SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Classifieds (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/classifieds-32/)
-   -   WTB: VTR1000F Ohlins shock (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/classifieds-32/wtb-vtr1000f-ohlins-shock-22172/)

krongsak 04-11-2010 12:40 PM

WTB: VTR1000F Ohlins shock

Hello,

I am looking for a Ohlins rear shock for my superhawk. I have the OEM shock in case a swap is needed.
PM me if you have one available at a reasonable price

Thanks

stebbdt 04-11-2010 01:11 PM

Check out the modded f4i I have for sale in "bike and mod's have to go". never used at less than 50% of the cost.

superbeater 04-11-2010 04:26 PM

Check Ebay. There was one listed for $799 or best offer that had hydraulic preload adjusting, along with comp and rebound. the listing didn't mention the spring weight.

krongsak 04-11-2010 04:58 PM

Thanks for the heads up superbeater. I have seen that one and made an offer at what I thought was a reasonable price but it got rejected. Looking at the asking price for other items from that seller I doubt he is the reasonable kind

Stebbdt, thank you for your reply. I am still optimistic and hope I can put my hands on a Ohlins for around $500. I will keep your in mind shall reality proves me wrong :)

Thanks

mikstr 04-11-2010 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by superbeater (Post 261454)
Check Ebay. There was one listed for $799 or best offer that had hydraulic preload adjusting, along with comp and rebound. the listing didn't mention the spring weight.

The dude selling that shock has a bunch of (nice) items for sale. His pricing, however, leads me to think he is looking to set a record for longest lasting listings in eBay history....

ranchomice 04-11-2010 05:44 PM

I made three offers on the e-bay shock, none of which were considered. If it's not sprung for you, you'll spend more for a rebuild, keep that in mind. I believe he said that one is sprung for 160lb rider.

krongsak 04-11-2010 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by mikstr (Post 261459)
The dude selling that shock has a bunch of (nice) items for sale. His pricing, however, leads me to think he is looking to set a record for longest lasting listings in eBay history....

Definitely agreed on that one.
I offered $550 and the offer was automatically rejected. I am not willing to go higher than that on a used Ohlins unless it is a TT36 :)

residentg 04-11-2010 07:36 PM

I paid $650 for a Ohlins, same shock as the one one listed on ebay. Mine looks like new, came in the box. I bought it from a forum member which I am more comfortable with than an ebay seller. I sent it to Ohlins to have a new spring put on it for $89, labor is free. Stock spring is 160lbs. It needed a seal so I am having them do that too, still waiting for that cost estimate. Just thought you would like a point of reference. From what I have read here, the JD F4i modded shock is pretty good. I was going to go that route until the Ohlins popped up. I always wanted an Ohlins but never had the cash for one. Once you hit 50, you start to do stupid things. The stock shock is pretty bad. JB

captainchaos 04-11-2010 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by krongsak (Post 261461)
Definitely agreed on that one.
I offered $550 and the offer was automatically rejected. I am not willing to go higher than that on a used Ohlins unless it is a TT36 :)

Yeah that guy's on something...he want's new retail prices for used stuff. I think he just likes seeing the stuff listed on there at those prices.

krongsak 04-11-2010 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by residentg (Post 261470)
I paid $650 for a Ohlins, same shock as the one one listed on ebay. Mine looks like new, came in the box. I bought it from a forum member which [...] JB

I used to race a 2004 Gsxr 600 and spend all kinds of silly money on parts and upgrades. $550 is what I paid for a used Ohlins for that bike only two years after it went out, that's my reference point. I know there is far less Ohlins for VTR on the market, but the fact the bike launched over 10 years ago should make up for it...at least I like to think so.
I commute on VTR everyday, upgraded the fork with hyperpro springs but can no longer cope with the stock shock :)

Thanks again for the information

dbog44 04-12-2010 08:05 PM

I've made 4 or 5 offers to that guy on ebay for almost a month straight. Not sure he wants to sell anything.

mikstr 04-13-2010 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by dbog44 (Post 261607)
I've made 4 or 5 offers to that guy on ebay for almost a month straight. Not sure he wants to sell anything.

