Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Starting trouble - engine seems stuck

Old 10-13-2016, 04:06 PM
Squid

hawking is on a distinguished road
Starting trouble - engine seems stuck

More and more often, my bike has trouble starting. I can get it started eventually, but it takes a while.

The starter relay and starter seem to be working, but the starter doesn't seem to have enough juice to turn the engine over easily. My battery is new and charged. I just cleaned the electrical connection on the starter.

The only method that seems to help start the bike is to put it in 6th gear, let the clutch out and roll the bike forward or backward so that the motor rotates (via rear wheel movement) into a less 'stuck' position where the starter has enough power to turn it over and start the bike.

I've searched and haven't found any posts about my 'engine being stuck' issue. Any ideas? Thanks!
Old 10-13-2016, 04:21 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
If that is the case, then it is either the battery or starter. Since your battery is brand new, then a starter rebuild is in your future. Or, you can get a new/used starter off of eBay.

Also, just out of curiosity, have you recently installed manual CCT's (Cam Chain Tensioners)? If they were set too tight, the starter will strain to turn the engine over.

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 10-14-2016 at 08:51 AM.
Old 10-23-2016, 03:05 PM
Squid

Thanks CruxGNZ. I'll inspect my starter soon here...

I installed manual CCT's when I got the bike about a year ago. I've done almost 6000 miles with the CCT's and don't think they've been too tight (probably a bit loose if anything).

I've been doing some carb work alongside troubleshooting the starting issue, and realized that I must have Inadvertently Relocated my Petcock Vacuum Line a while back (or just re-installed the line on the wrong petcock nipple based on where the PO had it). I'm going to rebuild my petcock (I think it's leaking), but wonder now if my bike could have been suffering from hydrolock this whole time to cause the stuck motor starting issue? Can PVLIR cause enough gas to be sucked into the rear cylinder to cause hydrolock?
Old 10-23-2016, 06:54 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

If it was hydrolocked, then when you roll started the bike, the engine would have done some serious damage.

For your engine to hydrolock, the petcock needs to fail alowing fuel to flow and the float valve inside the carb would need to fail. I remember this scenario happening to a member not very long ago.

If a cylinder was full of fuel, that fuel then seeps past the piston rings and contaminates the oil. Running an engine with fuel contaminated oil will eventually do damage to your engine.

The vacuum line goes on the back of the petcock.

From the information given, it sounds like your problem is still your starter.
Old 10-23-2016, 11:22 PM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Check the starter terminal under the rubber hood for corrosion (usually on UK bikes where salt is used on the winter roads this buggers it up - causing a drop in voltage and starter relay clicking away). Dab some vasaline under the rubber hood regularly to keep corrsion at bay. If it is badly damaged by water increasing past the fibre seals into the starter motor, an easy fix is to bung on the starter from any late nineties / early naughties Honda i.e. Hornet 600/900 less prone to corrosion as the starter sits out of harms way.

(I think it's leaking)
There should be is a rubber sheet wrapped on the petcock to divert gas from dropping directly on top of the hot engine - If it is leaking there should be signs of it visually and by smell - fix with a new diaphragm.

As mentioned check that the vacuum hose is correctly and securely attached horizontally and at the back of the petcock rather than pointing straight down on the drain spigot.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:35 AM
Squid

The petcock diaphragm was torn and I replaced it with a new one. Hoses are all hooked up right and the petcock doesn't leak anymore.

Wicky, I had previously cleaned the starter terminal, thanks.

Unfortunately, I found gas in the oil yesterday after going for a short test ride (I'll check for float stickage and refill oil once I'm reasonably confident that gas won't get back in it). The bike started up easily, idled smoothly for a few minutes, but then succumbed to idle drop and stalling. I could restart it no problem, but it would die again eventually. When I rode it, it ran ok at first, but then seemed to only run on one cylinder and stall out immediately when stopped. The rear cylinder and spark plug look pretty gunky like they've been running VERY rich. Seems like maybe the broken petcock and PVLIR were just dumping gas into the rear cylinder? I hope I haven't done any engine damage.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:21 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

PVLIR is just putting the vacuum line in the wrong spot on the petcock, hence the acronym.

Your petcock is vacuum operated. When the engine starts, a vacuum is placed on the diaphram in the petcock, thus alowing fuel to flow.

Now, if fuel is still getting into the rear cyclinder, then the float valve on the rear carb is the issue.

You fixed your petcock, but you still have an issue with the float valve. This can cause running issues, and when your bike is off, the fuel in the fuel lines between the carb and the petcock can drain into the cylinder. You'll need to pull your carbs. Visit Partzilla: OEM Motorcycle Parts, ATV Parts, Marine Parts for the carb parts you will need.

EDIT: Here you go. Part #23. If there is anything else you need for your motorcycle, may as well bundle it together.
http://www.partzilla.com/parts/searc...%29/parts.html

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 10-24-2016 at 01:43 PM.