data allowance on research and thought on what I need and have covered(?), but hoping to tap into the knowledge base here. I am a complete nubie when it comes to moto touring. Not a nubie when it comes to improv though.
Have a 12v air compressor and tire plugging kit. Tools to do basic maintenance/repairs. Spare lever (fits both sides). Zip ties, tape, tie down straps, wire nuts, length of wire, chain lube, extra schrader valves, spare key, lock, cover, alarm, extra visor, flashlight/headlamp, Barrett .50, pack jack, ibuprofen, and some more.
Planning to check out and test some apps that seem useful, Waze, ESR,Scenic Moto Touring, others(?).

E.Marquez 05-28-2018 01:53 PM

Minimal tools
8, 10, 12mm wrench and 1/4" sockets. 1/4" drive ratchet. Screw driver with insert pits... then inserts bits of #1 & #2 Phillips, and 3/16, 1/4 & 5/16" flat blade bits, plus hex bit in same sized you have L keys for., leatherman multi tool, tire pressure gauge, Allen keys for what ever you have installed, plus what you need for plastics. Basically, go look at your bike,,,anything you want to tighten, loosen adjust, remove as a side of the road or hotel parking lot job,,write down the tool needed, compile a list, be realistic..If you really want to do be able to do "it" but "It" can be ignored for a bit does not keep you from riding) perhaps not bring the tools, for that, and pick up locally if needed.

spares (fuses, bulbs, etc),
3 of each size fuse on the bike, I don't sweat bulbs as in the US you can get what you need from an auto parts store, Walmart, ect.If you plan on doing a lot of night hours, then perhaps a headlight bulb if your running an H4. I have two 6ft pieces of primary wire in 12 & 16ga, rolled up in a small coil, also have a small roll of electrical tape, basically a 2/3 of used roll of good 3M stuff. and about 10ft of good 100MPH tape rolled on to a small plastic spool.(cash register receipt tape spool)

tire repair,
I have a plug kit and CO2 cartridges, plus the CO2 schrader adapter.. You wont get to full up pressure on the rear with 4 cartridges, but you will get riding pressure. Down side is if you do not get it plugged correct the first time, no spare air for second try...but I take that chance vice lugging a compressor around. I take 4 20 gram cartridges and Genuine Innovations Air Chuck Elite Inflator Includes 16g and 20g CO2 Cartridge.. Spend the money on some cartridges to practice at home..flat tire and use use 2 or three to inflate front, check pressure after all three... Same on rear but use 4 https://www.walmart.com/ip/20-x-16g-Threaded-CO2-Cartridges-Refills-For-Bike-Bicycle-Pump-Inflator/127011853?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=4549&a did=22222222227075833030&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=& wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=189729618399&wl4=pla-295227566045&wl5=21176&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10 =113734487&wl11=online&wl12=127011853&wl13=&veh=se m

Co2 tire inflation test

electronics mounts,
RAM Mounts Universal Cell Phone Holder Kit, in the steering stem. You may need a different top nut if you still have the closed OEM one.

charge ports,
I install a dual USB port on all my bikes ..I use the Marine rated one from Blue Sea
Highly recommend you get and install a fuse block from FZ1 , each circuit can be selected and changed at will for key on, or constant power. my USB port is set in Key on position, but I used a second position in the FZ1 to run up to a switch and the USB port, and set that one to constant..... In the event I want to charge my phone or something while parked

xeris 05-28-2018 04:17 PM

Thanks. That confirms a lot of what I've already done on what to carry.
I had several of the 20g cartridges for my mt. bike. Tried it on the moto rear, just like the video, thanks for that, and had the same experience. Left me with a queasy feeling. Tested the compressor at the same time and it felt much more reliable. Like you said if you don't get it plugged the first time.....
The compressor is not any bigger than 4-5 20gram cartridges. I have been lucky, I guess, as not had any flats on this bike.

8541Hawk 05-28-2018 06:36 PM

When you're in SoCal, look me up if you want the local tour.

xeris 05-28-2018 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk (Post 406298)
When you're in SoCal, look me up if you want the local tour.

Absolutely

Wicky 05-29-2018 12:24 AM

Spare key, emergency cash and some spare fuel in a safe canister.

