SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Classifieds (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/classifieds-32/)
-   -   WTB: Stock tank. Anybody got a badly smashed one available? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/classifieds-32/wtb-stock-tank-anybody-got-badly-smashed-one-available-9823/)

Galaxieman 10-29-2006 05:06 AM

WTB: Stock tank. Anybody got a badly smashed one available?

Ok, before you call the men in white coats to cart me away, here's what I'm up to: I did the VFR tank mod, and then f-ed up. It started seeping fuel at the petcock to adapter plate junction, so I pulled everything apart to re-seal and use non-gas-permeable sealant this time. And apparently I tweaked something. All the bolts still lined up and tightened down fine, but it had stopped sealing between the tank and adapter plate. So Petcock to Adapter = fine, but now Adapter to Tank = Leak.

Fast forward past two new adapter plates, 2 new stock VFR gaskets, and at least 5 iterations of tank seal, epoxy, JB weld, you name it. Apparently when you tweak that seal surface and it isn't perfectly planar anymore, you're f-ed.

So I bought another stock tank, slapped the petcock on that, and have been riding ever since. However, I'm not finished with the VFR Mod. I'm looking for a pretty much mauled VTR tank, which I can surgically remove the bottom from, and cut the petcock mounting point off of. Then, after some grinding, hammering, and adjusting, I should have a piece I can weld in place of the VFR fuel pump hole. I'll have to cut the studs off the VFR tank, but if I'm getting the thing welded up, I don't really care about retro-fitting it, now do I?

Anybody out there got a smashed up tank you'd be willing to part with pretty cheap, or know of a junkyard that might have one?

marmaladedad 10-29-2006 08:40 AM

Yep. I've got one. In Red. The bottom of it is fine for you to rip apart, but the mounting tabs are a bit bent and the gas cap cannot be opened with a key (you'll have to pry the sucker off).

Galaxieman 10-29-2006 02:43 PM

PM sent

kai ju 10-29-2006 04:56 PM

I have a VFR tank on mine and have had no leak issues at the valve or the block off plate. ( See my "New Guy" page 3 thread for pics )
I used 3mm aluminium plate, using the VFR gasket and an imprint of the bottom of the fuel valve with the filter tube removed as a template.
When you cut the plate maske sure that the fuel hole is just big enough to let the filter screen through or the o-ring won't seal.
For the valve bolts I used shouldered bolts with aluminium/copper crush gaskets. The bolt holes should be slightly undersize for the shouldered portion of the bolt so that they have to be drawn through the plate.
Another option is to thread the plate and use fully threaded bolts, again with crush gaskets.
Both methods should result in a leak proof installation.
Kai Ju

superbling 11-05-2006 10:41 PM

The problem is probably simple (isn't that usually the case?).

You've malformed the large opening of the VFR tank. It's very, very thin metal and even trying to replace the stock vfr fuel pump will do it (don't ask me how I know as I own a vfr also). Take it apart (again) and look very closely at the oval opening. Chances are you'll see it's not perfectly flat all the way around. It has to be or even the honda gasket won't seal. This is a somewhat common condition.

Your leak will seep to the lowest point of now modded assembly which is, when mounted, the petcock thus leading you to your current conclusion.

BTDT