Well I suffered a CCT sudden failure

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 06:28 PM
The Hypno-Toad
Superstock
Superstock

Kendrick is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Well I suffered a CCT sudden failure

The bike started making a rattling noise on the freeway. I drove for a few minutes wondering what the noise was when it dawned on me. It was the dreaded ball bearings in a paint can CCT failure noise. I headed for the freeway exit ramp and as I slowed the bike stalled. When I tried the starter while still coasting in an effort to make it to city streets the engine would not turn. So...is this usually a total lose, or is it just hung up and could be repaired. I hate to say it but if it's a total lose this is my last envolvement with superhawks.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:20 PM
ReNoob
Squid

Sablotny is on a distinguished road
Sorry to hear that. No worse feeling than having your ride go down while riding it. How many miles on your bike? Have you verified that was the deal?
Old 09-17-2008, 09:28 PM
Squid

Streaky is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't say total loss.
Take the heads off and see what happened. I know it's a pain, but... worth the effort.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:55 AM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Streaky
I wouldn't say total loss.
Take the heads off and see what happened. I know it's a pain, but... worth the effort.

Instead of investing so much time into it, see which cylinder you can get to TDC. The cylinder that you cannot get to TDC is the culprit. Remove it, take some carb cleaner and shoot it down the intake and exhaust tract. Look on the combustion side to see who's leaking... those are your bent valves. Take it to your local shop, have them replace the bent valves. Order up some A.P.E. cct's and never worry about this again.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:05 AM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Cleveland is on a distinguished road
This may be of use to you.. https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=16159

member here selling an entire engine... low enough price to make it worht a look..
Old 09-18-2008, 06:01 AM
The Hypno-Toad
Superstock
Superstock

I'm not sure what I want to do yet. By the time I fix it the riding season will be over. Right now I'm more interested in unloading so I can get anything to ride the rest of the season. In my world riding is more important than the hawk.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:23 AM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
If you destroyed the engine, why is this your last involvement with superhawks? You know CCT failure was eminent if you've been on here for any amount of time, but you gambled on it. That makes as much sense as dumping your g/f because you got her pregnant after boinking her without protection.

There's a low mile engine for sale for $350 on here. You won't get squat for the bike trying to sell as is.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:06 AM
The Hypno-Toad
Superstock
Superstock

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
If you destroyed the engine, why is this your last involvement with superhawks? You know CCT failure was eminent if you've been on here for any amount of time, but you gambled on it. That makes as much sense as dumping your g/f because you got her pregnant after boinking her without protection.

There's a low mile engine for sale for $350 on here. You won't get squat for the bike trying to sell as is.
Your analogy makes no sense. The bike should have been engineered properly from the factory. In the two years I've had this bike I've had the R/R failure and now the CCT. As an engineer myself it does not make sense to have any devotion to a machine that requires fixing from the factory. Aside from that I haven't decided what to do with the bike.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:46 AM
Shredding Asphalt
Superstock

MisfitToy is on a distinguished road
you could always part it out if you need too. best thing to do if you have an inop vehical and want to get some sort of money back
Old 09-18-2008, 09:22 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Kendrick
Your analogy makes no sense. The bike should have been engineered properly from the factory. In the two years I've had this bike I've had the R/R failure and now the CCT. As an engineer myself it does not make sense to have any devotion to a machine that requires fixing from the factory. Aside from that I haven't decided what to do with the bike.

As an engineer, you should be able to see that the analogy is perfectly on point.

If it is a known possibility, the pregnancy or cct failure, and you don't take the necessary precautions to avoid the problem, pregnancy or cct failure, then it is a weak or lame move to get rid of it because the possible problem occurred.

You have over 200 posts on this bulletin board, so it should be safe to assume that you have spent an adequate amount of time on this bulletin board, and knew of the possible problems with the motorcycle that you currently own.

So in another analogy, if you had a child with a birth defect (known defect from the factory) would you not try to fix it?

Anyhow, good luck with your choice.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:27 AM
Back Marker

HawkRider98 is on a distinguished road
As an engineer you probalbly did your homework before purhcasing and should have known about the "factory defects" before purchasing. Yet you purchased anyway?
Old 09-18-2008, 09:44 AM
The Hypno-Toad
Superstock
Superstock

Wow, rough crowd. Actually i impulse bought the bike. I had read that many people had had no problems with the CCT. In light of that and never having heard any unexpected noises from the bike I did not worry about it. I didn't expect the thing to go from fine to broken in a split second.

Okay continue to post how I should have known better...
Old 09-18-2008, 10:02 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
Rough? perhaps.

Loyal? Definitely!

If you had stated originally that it was an impulse buy, and not gone the "engineer" route, probably would've been a whole different scenario.

My $.02 for what you should do: keep it, fix it, ride it. Unless you ride all year, your season is at the tail end isn't it?
Old 09-18-2008, 10:11 AM
Back Marker

runrowdy is on a distinguished road
What's with all these engineers lately? Shouldn't they be buying BMW's?
Old 09-18-2008, 10:19 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by runrowdy
Engineers, not managers they actually do something, and people who actually do something never get paid what they are worth, it's those sitting around telling them the wrong thing to do that get paid..
Old 09-18-2008, 10:25 AM
my e-penis is huge!!
Superstock
Superstock

SPRHK is an unknown quantity at this point
Rule #1
If it has **** or wheels, it WILL give you problems

Rule #2
If it is something mechanical, It can and will eventually break.