Wolverine 05-29-2018 09:21 AM

Lugging a compressor, lol. Mine weighs 16 oz., how much does all your inflation kit weigh? Plus I can get proper pressure multiple times. I am lmao!

Wolverine 05-29-2018 09:22 AM

I’d add anti-monkey butt be the list. Ask me how I know. ��

E.Marquez 05-29-2018 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Wolverine (Post 406309)
Lugging a compressor, lol. Mine weighs 16 oz., how much does all your inflation kit weigh? Plus I can get proper pressure multiple times. I am lmao!

A: Never weighed them
B: I can stash those cartridges in several small spaces available, vice having one larger space dedicated to a compressor...I don't travel with more than tank bag and backpack no matter the time on the road...so space is at a premium.
C: At the time I added them to my kit, there was no small compressor with a duty cycle worth a shit, that cam in a small light weight package...
D: How many amps does that compressor draw?

E: Ok, so times change, new products brought to market, perhaps you have a great solution...., what is it? I showed you mine, show me yours...LOL...
what brand and model?
where did you get it?
price?
How many tires have you actually inflated with it, flat to full pressure? Has it lasted more then a few tire inflation's (not one after another, but times used)
How is it hooked up, battery clips direct to battery?

E.Marquez 05-29-2018 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Wolverine (Post 406309)
Lugging a compressor, lol. Mine weighs 16 oz., how much does all your inflation kit weigh?

I was curious so I weighed them ...each 20 gram cylinder weighs 69.7 grams.... my kit weighs 10.2oz total

this one is under 15oz https://touratech-usa.com/Store/Stop...or-Motorcycles
4x2x6" and takes 10 min to inflate a tire.... I guess that might work, have to take a look

xeris 05-29-2018 04:24 PM

Compressor is 6.04 oz. The hose and power cord is another 4.74 oz.
My test ran about 10 min. to fill the rear. Pulls 4 amps. Recommended max continuous run time of 30 min.
If it lasts only twice,gets me off the side of the road, I'm happy. For that matter, once.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sup...04ad3b9889.jpg

Wolverine 05-29-2018 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by xeris (Post 406324)
If it lasts only twice,gets me off the side of the road, I'm happy. For that matter, once.

I agree and have the same attitude.
If I remember right, I bought this one,, from the shop where I work, so it was one of the three (Tucker, WPS or Parts Unlimited).
https://www.stopngo.com/mini-air-com...ers-atvs-only/

smokinjoe73 05-29-2018 09:49 PM

I always bring a compressor (tiny one) and plug kit. If the plug fails, your stuck after you spent your co2. With a compressor you get many second chances. \
For sure spare key, duct tape wrapped around a pen to stow smaller. Zip ties, safety wire, small spray bottle for windex (seeing is important). Rain gear. Spare charged cel battery. Lithium charger. Lube & check cables before you go. Disc lock,

E.Marquez 05-30-2018 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Wolverine (Post 406327)
I have attitude.

Hey we agree....:p
I Kid, I Kid>>
Had it not been for this thread I would not have realized I was behind on what was out there for mini compressors. Tossing the Co2 for a new mini compressor this week.
I have a Dynaplug repair kit already, not sure how I missed the compressor option.
Dynaplug® Online Store | Dynaplug® Micro Pro Inflator

Think that's the one for me..

smokinjoe73 05-30-2018 06:34 AM

I'm paranoid about theft so I bring a super thin cover too. Hate leaving a bike out at a motel. If I can get ground floor I will bring it in the room. Otherwise park it in front of office and tip the desk person.

E.Marquez 05-30-2018 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 406339)
I'm paranoid about theft so I bring a super thin cover too. Hate leaving a bike out at a motel. If I can get ground floor I will bring it in the room. Otherwise park it in front of office and tip the desk person.

YUP, both of those with a third at times.. Park in front of my room and use a disk lock that has motion sensor and alarm.. The lock is not so that cant steal bike, its so they cant easily rid the bike of the alarm that will bring me to the bike in seconds.
I take the third option when I cant bring it in the room and the front desk person is either not what i consider trust worthy, or they are not the person who will be on shift in thieving hours.

