SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Everything Else (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/everything-else-31/)
-   -   Modern naked/semi naked bike opinions (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/everything-else-31/modern-naked-semi-naked-bike-opinions-35252/)

RickB 01-18-2019 10:00 AM

Modern naked/semi naked bike opinions

I am looking to possibly get a new ride in the near future as a SH replacement - anyone have opinions on or have ridden something along the lines of the 2018/19 Aprilia Tuono 1100 V4 RR, Ducati Supersport S or Monster, Triumph Speed triple, KTM Duke, or other naked models that are not inline 4s LOL! I love my '02 Superhawk that I've owned since new and would buy another if they still made them and added some updated features... Kinda leaning towards the Tuono but I do like the ss swingarms bikes as well.

Thoughts?

Wolverine 01-19-2019 05:40 AM

I can share some input. A friend I ride with has a well sorted Tuono. Granted, when I rode it it still had the carbon wheels but I was very please. The engine was superb, suspension was much much better than my Hawk ever was. Ergo's were good. Only draw back I had was a lack of wind protection. We've chatted at length about the Rotax engines. They are very reliable pieces. Aprilia's finish and weld quality is a work of art, as is Ducati. I've been enjoying my Multistrada for several seasons now. If you're in the 7/8k range and don't mind the looks, give one a ride. They are very similar to our Hawks. Big twin partially exposed with a little silver chin fairing. Crazy comfortable and sporty as hell.
I've wanted to demo a SuperSport S. Very nice machines but my wife wouldn't like the accommodations.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sup...e4d37f5f9f.jpg

I also had a quick ride on a KToom SuperDukeR. Let me tell you... if you even have that bike on your radar, go ride one. UN-EFFING-REAL engine. It pulls like an electric locomotive. Gobbs and gobbs of torque at the ready, right off idle! I installed a cat delete pipe on it.

bigborer 01-19-2019 09:22 AM

You need to give more details, such as how and where you want to use it, willing to mod it or not, your height, etc.

First gears most likely have the power limited, and the upper gears mean too much wind - about 180km/155miles on a day with no wind is the fastest you ride a naked bike without it getting dangerous (front unloading too much) and without needing to hold on the bars like crazy, so any +1000cc engine on a late model naked bike will just never get even close to being properly used.

JM2C- apart from looking like a poser I just see no point in a vehicle that will never get full throttle.

xeris 01-19-2019 10:49 AM

Not exactly answering the question, but my $.02 is a Street Triple or a 790 Duke.
A Ducati Hyperstrada is strong candidate on my replace the SH list. Having a bit more protection. Have not ridden one, or that mater the others. Doing so might change my perception. I don't need the extra weight, power, cost, etc. that a liter+ bike has. Also a naked is more fatiguing for long days and less than perfect weather.
Hoping that Triumph and KTM make sport touring versions of those two. I'll be surprised if that ever happens.
Made the mistake of riding a friend's '05 Tuono. Really puts the SH in perspective, clunky, and crude by comparison. He has it for sale at a very good price (I think) and it's pristine.

RickB 01-20-2019 06:19 PM

Good points, I'm 6ft 180 # and I mostly ride the less developed suburban Western New York where we have some nice twisties and places for more spirited riding ;) I rode my '92 Nighthawk 750 for years and the wind wasn't much of problem but then it wasn't my Superhawk or litre+ beast. More shopping for me and thanks for the input. I do love the look of the '18/'19 Tuono though!

bigborer 01-21-2019 07:36 AM

In this case, I'd give a +1 to what xeris recommended. I'd also look at an MT09 (or the better looking XSR900) but they'd likely need a bit of suspension work to mach the triumph and ktm...

finepooch 01-21-2019 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by RickB (Post 408906)
I am looking to possibly get a new ride in the near future as a SH replacement - anyone have opinions on or have ridden something along the lines of the 2018/19 Aprilia Tuono 1100 V4 RR, Ducati Supersport S or Monster, Triumph Speed triple, KTM Duke, or other naked models that are not inline 4s LOL! I love my '02 Superhawk that I've owned since new and would buy another if they still made them and added some updated features... Kinda leaning towards the Tuono but I do like the ss swingarms bikes as well.

