Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

snow

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 01:17 PM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
snow

today the snow blower's new engine got it's first real test. couple hiccups but not too bad. going from an 8hp to a 13hp with 12v electric start is a nice improvement.

the weather is gonna get a lot worse before it gets better. no riding 'til april. welcome to moncton canada.
Old 11-22-2008, 01:51 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
No real snow in the Buffalo NY area yet but the southern part of western NY is getting pounded with a few feet - great news for the ski resorts down there... Its pretty darn cold though so no riding for me either.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:28 PM
Squid

markcalbar is on a distinguished road
Damn guys sorry to hear about the bad weather! Ill tear up the road for you guys her in West Texas. 1 day of snow in the last 3 years.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:29 PM
Superstock

sumthin_major is on a distinguished road
We havent had any snow and dont expect any anytime soon. But it is 30 right now and aside from the 4wheelers, I'm not doin any ridin any time soon.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:36 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Bah you are all wussies... I have been riding to work for almost a week now in subzero temps (C, so high 20 to low 30f) and I plan to park the bike sometime next week when the first real snow is supposed to hit... Up to now only a light powder that turned to slush in minutes... Real damn slick to ride in though...
Old 11-22-2008, 04:25 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
What's a snow blower?
Old 11-22-2008, 05:45 PM
Back Marker

SD Hawk is on a distinguished road
Greetings from San Diego!!!!
I recall snow, from my 3 years in Watertown and Rome New York.
That said, spring is just 3-4 months away for all of you in the NE!
Old 11-22-2008, 05:54 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Time to get out snowmobiling.... woohoo! The only thing as good (or possibly even better) than motorcycles
Old 11-22-2008, 07:48 PM
i support twins
Superstock

BlackHawk996 is on a distinguished road
im gunna see if i can make the best of the snow with my jeep and some snowboarding.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:01 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
It was about 80 degrees here this afternoon. A bit warmer than I like, but I opened the vents on my jacket and I was OK.

Don't you just hate it when it's warm enough you get tempted to ride without a jacket?
Old 11-23-2008, 07:15 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
I'm feelin' your pain too finepooch. It's been mid 20's(F) here overnight. Not too cold to go "around the block" during the day, but definitely not riding the Hawk to work anymore. I guess I'll get my snowblower out and prep it. We've been getting a few light flurries so I imagine it won't be too long before the deep stuff is possible .
Old 11-23-2008, 12:13 PM
SuperBike

we got something like a foot of snow. i have an 8000sqft driveway and it took me hours to clean it out, and another hour or so today to reclean out the drifts!

wusses? yeah, we're real wusses here! hahahahaha!!! do you guys in sweeden have studded tires? heated roads?! hahahahahahaha ya friggin' euro trash!!! oh man, that might be too harsh. just having fun!
Old 11-23-2008, 12:57 PM
Squid

dakmatik is on a distinguished road
I'm jealous. I can't wait for the white stuff to really hit. We haven't got more than a dusting yet.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:21 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by finepooch
we got something like a foot of snow. i have an 8000sqft driveway and it took me hours to clean it out, and another hour or so today to reclean out the drifts!

wusses? yeah, we're real wusses here! hahahahaha!!! do you guys in sweeden have studded tires? heated roads?! hahahahahahaha ya friggin' euro trash!!! oh man, that might be too harsh. just having fun!
Yep... studded tires... but not on the hawk... Nor heated roads neither... which is why she's getting parked now... It's up to a foot of the nasty stuff now and still falling...

Fun? So me calling you ignoramus is ok then? No? then keep the names to your self please...

BTW not to continue the name calling (I'd say it's about even... don't ya think? ) what would be the explanantion behind "euro trash" ie why would you be trash because you are European? It's about as logical as me saying all canadians are living in a block house in the woods with perpetual snow accompanied by his sled hounds... (which would be the media image...)

