SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Everything Else (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/everything-else-31/)
-   -   38* of sleety hard rain (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/everything-else-31/38%2A-sleety-hard-rain-31409/)

smokinjoe73 11-26-2013 06:14 PM

38* of sleety hard rain

You really never appreciate how warm & cozy your house is til you lanesplit you way through Manhattan then Queens through 38* of downpouring sleet/ice/rain.

Seems like every nutty broad on the planet is out trying to drive in this slop too. Crazy holiday traffic.

Thank God for home dry home.

RWhisen 11-29-2013 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 365640)
You really never appreciate how warm & cozy your house is til you lanesplit you way through Manhattan then Queens through 38* of downpouring sleet/ice/rain.

Seems like every nutty broad on the planet is out trying to drive in this slop too. Crazy holiday traffic.

OK I'll bite on this.......

I didn't think splitting lanes was legal in NJ.

smokinjoe73 11-29-2013 06:07 AM

Joisey? Probly not. I rarely go there.

But if you have ever seen Manhattan traffic, there is little in the way of lanes even marked, and those cabbies dont bother with lanes. So it becomes a kind of constant merge/unmerge.

RWhisen 11-29-2013 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 365745)
Joisey? Probly not. I rarely go there.

But if you have ever seen Manhattan traffic, there is little in the way of lanes even marked, and those cabbies dont bother with lanes. So it becomes a kind of constant merge/unmerge.

Likewise I don't believe it is legal there either.

RobertLever 11-30-2013 07:21 AM

Sounds gruesome. Be careful out there.
I recall there were many nice twisty roads out by Parsippany in Joisey. Of course you have to run the Newark gauntlet to get there.

smokinjoe73 11-30-2013 08:14 AM

Whisen if you obey all traffic laws on a sportbike, you are for sure the only guy to ever accomplish such a feat in the history of motorcycling.

I have not seen a bike go one block without violating some possible statute.

After 275,000 NYC miles, I do it the safe way.

RWhisen 11-30-2013 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 365764)
Whisen if you obey all traffic laws on a sportbike, you are for sure the only guy to ever accomplish such a feat in the history of motorcycling.

Laws don't apply to you? This is EXACTLY the attitude that created all the hullabaloo up there to begin with. I'm sure all the clowns who were cutting in and out of traffic, riding on sidewalks and terrorizing people in cars were doing it the "safe way" too.

I figured all of the riders in NYC would be on their best behavior with the crackdown against sportbike riders and swarms of marauding Range Rovers.

smokinjoe73 11-30-2013 08:46 PM

So if someone utubes some Texas criminals I can assume all Texans are criminals?

Very intelligent generalization.

NHSH 11-30-2013 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by RWhisen (Post 365771)
Laws don't apply to you? This is EXACTLY the attitude that created all the hullabaloo up there to begin with. I'm sure all the clowns who were cutting in and out of traffic, riding on sidewalks and terrorizing people in cars were doing it the "safe way" too.

I figured all of the riders in NYC would be on their best behavior with the crackdown against sportbike riders and swarms of marauding Range Rovers.

I don't think Joe ever associated himself with the group of numbnuts and the SUV incident.
I got to tel you one thing though, if you lived in NYC and used your bike as your commute, trust me when I say, if you going to ride by the rules, you will not survive long, cause no one else drive by the rules.

RWhisen 12-01-2013 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by NHSH (Post 365785)
I don't think Joe ever associated himself with the group of numbnuts and the SUV incident.
I got to tel you one thing though, if you lived in NYC and used your bike as your commute, trust me when I say, if you going to ride by the rules, you will not survive long, cause no one else drive by the rules.

I never said he associated himself with that group, I said he had the same attitude that laws didn't apply when it's done in a "safe way".

smokinjoe73 12-01-2013 12:07 PM

Really? You've never met me yet conclude I have anything in common with street thugs. You are sounding dumber by the post. Keep it up.

Are you even reading these? Do you even comprehend how many CITY miles I have ridden in 25yrs in rain snow etc? Thats not open road hayseed.

