SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Everything Else (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/everything-else-31/)
-   -   My daughter and depression (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/everything-else-31/my-daughter-depression-31833/)

RWhisen 04-02-2014 06:06 PM

My daughter and depression

1 Attachment(s)
My sweet 15 year old daughter took her own life on the 5th of March.

We have been battling depression as well as other problems for the last year through four hospitalizations and numerous outpatient therapies. We had hoped that these demons were finally on the run and our loving daughter could be a well adjusted happy young woman but alas her troubles were too strong. She was active in the band at her high school, enrolled in advanced placement classes and was well liked among her peers. At a candlelight vigil a few days after her death there was easily 500 people in attendance and approximately the same for her funeral services.

Panther Band mourns member - The Crowley Star - Crowley, Texas

We have joined forces with a couple of national suicide prevention organizations in the hope that we can prevent other parents from having to suffer through this as we are now. Unfortunately, over 5000 kids kill themselves each year. One is too many.

Megan loved to ride with me on the bikes and we started early. I used to take her around the neighborhood on the Hawk....well at least until the missus found out. Had to wait till she was older to get her out on the HD but she really enjoyed it.

Attachment 22789

If you wish to help you may go to this website and do what you can. Thank you all very much and God bless you and your families.

Save a Teen's Life in Memory of Megan Whisenhunt - MegansLike.org

http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps2fae9449.jpg

scottiemann 04-02-2014 06:14 PM

Im very sorry for your loss, my prayers go out to you and your family.

Jack Flash 04-02-2014 06:16 PM

My deepest condolences. To loose a child this way is tragic. Very sorry for your loss, and wish you and your family courage through these sad times.

rick 04-02-2014 06:39 PM

Very sorry for your loss.

I will keep you and your family in my prayers. Stay strong.

8541Hawk 04-02-2014 06:47 PM

Sorry for your loss. If there is anything I can do just shoot me a PM.

Will do what I can at the web site ASAP

E.Marquez 04-02-2014 06:52 PM

Russ, No words........... Sorry my friend

hawxter996 04-02-2014 06:55 PM

so deeply sorry to hear this.
no parent should have to go through this.
as a grandparent who is witnessing troubles with his
6 yr old granddaughter.
this terrifies me.
my prayers are with you and your family.

captainchaos 04-02-2014 07:05 PM

So very sorry to hear this my friend. Lost my best friend this way a few years back. Thoughts and prayers to and your family, God bless.

mikstr 04-02-2014 07:08 PM

So sorry.... have struggled with depression most of my life.... I hope my daughter doesn't inherit this from me......

Kudos to you for finding something positive from a sad and tragic event....

RobertLever 04-02-2014 07:44 PM

I'm sorry you lost your daughter to depression. Good luck with the website.

Wolverine 04-02-2014 08:29 PM

Deepest condolences. Your story darned near brough a tear to my eye.
At first there wasn't a day go by that I'd think about my aunt who took her own life. About 13 years later it's still very very hard to see movies or stories on tv where someone portrays suicide. If you ever want to chat, don't hesitate to contact me.

jscobey 04-02-2014 08:51 PM

deeply sorry to hear this. im so sorry for your loss.

were all here for you if you need anything at all. my prayers go out to you and your family. i know the pain of loosing a loved one to suicide all to well. one of the best things i did after was become active in a suicide prevention charity. God Bless

smokinjoe73 04-02-2014 08:51 PM

Deeply sad and sorrowful for your loss. Tearfully promising all prayers for you and your family. God's blessing on your efforts to help others like you are. Truly inspirational.

VTR1000F 04-02-2014 09:29 PM

So very sorry to read this terribly sad news. When a young person passes before they have the chance to truly live, it is simply a tragedy. My heart aches for you and your family. May you all have the strength to carry on in this difficult time.

Upland111 04-02-2014 10:45 PM

My heart goes out to you and your family.......

NHSH 04-03-2014 06:55 AM

Sorry to hear that brother, it is beyond comprehension... just thought about my young daughter and that I will do anything I can in my power to prevent things like that from happening.
No parent should experience loosing their babies, with tears in my eyes... My heart is with you.

comedo 04-03-2014 07:30 AM

Such a terrible loss. There's so much to struggle to come to terms with. My deepest condolences.

nnjhawk02 04-03-2014 07:35 AM

Sorry to hear of your loss. I went through this some years back with my brother - its very difficult.