Thoughts?

it is a shame the vtr was discontinued. I too much prefer the vtwin. i4 = boring characterless machines. I believe the tuono is now a vfour, and I would be interested in trying one. the only vfour I tried was a vfr and it seemed to miss the mark for me.
I had two aprilias, an rxv550 endure/sumo and mxv450 motocross. they were sexy machines with power and performance. I suspect the tuono would have those same characteristics. I have three ducatis, a 1098, 750ss and as of one week ago a monster s4r. the ducatis are very nice bikes, they too push the right buttons. I also have two ktm 500s for the dirt, they are good bikes.
good luck

Cadbury64 01-21-2019 07:09 PM

I recently took a ride on the Yamaha Tracer 900 and also (for S&G) the Niken leaning three wheeler. I think I've been spoiled by my three old Hondas (VTR, VFR800 and ST1100) as all three felt much smoother and easy to ride. The Tracer did have nice steering and great brakes and the engine had plenty of go, but I didn't really like the raspy feel/sound, and the seat reminded me of something off a bicycle. The riding position was nice and open, but the wind screen was poor with too much buffeting. Much as wanted to like it, I kept my wallet in my pocket. I'm told the GT version addresses some of those issues. I did like the cruise that was on the bike I rode.

The Niken was more comfy with a good riding position and seat, and it was easy to ride. The extra wheel didn't make a huge difference on the dry twisty roads I was on but maybe on a wet and slippery day it might. The Niken has great straight line stability and it was fun riding no-hands with the cruise on, on the freeway. The extra mass over the Tracer was quite noticeable.

xeris 01-22-2019 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by bigborer (Post 408923)
In this case, I'd give a +1 to what xeris recommended. I'd also look at an MT09 (or the better looking XSR900) but they'd likely need a bit of suspension work to mach the triumph and ktm...

The FJ09 GT would be something to look at also. Bigger and heaver than my ideal. Have not ridden one, but a lot of bike for the money. Maybe in a couple of years the price on used ones will make it an easy choice.

bigborer 01-22-2019 07:50 AM

Wouldn't be concerned with the weight of a tracer 900- though I haven't ridden one it's around the same or lighter than a 650 Vstorm and the Vstrom to me felt about the same as the VTR1000 (which it's self is noticeable heavier than a 600rr or similar).
Only concern I'd have about the tracer is the high speed stability- I've heard some complaining that it gets very sketchy after 180kmh on the original version. But the GT is the latest version and has different suspension and geometry, so they might have corrected that.

NHSH 01-22-2019 07:40 PM

My friend owns a new Tuono and he rides it hard, it is an awesome bike with lots of power and really stable platform for road and track, you really have to make up your mind first on the riding position and style of riding, if you leaning towards upright, adventure or sporty? Many of them are good choices, all depends... Ducati, Aprilia and KTM are better in style and performance, but also more expensive to maintain.

RickB 01-28-2019 04:34 PM

Yeah, the Tuono sure is a great looking machine! I wish the VTR was still produced but with some of the more modern technology, I would get another one in a heartbeat.

killer5280 01-29-2019 11:16 PM

It's nowhere near new, but it sure does look nice. And fun!

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/m...801942170.html

xeris 02-02-2019 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by killer5280 (Post 409002)
It's nowhere near new, but it sure does look nice. And fun!

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/m...801942170.html

Hmmm, I wish I was ready to buy as a friend of mine also has an '05 Tuono for sale. Said he'd sell it to me for less than 4K, IIRC he said $3500. Equal to this one in condition and has had a reflash of the ECU by some tuining wizard in Italy. The guy keeps it in his living room.

RickB 02-15-2019 02:46 PM

That's devotion to your bike! I have heard of folks that do this though...