SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Everything Else (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/everything-else-31/)
-   -   snow storm (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/everything-else-31/snow-storm-17612/)

finepooch 02-19-2009 03:04 PM

snow storm

going out to snowblow the driveway.
moncton nb canada is just dandy in february.

VTRsurfer 02-19-2009 05:07 PM

Have fun. I went surfing this morning and went for a 50 mile ride this afternoon.:cool:

skokievtr 02-19-2009 05:18 PM

[QUOTEgoing out to snowblow the driveway.

Have fun. I went surfing this morning and went for a 50 mile ride this afternoon.[/QUOTE]

#1 why can't people indicate where they live below their avatar, and we are expecting 6" tomorrow-Sat

#2 I don't want to hear about warm places...having lived (past tense) in SD

g_clarke_2008 02-19-2009 05:54 PM

I can relate pooch, it just started snowing in Calgary. Nothing compared to the storms you guys are getting pounded with on the east coast but it pushes spring riding further on down the road.

finepooch 02-19-2009 06:04 PM

yeah, you out west get colder temps but we down east(atlantic canada) get more snow. we both suck!
i'm sitting in the living room, cooling off after sweating big time, snow removal is a work out. i've got about 8000sqft of driveway, very large and up hill. what just happened? the plow just went by and buried the end of my drive way. i'm so fortunate.

VTRsurfer 02-19-2009 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by finepooch (Post 201749)
what just happened? the plow just went by and buried the end of my drive way. i'm so fortunate.

That sucks!

g_clarke_2008 02-19-2009 06:22 PM

We are supposed to be around -20 overnight through the weekend but your snow removal tales make me feel a little better as I haven't had the shovel out since the end of December.

nuhawk 02-19-2009 06:24 PM

It's kinda the opposite for us in the south. As it gets warmer our season of comfortable riding starts to wane. We also have to deal with a thunderstorm pattern that is typical for this time of the year. And it's been a big blow bitch this winter. See Randy's post about being pushed all over the road.

VTRsurfer 02-19-2009 06:32 PM

Yeah, wind is the worst, then fog...getting rear ended by some nitwit going 60 with 50' visibility.

My wife grew up in Canada (Montreal then Regina), and she remembers the "muck season" as being the worst. I guess you can ride in it, but you'll be washing your bike often.

finepooch 02-19-2009 07:07 PM

can't ride here from early november to april. i mean cannot ride. snow, salt, cold, it's just not possible.

i snow blow about once a week, or so.

the plow goes buy and fills the driveway in/ yeah, surfer it's grand. hahahaha. at least i got a work out for my body and mental relaxation.

RickB 02-20-2009 05:56 AM

its 18 degrees with gusts to 30mph blowing the light snow around - gotta love it. We had a warmup last week for a few days but of course I had a flu bug and didn't get to go for a ride... My last ride was in December :(

Tweety 02-20-2009 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by finepooch (Post 201716)

I just digged my car out of a snowdrift to go to work... I know how you feel...

mikstr 02-20-2009 06:52 AM

I'll bet the snowmobile trails are awesome though...woohoo!!!!!

seriously, get a sled man! You live right by one of the world`s best trail systems (NBFSC) and, like it or not, winter is a reality and here to stay. Trust me, snowmobiling takes the sting out of winter....

FL02SupaHawk996 02-20-2009 07:21 AM

Doing the 12 hrs. of Santos MTB race this weekend in Ocala, FL gonna be camping in 40 degrees overnight temps...burr!
LOL:cool:

mikstr 02-20-2009 07:22 AM

Cold is very relative. With the quality and variety of clothing available nowadays, one is only cold if one wants to be....

I have been out in -50 temperatures (and colder) and was comfortable, but I was properly dressed. Same with snowmobiling, I always get a chuckle when people whine about it being too cold to ride,..... Buy some decent clothing and get off the couch. Winter is a reality up here so there`s no sense hibernating for half the year ...

FL02SupaHawk996 02-20-2009 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by mikstr (Post 201814)
Cold is very relative. With the quality and variety of clothing available nowadays, one is only cold if one wants to be....

I have been out in -50 temperatures (and colder) and was comfortable, but I was properly dressed. Same with snowmobiling, I always get a chuckle when people whine about it being too cold to ride,..... Buy some decent clothing and get off the couch. Winter is a reality up here so there`s no sense hibernating for half the year ...