I always tell people> Problems are temporary and every problem has a solution, regardless how hard it may be.

I sought therapy very quickly, as I knew it was beyond my own skills of analysis.

All the best to you & your family.

Donation sent

killer5280 04-03-2014 07:55 AM

Breaks my heart.

wyldryce 04-03-2014 08:21 AM

What a sobering, deeply saddening post. I am so very sorry for your loss. My daughter is about the same age as your Megan when she posed on your Hawk, and frequently has the same joyful look on her face. I can only hope that she remains so joyfully ebullient through her life. I am gladdened to see the the passion and resolve you are showing in helping others deal with the specter of depression. My nursing school buddy went in to childrens Psych nursing...it takes special people with a special passion for this, and I'm glad you are championing the cause. Thank you for sharing her, and your story.

7moore7 04-03-2014 08:33 AM

There are no words. So sorry to hear... hope the donations help... wish we could do more.

oahu hawk 04-03-2014 10:47 AM

So sorry for your loss, may your beloved daughter rest in peace....

mcg 04-03-2014 03:36 PM

I can't even imagine your pain. Here's a little hope...you may find some peace and knowing that we are are never truly separated.

Check out "Proof of Heaven" by Dr. Eben Alexander
Eben Alexander

Peace Bro

CrankenFine 04-03-2014 04:31 PM

Deeply saddening. Respect and sympathy to you and your family.

insulinboy 04-03-2014 05:35 PM

I'm truly sorry for your loss. I was committed twice in my teens battling depression before I was diagnosed manic. I cant imagine now what I had put my poor parents through. If there is anything I can do for you, I'm also willing to chat if you want to or need to. Sometimes its easier to grieve (or at least I know it is for me) with a stranger on a keyboard than it is with family or someone I'm close to.

speedkelly@aol.com 04-03-2014 07:38 PM

Heart felt prayers for you and your family. I can't imagine how one deals with this!

redhawk98 04-03-2014 09:59 PM

I am so very sorry for your loss, my condolences to you and your family.

Your actions are courageous and sincere, I wish you much strength to persevere.

VTRsurfer 04-03-2014 10:25 PM

Words cannot express the sorrow my wife and I feel for the loss of your daughter.

You should take comfort in knowing that you spent quality time with her. It sounds like you did everything possible to avoid this tragedy. Her memory will always be with you.

Hopey 04-04-2014 05:31 AM

My deepest condolences!

RWhisen 04-04-2014 03:30 PM

Dear friends,

Thank you so much for your prayers and thoughts. It has been nearly a month since my daughter's death and I will tell you, at this point it does not get easier. Not a second goes by that I don't think of Megan. My brain knows we did everything we could do but my heart doesn't listen to the brain. Some of you have written of your own struggles and I am so glad you have those demons under control but there are many who don't.

If you can, spread the word about depression and teen suicide, it is such a tragedy and it can happen to anyone, from any family. It isn't always the "fringe" kids or the loners who kill themselves, sometimes it's the popular kids, the kids who you would think have everything to live for. The problem is, when depression comes calling they don't realize how precious the gift of life is and that the pain they suffer is only temporary. All they know is that they can't stand it any longer and will do anything to stop the suffering they feel.

This is where awareness comes in to play. I have learned more in the last year as we have gone through these struggles than I ever wanted to know about depression. The kids have to know that there are people that they can talk to, someone that will listen to their problems, feelings and talk to them WITHOUT judging. That is the whole reason we joined forces with ImAlive and Hopeline. They are national organizations dedicated to helping teens and adults prevent suicide. If you haven't done so, please look at MegansLike.org or on Facebook, Megan's Like. All donations are tax deductible but the important thing to know is that there is someone out there to talk to. My wife and I are going to order some wristbands and other stuff so we can pass them out to kids at school. Megan had a whiteboard in her room upstairs where she would write homework reminders or inspirational messages and on it she had written "I swear to God that I will change the world". Maybe this is how she will change the world....

Love your family. Love your friends. Give all of them an extra hug.

Russ