Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Showa OEM shock rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 04:28 PM
COBB Member
Superstock

stebbdt is on a distinguished road
Understandable Jamie, thanks.

Stumpy, anyone take you up on those shocks, I sent ya a pm.
Old 08-15-2009, 05:54 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
DMr

Daugherty Motorsports

Success...
Installed Daugherty Motorsports Modified CBR600 Shock in the SuperHawk this morning.. Just came home from the first ride.. Very impressed.. Jamie,, Great work.
Sprung for my weight, Race Tech valve, shim stack per Jamie's black art. Nice adapter to fit the VTR... for the buy in price,, Great package.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:36 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Your positive feedback on this is huge! Not that I don't trust Jamie, it's just a huge deviation from what the rest of us paid to get the same stuff from a Penske at a thousand bux for the priviledge. Bravo you guys! This is what having the expertise and applying it to a significant problem is all about. Bringing that expertise to such a small group that can share in it is exceptional. You deserve every kudo for your efforts, Jamie! Bravo!
Old 08-16-2009, 05:37 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by TXSuperChicken
DMr

Daugherty Motorsports

Success...
Installed Daugherty Motorsports Modified CBR600 Shock in the SuperHawk this morning.. Just came home from the first ride.. Very impressed.. Jamie,, Great work.
Sprung for my weight, Race Tech valve, shim stack per Jamie's black art. Nice adapter to fit the VTR... for the buy in price,, Great package.
Yes, agree wholeheartedly. I've got the same set-up from JD and have been riding it for a month now, and it lacks nothing. Rode two-up yesterday: just turned a couple clicks of preload in and it was as smooth as silk. Once you ride it you find that it's not only a great addition, it's a necessity. Highly recommended. Thanks again JD>
Old 08-16-2009, 06:17 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
No problem fellas, I'm glad that I could help out!
Old 08-16-2009, 06:54 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
No problem fellas, I'm glad that I could help out!
well, we put our trust in you in terms of technical expertise and, in a sense put our lives on the line, and you came through with flying colors. It's obvious you take pride in what you do and this seems to be a dwindling quality with the ever increasing focus on the bottom line.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:48 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by nath981
well, we put our trust in you in terms of technical expertise and, in a sense put our lives on the line, and you came through with flying colors. It's obvious you take pride in what you do and this seems to be a dwindling quality with the ever increasing focus on the bottom line.

I really do enjoy this stuff and I'm glad that it shows. I particularly like how the menbers of this forum are always pushing for more and better - that brings out improvements in us all!
Old 08-17-2009, 07:19 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I really do enjoy this stuff and I'm glad that it shows. I particularly like how the menbers of this forum are always pushing for more and better - that brings out improvements in us all!
"I particularly like how the members of this forum are always pushing for more and better." As if you would be the first person to advocate lesser and weaker.

The stacks from Micky and your shock mod bring the ownership of a Superhawk to a new level. These mods put the bike in vogue with anything on the road. You didn't have to do it. I know it took a shitload of time but you did it anyway. That's what sport is all about. That you would share it with the rest of us is a brotherhood. I, for one, appreciate what you guys have done for my bike and for the others.

Kudos!

Last edited by nuhawk; 08-17-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:12 PM
Squid

bristunt is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nath981
Yes, agree wholeheartedly. I've got the same set-up from JD and have been riding it for a month now, and it lacks nothing. Rode two-up yesterday: just turned a couple clicks of preload in and it was as smooth as silk. Once you ride it you find that it's not only a great addition, it's a necessity. Highly recommended. Thanks again JD>
Could one of you guys that has the JD CBR600 shock installed post up a picture. I'd like to go down this road but I frequently change the preload to suit 2-up riding and would like to see how accessable the adjustment would be with this setup.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:26 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by bristunt
Could one of you guys that has the JD CBR600 shock installed post up a picture. I'd like to go down this road but I frequently change the preload to suit 2-up riding and would like to see how accessable the adjustment would be with this setup.