True dat!

finepooch 02-20-2009 09:25 AM

i don't think i'd enjoy riding in below freezing temps. bundled up or not. also, the roads are covered with ice, snow, water, salt, etc... it is simply not possible to ride.

i have hockey and snowblowing to keep me busy in the winter. sleds are not my style.

a snowmobile trail runs though my back yard. i think it's the one you're talking about. it has signs posted depicting the trail number in a picture of the province of nb - they look like an official road sign. i used to ride my street/trail on that trail. i think it's #34 but according to the map it's #660. i live right at magnetic hill.
map:
http://www.nbfsc.com/zone6.pdf

k-d-williams 02-20-2009 02:12 PM

Man that must suck. I complain when the weather gets into the 50's at night and I have to put my liner into my jacket to ride!

cameron 02-20-2009 04:40 PM

im loving texas right about now.

finepooch 02-20-2009 05:43 PM

not trying to be rude, just making an observation: i never thought of it before but now i see you guys down south have no idea of life up north. if you did you'd be thankful for your weather. you guys have to put on a liner. bahhhh, that's nothing. i really can't ride from nov to april. oct and april are still so cold that riding isn't enjoyable. sept and may are just ok. june is somewhat good. july and august are the only two months we can truly enjoy riding.

all winter i think about the little things. like riding through the kingston peninsula, stopping at the gas station, sitting in the sun enjoying a cola with my riding buddy, adrian. when we are sitting there i always say that we'd better enjoy it because winter's right around the corner.

tomorrow i am going to repair the chute on my snowblower and finish the driveway. i will think of that kingston gas station and how good those cokes are there. just a few months away.

Rock Storm 02-22-2009 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by finepooch (Post 201716)

I here ya. Gander, Newfoundland, Canada is no better. Thank God for snowblowers. Spring is coming, soon hopefully.:cool:

RK1 02-22-2009 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by finepooch (Post 201936)
not trying to be rude, just making an observation: i never thought of it before but now i see you guys down south have no idea of life up north.

You don't sound rude but in my case just wrong. I moved to So. Ca. from Minneapolis. Before that, I lived in Syracuse.

Mpls, Minn is the coldest big city in the U.S. Syracuse gets more snow than any other city in the U.S.

I actually miss the cold and snow sometimes. I miss skating on the lakes, sledding down the hills and cross country skiing. I make myself feel better by going for a ride.

finepooch 02-22-2009 02:47 PM

gander! i think you guys out there get winter worse than us in nb. one of my good friends is from there, mark mullett.

mpls and syracuse - you know winter!!! upstate ny gets pounded!

Rock Storm 02-22-2009 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by finepooch (Post 202156)
gander! i think you guys out there get winter worse than us in nb. one of my good friends is from there, mark mullett.

mpls and syracuse - you know winter!!! upstate ny gets pounded!

Our winters are slightly worse than yours but not a big difference, only longer :eek:

I think I would know Mark If I saw him. Does he have an older brother Doug?

My "storm" and I were on Magnetic Hill for the Eagles in Aug. Camped on the big field with a s..tload of other people. Great Fun.:cheers:

finepooch 02-23-2009 05:31 AM

just asked mark, yes, he has a brother doug. mark's now asking me who you are!

eagles - I live right on front mountain rd. the concert site and i are on the very same street, we're neighbors. i listened to the eagles from my deck. over the years we've had the rolling stones, tim & faith, allan jackson, brooks & dung, sam roberts, maroon five, etc... rumour has it that we're getting ac/dc and u2 on two separate weekends this year.

Rock Storm 02-23-2009 11:13 AM

I've heard the AC/DC rumor, but not U2. Both would be good shows to see. My name is Rod McDonald. I think I'm a couple years older than Mark. I'm pretty sure I know him, the memory is the first to go they say.

finepooch 02-23-2009 11:29 AM

i really don't need two concerts! one per year is enough!

Rock Storm 02-25-2009 03:23 PM

Never enough! If its a good group that is.

finepooch 02-25-2009 03:26 PM

for a resident one concert is enough!

that snow storm blasted moncton. 2hrs, 40min to clean driveway and then had to clean again the next night.

RCVTR 02-25-2009 04:20 PM

We've been getting pounded up here in the Sierra Nevada mountains.

I just lost a longtime friend and backcountry ski partner in an avalanche on Saturday. I had just spoken with him at a restaurant on Friday evening! Now he's f@#ing gone!

I don't know what he was thinking. We'd gotten 6-8 feet of snow in the high country in the last 3 weeks, on top of a rain crust that everyone knew was there, and that the new snow was poorly bonded to. We ski'd a safe north facing line in the powder that morning, noticing how quickly the snow was heating up. He was in a steep south-facing chute at about noon, by himself. Not that a partner could have saved him.

Yeah, now I remember that divorce makes you do stupid stuff.

RIP Christopher. I'm going to miss you.