This thread was merely to post about awful weather. To compare me to criminals based on where I live is really insulting.

Maybe think a bit more before posting up slander about a fellow hawker.

insulinboy 12-01-2013 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 365799)
To compare me to criminals based on where I live is really insulting.

Not to keep it going, but the way I read it it has nothing to do with where you live but more the attitude you're portraying. I know a few guys who yes are always obeying the traffic laws on a sportbike. Its not as uncommon as you think. Yes I used to live in upstate NY (and was a year round rider) and yes I have had to travel through the city on my bike more times than I would have cared too.

I agree that if you want to stay alive In NYC there are a few laws unfortunately that you do have to brake (lane splitting being one. Safest place to be at a stop is between two cars, otherwise a car in another lane will see empty space and gun it into said empty space and never know there is a motorcycle there until after the rider is under the hood)

but this comment

hisen if you obey all traffic laws on a sportbike, you are for sure the only guy to ever accomplish such a feat in the history of motorcycling.

Is no better than one saying that you are just the same as someone else because of where you live. You are saying that everyone who rides a sportbike brakes the law and that's just not the case. There are places you can ride legally in the states and be perfectly safe.

I can see error on both sides of the fence as well as some error in just the way words are read on a computer screen that may not have been read in the way that the Ops had originally posted them.

On topic, I don't miss the days I had to take the bike out in sleet and snow, and am very much grateful to be in the south now where it only happens one or two days a year, unless its a particularly bad year. There have been a few week long blizzards in this area in years past

smokinjoe73 12-01-2013 01:42 PM

Dude, with all respect, upstade NY is alot like Idaho. (nothing against either place). My parent live in Buffalo.

Read my post closely. Manhattan, at night, 38* of rain about to turn to snow. Thanksgiving traffic of out of town nutters. Accidents all over.

I promise that no matter what stories you guys tell, in that situation, with cars almost running over you feet in stopped traffic, you would go around zigzagged snarled traffic.

If you get hit, the cops will not come rescue you, and it will be hours before you move from that spot even if you needed an ambulance.

I dont see where you guys can derive any criminal disreguard for law here.

Other good people in the world live in very different situations to you. Your opinions are specific to your environments. That is ethnocentricity.

Hate to see what you guys would think if you saw how billions of 3rd worlders lived. Maybe be thankful for how cushy your life is and dont judge quite so much.

And call me when you get near as many city miles.....Your tune might change.

insulinboy 12-01-2013 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 365803)
Dude, with all respect, upstade NY is alot like Idaho. (nothing against either place). My parent live in Buffalo.

Read my post closely. Manhattan, at night, 38* of rain about to turn to snow. Thanksgiving traffic of out of town nutters. Accidents all over.

Read my post, I agree'd with you, and I have ridden in NYC. But that doesn't mean that all sporbike riders in all area's brake the law like you posted, nor do they need to to survive. that is the only part of your statement I dissagreed with

NHSH 12-01-2013 02:39 PM

Guy's please, don't make this a cat fight now "you said I said", after all we all here for the same reason and we all have the right to express ourselves here, just be a little more patient to each other.
This post was intended to be a rant, not an argument.
I see you all as a great contribution to this community that I truly enjoy, please just be that!

zxbud 12-01-2013 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 365640)

I quite agree; He is the One to be thanked!

RWhisen 12-01-2013 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 365799)
Really? You've never met me yet conclude I have anything in common with street thugs. You are sounding dumber by the post. Keep it up.

Are you even reading these? Do you even comprehend how many CITY miles I have ridden in 25yrs in rain snow etc? Thats not open road hayseed.

This thread was merely to post about awful weather. To compare me to criminals based on where I live is really insulting.

Just comparing the attitude. Hayseed? Really?

Yes I have a few more years of riding experience than you, not all open road either junior. Some of the places in the world (actually around it) that I have ridden motorcycles make NYC a beginner's training ground. Believe me, you aren't the only one that has ever ridden his scoot in poor weather, in the dark, while snowing with raging, inattentive or apathetic cagers all eager to take your 5 feet of space. You won't be the last either.

Serious attitude problem.