SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Everything Else (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/everything-else-31/)
-   -   Anyone as stupid as me ??? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/everything-else-31/anyone-stupid-me-32757/)

RoadManiac 12-11-2014 09:23 AM

Anyone as stupid as me ???

Just wondering if someone did this also

last year i had a puncture a really tiny (2mm) puncture on my gsxr but that tyre
was nearly new and quite expensive (dragonsupercorsa)
so instead of buying a new rear tire i just put a bicycle repair patch on with rubber glue on the inside of the tyre and its complety leak free and safe because even when it leaks it stays hard for about a day

E.Marquez 12-11-2014 10:22 AM

No

Just you

:p

dirty_! 12-11-2014 10:34 AM

Oh... my... word.

RoadManiac 12-11-2014 12:04 PM

its not like i am gonna try get as much miles out of it as possible
just a tyre to play around and very short trips to get some supplies and stuff at work

Wicky 12-11-2014 12:19 PM

Why not get it professionally plugged and sealed at a tire shop. They'll do the repair if the puncture is not too far off the centre tread for about 10-20 euros.

RoadManiac 12-11-2014 12:40 PM

in my mind thats even worse, because the make the hole bigger right ?
and btw they dont do that anymore here because of the risks
ive read so much about guys with good things to say about those umbrella plugs (and vice versa) or something else, but what i did is to save money not spend it :rolleyes:
not even gonna bother with balancing the tyre because it wont be long on their

Wolverine 12-11-2014 01:42 PM

I put a plug in the sidewall of my truck tire. It's been there for about 6 months now & no problems yet!

E.Marquez 12-11-2014 01:48 PM

To plug or not is an oil thread by another name.

Only one motorcycle tire manufacture has any recommendation other then outright forbidden. The one that does not state it that way, basically writes, do what you want but if it's damaged or you damage it by plugging your on your own.

Many have used plugs successfully , many have used plug patches successfully. I do on cars and trucks commonly, I don't on bikes unless it is to get home. Just a personal choice. If I was a rider who considered changing a tire a significant emotional event (time, money inconvenience) perhaps Id change my mind.

But for me, it's only happened a few times 38+ years of riding... and it's a 30 min job to put a new tire on in my garage...so just not a big deal.

dirty_! 12-11-2014 01:49 PM

I had a friend explain to me that motorcycle maintenance is equivalent to airplane maintenance. I'm not sure how you ride there are times were a sudden loss of air pressure would endanger my life or the life of my passenger. I say saving a few $ could cost you thousands down the road. Plug it, get it replace as soon as possible. just my opinion.

and YES, we are all equally stupid

Wolverine 12-11-2014 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by E.Marquez (Post 380983)
I do on cars and trucks commonly, I don't on bikes unless it is to get home. Just a personal choice.

Agree'd 100%. I wouldn't run a plug on the bike, an internal patch maybe. Have never been in the position to make the call. If it were a less than 500 mile tire, probably depending on the damage done. Personal call IMO.

smokinjoe73 12-11-2014 02:27 PM

Oh boy here we go.
1) As for sudden loss of air, that can happen every time you ride no matter how new your tire is or any other factor. The only way to avoid a flat is stay home.
2) You can for sure plug a tire. I have run plugs at ALL temps in all conditions for thousands of miles. That is 100% true. Any wacky stories otherwise I have heard were along the "my uncle once did this" lines. Fifth hand folklore.

The way you did it was not good. Those are super wimpy patches and even I would not do that.

If you went to the trouble of getting inside the tire you shoudla put a mushroom plug with glue, They have a sharp steel point to push them through then you cut off the excess. Yes it enlarges the hole slightly but its permanent and I have never seen one fail (yes everything can fail but so can a tire).

For what you have get a tire plug kit and plug it from the outside. (watch some utube vids if you don't know how. )

Another way to do it is with a full innertube but that causes a whole slew of other issues, mainly that you cant plug the next screwhole you get. (when not if)

A well installed self vulcanizing plug from an auto store will easily outlive the tire.

Carry on...

smokinjoe73 12-11-2014 02:29 PM

Oh and for the record I am much stupider than you, but I do know about tire plugs.

1971allchaos 12-11-2014 07:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Being that car tires flex when you go around a curve.. Motorcycle ""FLEX"" when you go into a curve. Beside the FACT , that there is NO flat spots in a motorcycle , (like in a car tire) Pictured are umbrella plugs , that have been used..

smokinjoe73 12-11-2014 07:36 PM

Yeah chaos, that's what I meant by mushroom plugs. Those are best but you cant always get the tire off so regular plugs are the quick choice.

rick 12-11-2014 07:42 PM

I'd plug and ride a tire till the treads wear out as long as the puncture is not near a edge.