I sent him a question a while back, took him about a month to reply..... thanks, but just keep your stuff dude

taskmasta 04-14-2010 12:09 AM

I got them for 650 with local pick up.

residentg 04-14-2010 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by taskmasta (Post 261831)
I got them for 650 with local pick up.

The Olins Shock? $650 is a good price. I needed a stiffer spring so I sent mine directly to Ohlins USA. $89 for the spring, free installation and inspection. As it was, I needed a new seal so they are installing it. I spoke to Jerry Wohlgemuth [jerry.wohlgemuth@ohlinsusa.com], 828-692-4525 ext. 313. Pretty good service I think, should have it back in the next couple of days. I can't wait! Did you do any work to your forks yet? JB

taskmasta 04-14-2010 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by residentg (Post 261832)
The Olins Shock? $650 is a good price. I needed a stiffer spring so I sent mine directly to Ohlins USA. $89 for the spring, free installation and inspection. As it was, I needed a new seal so they are installing it. I spoke to Jerry Wohlgemuth [jerry.wohlgemuth@ohlinsusa.com], 828-692-4525 ext. 313. Pretty good service I think, should have it back in the next couple of days. I can't wait! Did you do any work to your forks yet? JB

$89 is not bad. I'll have to give Jerry a call. Nothing done to the forks yet. Hahaha...trying to drop some weight before I do anything to them. LOL

krongsak 04-14-2010 11:15 AM

$89 is definitely a very decent price for spring + installation

Wicky 04-14-2010 12:35 PM

If it's any help apparently a Fireblade Ohlins can fit the Storm. I bought one from fleabay many moons ago and got round to fitting it whilst overhaulin my rear end.

All I needed were some suitably sized SS washers as spacers at the swingarm link end and viola, I've been riding for almost a year without any problems.

http://gallery.me.com/spaderunner/100172

lazn 04-14-2010 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Wicky (Post 261896)
If it's any help apparently a Fireblade Ohlins can fit the Storm. I bought one from fleabay many moons ago and got round to fitting it whilst overhaulin my rear end.

All I needed were some suitably sized SS washers as spacers at the swingarm link end and viola, I've been riding for almost a year without any problems.

http://gallery.me.com/spaderunner/100172

Which Fireblade?

Wicky 04-14-2010 02:52 PM

I can't find the ad but IIRC it was advertised here in the UK simply as a Ohlins Fireblade shock modified to fit the storm. As you can see it in the pic in the linked gallery it came with aluminium spacers - not quite the right width - but with the new ss spacers it soon fitted - height was correct (and adjustable) compared to stocker - so probably against all H&S rules I bolted it all back together and rode through the twistys into the sunset.

Bought it on the off chance without any guarantee, stored it for two years, and fitted it as it came (bar spacers) without refurbishment or checking or advice from Ohlins. Knowingly a gamble (whilst on a budget) but according to my bum it does the job.

residentg 04-20-2010 12:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have Staintune highmounts, stock pipes are lowmount. Ohlins suggests mounting the remote prelaod adjuster behind the right passanger peg. I found it better to mount it on the rear subframe bolt. You will need a longer bolt; M10-1.50x50, and you need to "flip" the preload adjuster on it's bracket.

Attachment 27471

smokinjoe73 04-20-2010 12:32 AM

I bought an ohlins spring off a forum for my wieght for $30 & it takes like maybe 15 minutes to install. I see springs that price all the time. All you do is spin up the preload & it pops right off. Lots of guys need diff rates so there are alot of springs around

taskmasta 04-20-2010 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by residentg (Post 262729)
I have Staintune highmounts, stock pipes are lowmount. Ohlins suggests mounting the remote prelaod adjuster behind the right passanger peg. I found it better to mount it on the rear subframe bolt. You will need a longer bolt; M10-1.50x50, and you need to "flip" the preload adjuster on it's bracket.

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/x...g/DSC03755.jpg

thanks...i'll probably do the same