Come to think of it, I've done option 2, then 3 in the same overnight stay..

xeris 05-30-2018 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 406339)

Have been thinking about this very thing. The idea of having the bike in jeopardy is easily the most stressful part of planning for the trip. I figure that a few nights along the way will be at a motel.
Disc locks, there are a bunch out there. Suggestions? After reading a lot of descriptions and reviews I do not have one picked out. Seems to me that ultimate strength, while important, is not the end all. I want one that is LOUD first, and beefy second. Also thinking that a alarm connected to the cover is a good first layer of defense.

jjansenrs 06-06-2018 08:18 PM

Heres how i pack the hawk.
Tent/sleeping bag/mat
bag of 2nd set of clothes
bag of rain gear
tank bag for smaller personal items
12v socket hooked to a key on wire so i can charge phone/sena while riding
tire repair kit + pump under seat. I use a small bicycle tire pump - it actually works quite well.
Stock tool kit does most small repairs
Edit - Also have a camp chair packed in there somewhere
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sup...4ca96076e.jpeg

xeris 06-07-2018 02:38 PM

Arrived back home yesterday from a test trip. About a 700 mile round trip. The bike performed flawlessly and I was mostly comfortable. I will have to do something about the seat. Butt burn after about 3 hrs.
Roads I traveled were great. A bit of boring sections, then some nice mountain and canyon twisties. Bisbee to Wilcox to (not that fun) Safford to Globe to (really fun leg) Show Low to (worst part of the trip with traffic and hi wind) Payson. Return was Payson to Globe to (hotter than you can imagine) Tucson (via Winkelman) to Sonoita to Tombstone to home.
As a bonus, if you can call it that, I got to ride my friends '95 Heritage Classic (Harley). Have never ridden one.
Vibrated so much I couldn't tell if my right foot was on the floor board or not. The trip counter reset knob looked like it was a fuzzy ball it was vibing so much. To each his own.

john the red 07-20-2018 02:12 PM

Looking to do a short tour at the end of this summer. These lists seem great.
Has anyone put together a "support" list of like minded people, grouped out by areas?

xeris 07-23-2018 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by john the red (Post 406889)
Has anyone put together a "support" list of like minded people, grouped out by areas?

None that I’ve seen. Good idea.

Wolverine 07-23-2018 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by john the red (Post 406889)

I have a few lists of forum members from the past t-shirt runs.

john the red 07-23-2018 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Wolverine (Post 406962)
I have a few lists of forum members from the past t-shirt runs.

They got the T-shirt. But are they gonna be willing to help a brutha out?
-JTR

nnjhawk02 07-26-2018 02:34 PM

As a SH owner for 16 yrs + > My Pizza Case Givi Top Case is awesome, but I still carry a bag - I bought a Dry Bag about 18 months ago & Finally used it for a trip.

I strapped it to the seat with 4 bungees - No problems - & caught rain, was carrying clothes for two peeps. Along with a tank bag.

My son (R6 rider) & I rode upstate NY last weekend - no issues with the dry bag, just over 600 miles R/T.

Safe Travels

xeris 07-27-2018 06:26 PM

Have my tent, sleeping bag, hi tech air mattress, rain gear. Mounted a cigarette lighter socket upfront to power electronics in a tank bag. Did a test packing today and see how everything is going to fit. Using Ogio side bags, tail bag and a Givi tank lock tank bag. I can see that I’m going to need a compression stuff sack for the sleeping bag. Even though it’s down it’s still pretty big. I will most likely end up adding a dry bag to the mix.

smokinjoe73 07-27-2018 07:41 PM

For me the biggest long distance tool was a homemade magnetic tank bag that was packed with clothes. I am able to sorta lay on it to prevent fatigue. Cruise control & I can go many hours like that.

smokinjoe73 07-27-2018 08:41 PM

Btw xeris where is the trip going to take you?

xeris 07-27-2018 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 407027)
Btw xeris where is the trip going to take you?

My original plan was: From here in southern AZ to MT to WA to SoCA and back home. The reason for MT as a destination has changed, so I might not go that way. Seattle area is the primary destination. How I get there is a question I'm working out now.