SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Everything Else (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/everything-else-31/)
-   -   Beef Jerky (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/everything-else-31/beef-jerky-32094/)

CruxGNZ 05-24-2014 12:08 PM

Beef Jerky

Like beef jerky? Then read on.

My Dad & I went for a ride up to Richfield, WI. There was a new business that opened up called, Beef Jerky Outlet. When we walked in, I was shocked at the selection of meats and flavors! It was overwhelming. They had venison, turkey, alligator and kangaroo to name but a few. What was awesome, is you can try each flavor before you buy it!

They also had different types of peanut butter and a few candies. They also had thier seasonings to make your own beef jerky with.

I ended up getting Jalepeno Smoky Mountain Beef Jerky. For me, it was a perfect blend of flavor and hotness. I could eat a 4 oz. bag for a meal :p I also got some Blackberry Brandy chocolates (has a liquid center) and some Cajun deep fried peanuts.

If any of you guys are meat/jerky lovers, check this place out.
Beef Jerky Outlet (online store isn't open yet)

I don't know the owners (the chick working at the Richfield store is hot!). This place was just something cool I wanted to share.

EDIT: Some other locations HERE
If you want to order on the internet, then click here

captainchaos 05-24-2014 01:35 PM

That's awesome thanks for sharing. I hate that most of the stuff in the stores is loaded with MSG and other crap and really isn't that good to begin with. My brother has brought back some fantastic jerky from the gun shows because it's homemade. It's just SO expensive but like everything I guess you get what you pay for.

While on the subject of meats if a great German butcher sounds good be sure to check out karlehmer.com if you don't live in the northeast and have one near you. If you're unfortunate enough foodwise to live in a place like I do where most of the food sucks they mail order. If you're used to eating Boars Head from the grocery store this stuff is on another level. Had one near me in Jersey growing up and it was always a feast when my mom would take me there.

NZSpokes 05-24-2014 01:59 PM

Whats Beef Jerky for us non-Americans?

CrickiKaze 05-24-2014 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by NZSpokes (Post 373408)
Whats Beef Jerky for us non-Americans?

dried/dehydrated meat

NZSpokes 05-24-2014 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by CrickiKaze (Post 373411)
dried/dehydrated meat

Like old meat?:shock:

smokinjoe73 05-24-2014 08:08 PM

Like old, leathery dried meat but super delicious and fun to eat. Cowboys carried it on the wild trail and it sustained pioneers through the winters.

That is an awesome find. Like finding brigadoon (in a smaller, saltier, chewier way). Hope you stashed some under your seat just in case.

CruxGNZ 05-25-2014 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 373422)
Like old, leathery dried meat but super delicious and fun to eat. Cowboys carried it on the wild trail and it sustained pioneers through the winters.

That is an awesome find. Like finding brigadoon (in a smaller, saltier, chewier way). Hope you stashed some under your seat just in case.

Yes, dried delicious meat. It's a way of preserving the meat. Depending on the cut of meat you start with, the jerky can be very easy to eat or very, very chewy. I like mine slightly on the chewy side, so it lasts longer.

Funny you mentioned putting some under the seat. I double baggy'd (freezer zip-lock) some jerky and put it right next to my MSR fuel bottle under my seat. Now I have tools, food and gas. Everything I should need if I'm stuck on the side of the road.

EDIT: My wife has intestinal issues and saw the Gluten Free stuff on Karl's website. She wants to order a bunch of stuff from them now :)

smokinjoe73 05-25-2014 01:38 PM

Side of the road? I guess, but I was more thinking of prepping for the zombie appocolyse.

Jerky has gluten?

VTR1000F 05-25-2014 01:45 PM

Crux, I'd lose the tools and gas and triple up on the jerky.

captainchaos 05-25-2014 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 373439)
Jerky has gluten?

Plain lean meat doesn't but if it's been marinated in soy or teriyaki or whatever else it will.

tillyhawkrider 05-26-2014 01:03 AM

The pioneers and early explorers learned the method of drying meat from the indians. They
would cut the fresh meat into thin strips cover it well with salt and/or pepper then hang it up to air dry in the sun. What we call jerky was formerly known as pimmacin (I believe that spelling is correct). You can let it dry to whatever degree you like, even to the extent of crispy critter. It will last a very long time if it is kept dry. If you dry it to the extreme point you can break it into smaller pieces to add to soup or stew when you are cooking, whether at home or camping and it really adds to the favor as it rehydrates. GOOD STUFF!

The Dragons Tail is in my back yard.

Jack Flash 05-26-2014 06:22 AM

Ahhhh yes. Beef jerky. Your heart and arteries will love you. ;O)