Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

Has anyone participated in the LA Barstow to Vegas Enduro?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 01:43 AM
Superstock

Squid is on a distinguished road
Has anyone participated in the LA Barstow to Vegas Enduro?

I am going to try and compete in next years LAB2V enduro with a buddy and am looking for tips on how to prep the bike (CRF450R's) and what spairs should be in the truck. Being stationed in WA I can plate a bike from there and I am thinking about registering that bike in the race. The bikes will be OEM stock. Any help would be appriciated. -Thanks-
Old 09-12-2012, 03:52 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
BtoV has not been a race in years, it is a well organized ride now... long ride, but a ride. I last ran it in 1986 when it was still a desert race, with mass start.

Still prep will be the same.... and guys have done everything from just gas and oil ...to spare wheels, engines and such like it was the Baja 1000.

We did fuel, air cleaners pre oiled in bags, tubes, one wheel set, oil, chain lube at each stop and called it good...

Bike was a two strokes so prep for them is a little different then for your CRF450.

Besides fresh chain, sprockets, tires, tubes.. all things tight, wheel bearings good, valves checked and no signs of moving in the last few checks. Suspension set for the terrain and type of ride your planning on.. What is "a little harsh" on that 2 hour ride or hair scramble now will wipe you out on a ride like BtoV
Old 09-12-2012, 04:14 AM
Superstock

Awesome Thanks for the advise. Yeah, I did see I used the word "Race" in there... Sorry about that, I first wanted to do it back in 1998 but since then I agree its more of a meet, but none the less I still want to do it. One thing is what about gas stops? we will both have desert tanks but Im not sure mileage and where there is to get fuel. I have been doing research on line the last 2 days but I figured first person info would be good. I know 2's burn fuel more than 4's, atleast that has been my experiance, but what did you do for extra fuel?
Old 09-12-2012, 04:25 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Squid
Awesome Thanks for the advise. Yeah, I did see I used the word "Race" in there... Sorry about that, I first wanted to do it back in 1998 but since then I agree its more of a meet, but none the less I still want to do it. One thing is what about gas stops? we will both have desert tanks but Im not sure mileage and where there is to get fuel. I have been doing research on line the last 2 days but I figured first person info would be good. I know 2's burn fuel more than 4's, atleast that has been my experiance, but what did you do for extra fuel?
I wish i could help with the gas question... but my info is dated and well, it was simple back then,, there were no places to get gas, you brought your own and stashed it it if you were one of the little guys with no support, or had it waiting for you with full support teams..... there were some options in between... But no gas stations for sure.
From the D37 LAB2V page
" You must be able to go 85 miles before fuel"
Can you not get 85 mi per tank at moderate pace?

Have you checked out the Distric 37 message board?
Dual Sport - District 37 Message Board

Last edited by E.Marquez; 09-12-2012 at 04:30 AM.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:22 AM
Superstock

Yeah, I glanced at it before going to work this morning, but I guess I read deeper into it. I figure that I will start collectiong parts now and save for a good GPS unit even though they have roll charts. Honestly I dont even have the bike yet. Ill probably pick one up when I get home from deployment. Thanks again for your help E.Marquez.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:43 PM
Back Marker

superbeater is on a distinguished road
I rode that race a couple times around the same time as E Marquez. Heavy duty tubes, skid plate, zip ties where the spokes cross. We handled gas by paying a company that set up a pit with your gas. I carried spare gas on the handlebars cross bar. Had a CR250.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:58 PM
Superstock

Nice. Started training yeterday, Lots of legs and core... With out being able to get out there and ride the desert, is there anything you guys would recomend to start getting my body in shape... other than diet, I have that down.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:17 PM
Squid

justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
@squid did you do it?

Hey Squid, did you end up doing the race? I have a crf450r stock and was wanting to do it, but worried about how it would hold up with overheating, oil/ maitainence etc