Europe isn't one country, contrary to popular belief in the US and Canada... Many different people and even more different climate...
Old 11-23-2008, 04:40 PM
SuperBike

tweedy, i tried to make it obvious that i was just teasing you! did i not make that clear enough for you? sorry about that. seriously, i am just teasing. this is good nature. i am sorry you took it the wrong way.
also, you began the name calling. i believe you threw out the term "wussies"!!! that sounded like a joke to me. i just wanted to continue the laugh.
euro trash. what is euro trash. good question. i think wikipedia could explain it better than me:
Eurotrash is a pejorative term with a variety of applications.
  • Referring to certain young, relatively wealthy Europeans traveling around the world on their parents' money, who have a general disdain for hard work, personal initiative and entrepreneurship.[1]
  • To describe a subgroup of European party-goers who stereotypically practice recreational party drug use, listen to trendy dance music, and have a general disdain for more traditional lifestyles.[citation needed]
  • A common description for any Europeans that are perceived to be pretentious about their education, status, cultural superiority or intelligence. In general, any European that could be categorised as a snob.[citation needed]
  • The young, well-to-do, usually Europeans who live a trendy lifestyle especially in the United States.[2]
hahahahahah, i love the term euro trash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

europe isn't one country???? wow! hahahahahahaha sorry, i couldn't resist!!!!

back to the snow. i am going to look up you climate data and compare it to my hometown, moncton.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:52 PM
SuperBike

just looked up malmo on wikipedia. they describe your climate as similar to new york city's. that makes you the snow/winter wuss! hahahahahahahahahahahaha

please keep in mind that this is good natured teasing! i'm joking around here!

i'm going to read more on malmo when i get a chance.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:19 AM
MotoGP

Yeah I understood the tone... It's the term of euro trash that I disliked... I work for my toy-money...

Snob... I'm not...

Yeah I guess the climate is similar to New York in some respects... A bit less windy and a bit more snow though... Not that big difference... Altough I grew up in Östersund... That's a... well a bit more snow... Last time I talked to my cousin he was complaining that his tractor wouldn't budge the snow walls around the driveway... They are now as high as the house...
Old 11-24-2008, 07:55 AM
SuperBike

eurotrash is a hilarious term! i love it. call me white trash i guess.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:50 AM
MotoGP

Then all is good in the world...
Altough the American term for me would probably be "farm-boy" or possibly "hillbilly"... As I'm still not a "city person" in the eyes of my workmates and so on...
Old 11-24-2008, 02:16 PM
SuperBike

malmo. gravel pile. 250k people. far south of sweden. some hard times over the years. interesting twisted tower. new bridge a few years ago to link to coppenhagen. substatial muslim population.

maybe someday i'll go there.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:39 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
This should give you guys a chuckle. My Dad sent me this when he found out I was moving to NY....

Dear Diary:

December 8: 6:00 PM:
It started to snow. The first snow of the season and the wife and I took our cocktails and sat for hours by the window watching the huge soft flakes drift down from heaven. It looked like a Grandma Moses Print. So romantic we felt like newlyweds again.
I love snow!

December 9:
We woke to a beautiful blanket of crystal white snow covering every inch of the landscape. What a fantastic sight! Can there be a more lovely place in the Whole World? Moving here was the best idea I've ever had. Shoveled for the first time in years, felt like a boy again. I did both our driveway and the sidewalks. This
afternoon the snowplow came along and covered up the sidewalks and closed in the
driveway, so I got to shovel again. What a perfect life.

December 12:
The sun has melted all our lovely snow. Such a disappointment. My neighbour tells me not to worry, we'll definitely have a white Christmas. No snow on Christmas would be awful! Bob says we'll have so much snow by the end of winter, that I'll
Never want to see snow again. I don't think that's possible. Bob is such a nice man, I'm glad he's our neighbour.

December 14:
Snow, lovely snow! 8" last night. The temperature dropped to -20. The cold makes everything sparkle so. The wind took my breath away, but I warmed up by shoveling the driveway and sidewalks. This is the life! The snowplow came back this afternoon and buried everything again. I didn't realize I would have to do quite this much shoveling, but I'll certainly get back in shape this way. I wish I wouldn't huff and puff so.