I have experienced a sudden loss of air on the freeway on the front tire ( that did not have a plug.) Managed to slow to a stop on the shoulder. It was on a Hawk Gt; It being a light bike helped. Plugged that tire and rode it till the treads wore out.

I do not recommend anyone else plug/ no plug. You have to make that choice yourself. Most plug failures appears to be from improper installation. Some injuries simply cannot be plugged safely..

smokinjoe73 12-11-2014 09:41 PM

Oh yeah, cant stop this thread.

I had a tire blow coming off the Brooklyn bridge at 430am in 28*. Fortunately I slowed from 70 t0 60 and then hit a "pothole" about a foot deep. Broke the front wheel and of course blew the tire instantly.

I was thanking God I didn't crash and only had a dozen blocks to push the bike home. Although pushing a bike with a broken wheel and flat tire sure is a workout.

Jack Flash 12-12-2014 07:25 AM

As Joe has previously mentioned, use a plug, you'll be fine. I've plugged many tires back in the day, and have seen all my customers come back to replace their tires. Not because the plug failed, but because they were now due for fresh rubber.

What's stupid is not the plug. It's some of the folks on this forum that show pics of their tires worn all the way out to the steel braids. And they're proud of it....:O|

smokinjoe73 12-12-2014 07:43 AM

Haha Flash, I didn't even think of that. You are right. Even I wouldn't do that unless I was needed to get the antidote of a disease to the next town.

RoadManiac 12-12-2014 09:48 AM

like this jack flash https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/...82&oe=550CC738
and yes this is my bike and tyre :rolleyes:
and as punishment the braids cut the inside of my hands when changing tyre, ah well just use left :p

NZSpokes 12-12-2014 10:26 AM

Next question, Who rides without sealed valve caps?

smokinjoe73 12-12-2014 12:26 PM

Hey road maniac, it takes a very big person to own up to such foolish behavior. I cant imagine how unsafe that bike was or how bad it handled and I have ridden in 6 inches of snow.

I would recommend against doing that again. Its false economy. You have to ride smart enough to ride another day.

VTR1000F 12-12-2014 04:14 PM

True dat smokin "even I wouldn't do that" joe73.

RoadManiac, those are the worst chicken strips I've ever seen.

RoadManiac 12-13-2014 05:37 AM

did you guys think i just normally wear that tyre out to this ?
dat would be crazy, al that rubber is now on the street where i work :rolleyes:
boss didnt like it that much but he was late yet again and that tyre had to go :lol:

smokinjoe73 12-13-2014 08:24 AM

Hmmm. Well it sounds like you are full of quality decisions. Did you flip him the bird as you did it?

And if you really wanted to help this thread you woulda done it with a few plugs in the tire.

Anyway. Not like we didn't expect it. I mean we can see your screen name right?

Just next time put some tape over the superhawk logo before you do such a stunt.

Killemall 12-13-2014 10:11 AM

He was just trying to make the point that it's dumb wearing the tire down like that. Take a chill pill guys.

RoadManiac 12-13-2014 02:14 PM

smokinjoe
you might have taken my comment a bit to seriously if youre one of those guys who frown up on burnouts and think their childish thats youre opinion
but my working relation with my boss is differant then you might have
he's about the same age as i and i helped built up the company and where always getting the blood under each other nails all of us because basicly where all equal and friends, but its his money in the company so he is my boss if you wil, and usually its work hard play hard but that morning it was play hard work hard :rolleyes:
and my screen name yes, ive been on message boards since my scooter days and thats my name on many other forums so yeah i just stuck with it but i admit i live up to my name on occasion

smokinjoe73 12-13-2014 02:55 PM

Maniac, I know its hard to tell in text form but I am kidding 99% of the time. I am actually glad you didn't ride the tire to that condition. I do think burnouts are dumb but I think most people and even most bikers do. (except drunken Harley guys at bike events).

Wheelies can be dumb too but at least are fun & not overtly offensive. Burnouts really do nothing but say F--- You to the world in general so are just bad for motorcycling in general.

Not mad about it. Just my opinion.

VTR1000F 12-13-2014 03:14 PM

I was serious.

RoadManiac 12-14-2014 02:02 PM

BTW Smokinjoe based on your screen name you would love to do burnouts :rolleyes:

or are you smoking diffirent things ?? like we do here in Holland :cool:

and if you can flip somebody off while doing a burnout.... respect for him

smokinjoe73 12-14-2014 04:25 PM

Yes maniac, very clever. Shockingly I've heard that one. It was more from the smokinjoe's Honda racing team and that I had the cbr600 so wore a lot of the stuff. Then started customizing my leathers with smokinjoe as well as all my bikes.

Oh and I guess because my name really is Joe it all fit so nicely. I don't actually smoke anything but the competition hopefully, but not always.

Didn't make sense to have a slow sounding nickname.