SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Everything Else (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/everything-else-31/)
-   -   anyone on here have a ford truck with the 7.3L diesel? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/everything-else-31/anyone-here-have-ford-truck-7-3l-diesel-31402/)

j shizzy wizzy 11-25-2013 10:24 AM

anyone on here have a ford truck with the 7.3L diesel?

I just bought a sweet ford 250 with the 7.3L! its awesome! it was well taken care of and has some mods. i just wanted to put a feeler out there to see if anyone has some experience with this engine. I'm new to diesel and might have some questions from time to time. ive been to other diesel specific forums but they all suck in comparison to our community here! as always thanks everyone!

E.Marquez 11-25-2013 10:40 AM

Had a 1999 F350 CC, LB 4x4 with a 7.3 that had 256,000 miles on it when sold..Have a 2003 (last year of the 7.3) with more then 163,000 miles on it now...

Most of those mikes towing a 36 ft Toy hauler that puts us at or over GVW when loaded for a trip.

One issue common to the 7.3 is cavitation in the cooling system... due to poor or neglected cooling system maintenance, flush and proper coolant use. the result is pin hole leaks in the cylinder ..mostly #8. If you have the motor scanned at a shop,, ask them to check for a contribution code..

Another common issue is glow plug relay failure.. cheap easy fix....and fuel bowl leak at the drain valve...

On our 2003... tranny flush new filter and fluid every 30k.. oil and filter every 5k unless it's easy hiway miles then take it to 7K. Cooling system flush and refil once every other year.

Only part failures have been 1 Alternator, 1 glow plug relay, one fuel filter drain o ring leak, shocks worn out at 60k

sailorjerry 11-25-2013 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by j shizzy wizzy (Post 365557)
I just bought a sweet ford 250 with the 7.3L! its awesome! it was well taken care of and has some mods. i just wanted to put a feeler out there to see if anyone has some experience with this engine. I'm new to diesel and might have some questions from time to time. ive been to other diesel specific forums but they all suck in comparison to our community here! as always thanks everyone!

Well you just happen to be in luck.... I am a ford diesel mechanic and if you have any questions, are in need of a wiring diagram, or something from the service manual I would be more than happy to give you a hand. Just shoot me a PM.

Cody.

P.S. That does go for you too Eric.

insulinboy 11-25-2013 11:14 AM

Ford has done 2 very stupid things in what I consider recent history, the first was doing away with the 300 straight 6, argueably one of the best gas burners ever created (only second to the chevy 350 v8) and the second was to do away with the 7.3l diesel, the best non comercial designed diesel ever produced. And this coming from a die hard chevy fan. I would buy a ford truck only if it were a 5spd and had one of those two engines.

You sir made a solid purchase that will live forever with nothing more than routine maintenence

sailorjerry 11-25-2013 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by insulinboy (Post 365563)
Ford has done 2 very stupid things in what I consider recent history, the first was doing away with the 300 straight 6, argueably one of the best gas burners ever created (only second to the chevy 350 v8) and the second was to do away with the 7.3l diesel, the best non comercial designed diesel ever produced. And this coming from a die hard chevy fan. I would buy a ford truck only if it were a 5spd and had one of those two engines.

You sir made a solid purchase that will live forever with nothing more than routine maintenence

Just so you know, FORD didnt do away with the 7.3L international did since they were the ones making the engine, and the reason they did was the federal EPA regulations changed in 2003 so vastly that they couldnt not make the 7.3L meet the requirements and were forced to design a new engine to meet them..... Key note here blame the government not your Ford or International.

Also the new 6.7L is the first Ford designed engine since the early 80's and has so far fallowed amazingly in the 7.3L foot steps in terms of reliability. Sorry for the rant.

98VTRrider 11-25-2013 08:34 PM

I've been checking the market on diesels also recently, with my preference being a Cummins I6 or the Ford 7.3. I have a thing for inline 6 cylinders. The 7.3 has a good reputation though. My friends father had one he ran very hard, in his words "I did more burnouts in that truck than any other cars put together". His had over 500,000 miles with the most involved work being changing the injectors a few times.

j shizzy wizzy 11-28-2013 10:53 PM

thanks for the info gents! i will certainly call upon you later. everyone i talk to loves the 7.3L