December 15:
20 inches forecast. Sold my van and bought a 4x4 Blazer. Bought snow tires for the wife's car and two extra shovels. Stocked the freezer. The wife wants a wood stove in case the electricity goes out. I think that's silly. We aren't in Alaska, after all.

December 16:
Ice storm this morning. Fell on my *** on the ice in the driveway putting down salt. Hurt like hell. The wife laughed for an hour, which I think was very cruel.

December 17:
Still way below freezing. Roads are too icy to go anywhere. Electricity was off or five hours. I had to pile the blankets on to stay warm. Nothing to do but stare at the wife and try not to irritate her. Guess I should've bought a wood
stove, but won't admit it to her. God I hate it when she's right. I can't believe I'm freezing to death in my own living room.

December 20:
Electricity's back on, but had another 14" of the damn stuff last night. More shoveling. Took all day. Goddamn snowplow came by twice. Tried to find a neighbour kid to shovel, but they said they're too busy playing hockey. I think they're lying. Called the only hardware store around to see about buying a snow blower, and they're out. Might have another shipment in March. I think they're
lying. Bob says I have to shovel or the city will have it done and bill me. I think he's lying.

December 22:
Bob was right about a white Christmas, because 13 more inches of the white **** fell today, and it's so cold it probably won't melt 'til August. Took me 45 minutes to get all dressed up to go out to shovel, and then I had to ****. By the time I got undressed, pissed and dressed again, I was too tired to shovel! Tried
To hire Bob, who has a plow on his truck, for the rest of the winter; but he says he's too busy. I think the ******* is lying.

December 23:
Only 2" of snow today, and it warmed up to "0". The wife wanted me to decorate the front of the house this morning. What, is she nuts!!! Why didn't she tell me to do that a month ago? She says she did, but I think she's lying.

December 24:
6". Snow packed so hard by snowplow, I broke the shovel. Thought I was having a heart attack. If I ever catch the son-of-a-bitch who drives that snowplow, I'll drag him through the snow by his ***** and beat him to death with my broken shovel. I know he hides around the corner and waits for me to finish shoveling and then he comes down the street at a 100 miles an hour and throws snow all
over everywhere I've just been! Tonight the wife wanted me to sing Christmas carols with her and open our presents, but I was too busy watching for the
Goddamn snowplow.

December 25:
Merry M*&#@% F&@!#$& Christmas. 20 more inches of the f*%#@%* slop tonight. Snowed in. The idea of shoveling makes my blood boil. God, I hate the snow! Then the snowplow driver came by asking for a donation and I hit him over the head with my shovel. The wife says I have a bad attitude. I think she's a fricking idiot. If I have to watch "It's a Wonderful Life" one more time, I'm going to
stuff her into the microwave.

December 26:
Still snowed in. Why the hell did I ever move here? It was all HER idea. She's really getting on my nerves.

December 27:
Temperature dropped to -30, and the pipes froze. Plumber came after 14 hours of waiting for him; he only charged me $1,400 to replace all my pipes.

December 28:
Warmed up to above -50. Still snowed in. The BITCH is driving me crazy!!!!!

December 29:
10 more inches. Bob says I have to shovel the roof or it could cave in. That's the silliest thing I ever heard. How dumb does he think I am?

December 30:
Roof caved in. I beat up the snow plow driver. He is now suing me for a million dollars; not for only the beating I gave him, but also for trying to shove the broken snow shovel up his ***. The wife went home to her mother. 9" predicted.

December 31:
I set fire to what's left of the house. No more shoveling.

January 8:
Feel so good. I just love those little white pills they keep giving me. Why am I tied to the bed?
Old 11-24-2008, 04:38 PM
SuperBike

i set fire to the house!!!!!

for nearly my whole life i have had to shovel snow. it is the worst job going. torture. of course my father never helped either. i dreaded that job. just horrible.

then last winter i came across my first snowblower. watching the blower through that snow through the air is like a dream come true! it cuts through the plow's pile at the end of the driveway like a hot knife through butter. of course i have been modifying it!!!