here's JD's pic. easy adjustmt with OEM tool kit.
http://www.daughertymotorsports.com/...hock_hose1.jpg
Old 08-17-2009, 08:35 PM
Squid

bristunt is on a distinguished road
isn't the heelguard in the way of getting the oem tool in there? The adjustment castle must be down close to the swingarm?
Old 08-17-2009, 08:50 PM
MotoGP

isn't the heelguard in the way of getting the oem tool in there? The adjustment castle must be down close to the swingarm?
I don't know because I rotated the footpegs around(1" back, 1 1/2" upward)so the heelguard is a bit different.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:29 AM
SuperBike

If you go back to page 2 of this thread you will see what the modification looks like on a CBR929 shock. Although the 929 shock doesn't work on the VTR, it should give you an idea. The preload adjustment is down low by the swingarm but is still accessible. It's not terribly easy but I don't think it's any worse than the stock shock.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:11 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
With the stock swingarm it's easy enough... Not much harder than the stock adjustment...

With a SP2 swingarm however it requires disassembly... Or a special tool... trying t make one that will work now...
Old 01-31-2010, 09:10 PM
Back Marker

Karbon is on a distinguished road
Ok guys, finally I was able to put together my prototype shock enough to get a few pictures of it. What is shown is just the replacement for the CBR's lower clevis. The adjustable part would thread into the bottom.

Replacement lower clevis parts. The red **** is now the rebound adjustment

With lower spring perch installed
RESSURECTION!

Jamie what is the ballpark $$ for something like this as of now, as is?
Old 02-01-2010, 09:27 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Karbon
RESSURECTION!

The price is still in the $325-350 range. That would include the new lower clevis and new spring. I haven't been able to come up with alternatives to make it cheaper, so for now that's the best I can do.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:22 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Karbon
RESSURECTION!

JD did mine with the f4i shock, gold valve, 6mm length increase and weight matched spring and it is perfect, and an important upgrade for sure, esp considering that your ***/weight rests directly over your rear shock.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:35 PM
Back Marker

Karbon is on a distinguished road
I've recently resprung my forks with .9s. Now i'm kicking myself, realizing i should have installed gold valves as well. Anyhow the respring the front highlighted the shortcomings of the rear shock.

Luckily, i've source some fleabay shocks for durt cheap and will soon make the conversion. Just a heads up Jamie.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:36 PM
Simi Valley, CA
Back Marker

lowell is on a distinguished road
Jamie did a wonderufl job on my F4i shock. The bike rails instead of wobbles through the corners.

Cant wait for a track day to really dial it in closer..
Old 10-08-2016, 11:54 PM
Squid

keithtait is on a distinguished road
Hello
I am a new member
but I wish to modify a clevis bottom connector of the rear shock
I bought a low mileage Ducati Scrambler shock to put in my Thumper Suzuki RGV 250
project
the shock is about 1 inch shorter and the width of the clevis where it first the suspension is about 4mm too narrow
So I have seen you guys attch two bits of extended metal or a snazzy adapter
but I carnt understand how either of the methods dont just swivel ???
I need to know how it stays put in a straight position
Old 10-09-2016, 10:31 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Done right, the clevis extension is locked in place fore and aft by the upper square edge meeting the clevis edge.. and rotationally by fitting tightly to the flat sides of the clevis.

Originally Posted by keithtait
Hello
I am a new member
but I wish to modify a clevis bottom connector of the rear shock
I bought a low mileage Ducati Scrambler shock to put in my Thumper Suzuki RGV 250
project
the shock is about 1 inch shorter and the width of the clevis where it first the suspension is about 4mm too narrow
So I have seen you guys attch two bits of extended metal or a snazzy adapter
but I carnt understand how either of the methods dont just swivel ???
I need to know how it stays put in a straight position
Old 10-10-2016, 04:09 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by E.Marquez
Done right, the clevis extension is locked in place fore and aft by the upper square edge meeting the clevis edge.. and rotationally by fitting tightly to the flat sides of the clevis.

Wow, that reminds me how old the pictures are on my site. The design has changed a couple of times since way back then!