Just a little common sense.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:33 AM
Back Marker

runrowdy is on a distinguished road
LOL Rule #1 is sooo true and common sense has nothing to do with engineers
Old 09-18-2008, 10:36 AM
my e-penis is huge!!
Superstock
Superstock

AMEN brother!!!!
Old 09-18-2008, 10:39 AM
The Hypno-Toad
Superstock
Superstock

BMW's for cars, I prefer more affordable motorcycles as they are much easier to damage. Tip overs, crashes, etc. I've had my share. (Oh yeah and Jeeps for four wheel drive)

Well no matter what I do my season will practically be over before I get it sorted. Once I'm done feeling let down by my bike I'll take it apart and see what's wrong with it. I haven't done much research yet, but do I have to drop the engine if I need to change the valves? If I can leave the engine in for any repairs I'm far more inclined to do them.

And I was only a couple days away of being done working on all my vehicles...
Old 09-18-2008, 10:48 AM
Squid

1zeppfan is on a distinguished road
And I was only a couple days away of being done working on all my vehicles...

Taking up walking?
Old 09-18-2008, 11:03 AM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Cleveland is on a distinguished road
Wow, rough crowd. Actually i impulse bought the bike. I had read that many people had had no problems with the CCT. In light of that and never having heard any unexpected noises from the bike I did not worry about it. I didn't expect the thing to go from fine to broken in a split second.

Okay continue to post how I should have known better...
you got to remember this forums is full of people who are passionate about this particular bike...
Old 09-18-2008, 11:18 AM
Superstock

sassage is on a distinguished road
LOL Rule #1 is sooo true and common sense has nothing to do with engineers
hey, leave us engineers alone
Old 09-18-2008, 11:21 AM
Schnitzel
Squid

PHxS is on a distinguished road
I have the bumper sticker on my toolbox for all to see. As a mechanic, i've seen a lot of broken/problem items as well as plenty of stories.
Attached Thumbnails Well I suffered a CCT sudden failure-torw.jpg  
Old 09-18-2008, 11:34 AM
The Hypno-Toad
Superstock
Superstock

Originally Posted by sassage
hey, leave us engineers alone
Probably the first thing I learned as an engineer is not to bother defending myself. Just ignore them and it will get old after a while. Engineering the most useful and most made fun of profession.

Last edited by Kendrick; 09-18-2008 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:46 AM
Back Marker

Yardstick
What are you doing with just one bike anyway? Just buy something else to have fun with while the 'hawk is down. Once the 'hawk is back up and running well you have two bikes to choose from and a spare if one goes down again. Heck, I've got FOUR and I might be adding another this weekend. That'll be five if I can't sell my VTR or XR.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:59 AM
The Hypno-Toad
Superstock
Superstock

Originally Posted by Yardstick
What are you doing with just one bike anyway? Just buy something else to have fun with while the 'hawk is down. Once the 'hawk is back up and running well you have two bikes to choose from and a spare if one goes down again. Heck, I've got FOUR and I might be adding another this weekend. That'll be five if I can't sell my VTR or XR.
I know, don't think the tought didn't cross my mind last night. I'm running out of money and garage space though. I might pick up something cheap for the moment just so I don't lose the rest of the season, the problem is it has to be capable of making the 25 mile commute to work.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:31 PM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
How many miles on your 'Hawk?

I know, don't think the tought didn't cross my mind last night. I'm running out of money and garage space though. I might pick up something cheap for the moment just so I don't lose the rest of the season, the problem is it has to be capable of making the 25 mile commute to work.

I think what folks are saying is the first time you do any real maintenance on the engine like a valve check or at least by 20K miles some APE manual CCT's need to be on there. That seems to be the consensus of opinion that I've read. Or the first time you hear ANYTHING funny grab some clutch and kill it.

Now, I've got about 5K on an '03 with autos still on it so I'm not trying to rag ya'...

Any 125 or larger dual sport will do 25 miles no problem.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:36 PM
my e-penis is huge!!
Superstock
Superstock

Probably the first thing I learned as an engineer is not to bother defending myself. Just ignore them and it will get old after a while. Engineering the most useful and most made fun of profession.
Most of the engineers I have met are book smart and common sense stupid...........most of them, not all.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:47 PM
Squid

mfast1 is on a distinguished road
I get paid to fix engineer's lack of engineering. The bike is a good bike and worth fixing . But to each is own. good luck.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:55 PM
Back Marker

Yardstick
Originally Posted by mfast1
I get paid to fix engineer's lack of engineering. The bike is a good bike and worth fixing . But to each is own. good luck.
Curious what you mean by that dig exactly... being an engineer and all.

Engineers are not above making mistakes, but usually there are enough reviews and analyses performed prior to a production part that you rarely see the effects. Some will seem to slip through the cracks because you can't always predict the way the equipment will get abused.

Quick Reply: Well I suffered a CCT sudden failure