SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Everything Else (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/everything-else-31/)
-   -   Post Whoring Newbie Thread (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/everything-else-31/post-whoring-newbie-thread-10950/)

xecutech 03-31-2007 07:41 AM

Post Whoring Newbie Thread

Please keep in mind, I bought this bike used without the manual. I tried to take the seat off and I can't! It looks like it goes up, then back and off?

Are these typicall hard to remove? Is there something I should look for that would cause it to be a pain in the a$$???

Thanks.

xecutech 03-31-2007 07:47 AM

Ok, I did a search on the site and found it. Next time I will search first, then ask questions.... :)

Birdoprey 03-31-2007 07:50 AM

turn the key in the lock and hold it while lifting the rear edge of the seat. you have to bend the seat a little. now while holding the rear of the seat up, smack the seat rearward with the palm of your hand. hit the seat on the rise between the rider and passenger area.

Birdoprey 03-31-2007 07:50 AM

OK. nevermind...

xecutech 03-31-2007 07:53 AM

Thanks birdofprey, I didn't see to do it that way and I will try that. Damn, you guys are soooo helpful and friendly here. BTW, why arean't yall out riding instead of surfing the web and answering newbies questions? :0

Just kidding with ya, I am glad you were online to help me out.

Birdoprey 03-31-2007 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by xecutech (Post 46354)
BTW, why arean't yall out riding instead of surfing the web and answering newbies questions? :0

I'm married...and I just finished two 15 hour workdays so I have to hang around and play the attentive husband.:)

What? Coming dear...

firestorm'n 03-31-2007 08:13 AM

I wish a was in a warm state like ya'll.My wife is working her part time job today,but its raining and 50 degrees. One day every weekend my wife works at a gas station.It freaken rules. One day with no passenger and I can go where ever when ever and as fast as my 'storm will take me. God Bless the working woman and America!

xecutech 03-31-2007 08:13 AM

Understood, as I am married myself.
I just got my bike yesterday and rode it for the first time this morning and I don't think I will see my family again until Monday! :)

Well, we do have the Predators game tonight and church in the morning, but after that, they won't see me for a while.

Again thanks, you have been very helpful.

Hawkrider 03-31-2007 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by xecutech (Post 46350)
Ok, I did a search on the site and found it. Next time I will search first, then ask questions.... :)

Hey guys, he's trainable! :)

Glad you're learning something. There's a thread around here about trimming plastic off the latch and filing down the metal hooks.

Hawkrider 03-31-2007 08:24 AM

Oh, and feel free to ask anyway. If nobody were to post then we wouldn't get to know each other.

xecutech 03-31-2007 12:36 PM

Cool, thanks guys. I rode for about 40 miles today and I have to admit... I love this bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I had rode crusiers before and if I knew sportbikes was this fun, I would have never even looked at cruisers.

drew_c14 03-31-2007 01:23 PM

Have you gotten rid of those pesky chicken strips yet?

xecutech 03-31-2007 09:17 PM

chicken strips?

Hawkrider 04-01-2007 07:26 AM

Yeah, they're really good with honey mustard or BBQ sauce. :)

drew_c14 04-01-2007 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkrider (Post 46501)
Yeah, they're really good with honey mustard or BBQ sauce. :)

I've always favored ranch myself.

khanawalt 04-01-2007 07:55 AM

I bought mine from a girl this week, and not to be sexist, but the chicken strips are embarrassing. I'm sure she looked very hot on it though (did that get me off the hook? No? Dang!) Now, don't go off all half-cocked. I know there are women out there who could make be go crying home to Mama after I tried stayin' with 'em. The odds are not high that I'll find many though. It's that testosterone thing.

I haven't been up the canyon yet. It snowed this week so there will be lots of sand up there. Maybe I'll find some clear spots this afternoon to mark up that tread closer to the edge.

BTW, chicken strips, to the curious, are the pristine, unused portion of rubber between the edges of the tread and the visible markings of treadwear applied by the rider. The wider the chicken strip, the less aggressive the rider. You gotta LEAN that thing to get rid of chicken strips. But don't put ranch dressing on 'em. You'll crash.

My Goldwing chicken strips are nearly non-existent. My VF1000R also. But I gotta fix the "Hawk.

drew_c14 04-01-2007 08:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Chicken strips
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A chicken strip is a sometimes derogatory term used to describe the width of unused tread on the edges of motorcycle tires, typically a sport bike.

At speed, a turning motorcycle leans. The faster the turn, the farther the motorcycle leans over. For a formula relating speed, turn radius, and lean angle, see Bicycle and motorcycle physics. As the motorcycle leans, the contact patch moves farther to the side of the tire causing wear. The chicken strip is the amount of unused wear caused by a motorcyclist being considered too chicken to go faster through a turn and thereby lean the motorcycle farther over.

This is frequently used as a derogatory term deriving from the term chicken. Hence, chicken strips mark an inexperienced motorcyclist who is afraid to lean a motorcycle far enough to wear the edges of the tire. It should be noted however that due to the handling capabilities of many modern motorcycles, and the vagaries of road condition, it is not advisable to exploit outer handling limits on public roads. On a closed race circuit, however, a rider is expected to use the edges of the tires on turns in order to stay competitive.

Chicken strips can also be caused by commuting, lack of "twisties" riding, doing numerous/repeated burnouts or, to a lesser extent, wheelies. They may be seen as evidence of "squidly" behaviour.

Wikipedia ROCKS!!:kneel:

ali_squidz 04-01-2007 09:32 AM

thats the funniest post I have seen all year. LOL
Mine doesnt come off because the undertail is all broken so the cable no longer sits in the holder where it is supposed to.

Originally Posted by drew_c14 (Post 46508)
Chicken strips
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A chicken strip is a sometimes derogatory term used to describe the width of unused tread on the edges of motorcycle tires, typically a sport bike.

At speed, a turning motorcycle leans. The faster the turn, the farther the motorcycle leans over. For a formula relating speed, turn radius, and lean angle, see Bicycle and motorcycle physics. As the motorcycle leans, the contact patch moves farther to the side of the tire causing wear. The chicken strip is the amount of unused wear caused by a motorcyclist being considered too chicken to go faster through a turn and thereby lean the motorcycle farther over.

This is frequently used as a derogatory term deriving from the term chicken. Hence, chicken strips mark an inexperienced motorcyclist who is afraid to lean a motorcycle far enough to wear the edges of the tire. It should be noted however that due to the handling capabilities of many modern motorcycles, and the vagaries of road condition, it is not advisable to exploit outer handling limits on public roads. On a closed race circuit, however, a rider is expected to use the edges of the tires on turns in order to stay competitive.

Chicken strips can also be caused by commuting, lack of "twisties" riding, doing numerous/repeated burnouts or, to a lesser extent, wheelies. They may be seen as evidence of "squidly" behaviour.

Wikipedia ROCKS!!:kneel:

xecutech 04-01-2007 09:42 AM

Then no, I have chicken strips. This is my first sportbike and I am just getting used to the power and leaning more in the corners.
I am getting used to it and hopefully, I won't have chicken strips later down the road.

drew_c14 04-01-2007 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by ali_squidz (Post 46536)
thats the funniest post I have seen all year. LOL
Mine doesnt come off because the undertail is all broken so the cable no longer sits in the holder where it is supposed to.

I had to read your post at least five times trying to figure out what you were talking about. I couldn't understand what a broken undertail had to do with chicken strips. Then I remembered this was all about seats. DUH!

Randman 04-01-2007 10:17 AM

:threadjack: :admin:

Randman 04-01-2007 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by xecutech (Post 46347)
Please keep in mind, I bought this bike used without the manual. I tried to take the seat off and I can't! It looks like it goes up, then back and off?

Are these typicall hard to remove? Is there something I should look for that would cause it to be a pain in the a$$???

Thanks.

I could really have fun with this one, but I am going to leave it alone...But the title is beging me to exploit it!!!

johnnyhonda 04-01-2007 10:50 AM

this thread went from seats to chicken strips to seats to ripping on xecutech in 2.5 sec.

ali_squidz did you get it fixed?

drew_c14 04-01-2007 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by xecutech (Post 46538)
Then no, I have chicken strips. This is my first sportbike and I am just getting used to the power and leaning more in the corners.
I am getting used to it and hopefully, I won't have chicken strips later down the road.

Nothing to worry about. We all start out somewhere. Anybody who says they've never had chicken strips on a bike is full of it. If this is your first and only sportbike you might not notice it right away, but the stock front suspension is really bad. IMO it's almost dangerous if you plan on going really fast. If you just want to cruise around and maybe every once in a while go fast in a straight line then there is nothing to worry about with it.

johnnyhonda 04-01-2007 11:09 AM

I've never had any problems with the oem suspension. Maybe I just got like with my bike.

Just take your time and get to know you bike. Don't push yourself to hard, before you now it you'll be whipping through the twisty's like a pro. Injoy and keep her shinny side up.

xecutech 04-01-2007 04:49 PM

I did notice that I used a little more of the tire today, but still not pushing her too hard yet. I am taking your advice and getting to know the bike more first. This thread has been fun to watch.

ali_squidz 04-01-2007 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by johnnyhonda (Post 46562)
ali_squidz did you get it fixed?

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...?t=5095&page=2

Working on it!:D

johnnyhonda 04-02-2007 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by xecutech (Post 46615)
This thread has been fun to watch.

I would have to agree.

Randman 04-02-2007 06:25 AM

I like to Watch:shock: :shock:

ali_squidz 04-02-2007 06:30 AM

what do you like to watch, chicken?