Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Shes all back together, now I have some issues!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 08:38 PM
Squid

VTRBandit is on a distinguished road
Shes all back together, now I have some issues!

Alrighty so after about a 2 week wait on ronayers to send me a booster joint, I was able to rebuild the SHawk and FINALLY be able to turn her over. She actually runs rather well and as far as I can tell doesn't have any engine knock (yet).

However she will ONLY start and run while on choke. Once I try to take choke off, she'll die. Also while running on choke, if I try to give it some gas, itll die. After a goooood long while running on choke, I can ever so slowly be able to give her some gas to really hear what she sounds like, but when I back off the RPMs, she still has to be on choke to run. I feel as if shes not getting enough air in the mixture (just replaced the entire airbox) but Im not sure. Im wondering if I should tear it back down and mess with the airbox or focus more on the carbs? Let me know what yall think!

Also the front exhaust oozes smoke every once in a while, anyone else have this problem or do I just have some foreign substance in there burning off?
Old 02-15-2007, 09:01 PM
Superstock

Speed_Demon is an unknown quantity at this point
You hooked up the petcock vaccum hose wrong. You probably hooked it to the more accessible diaphragm vent. The right hookup is hidden behind the petcock.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:24 PM
Superstock

If thats not the problem another common mistake is to not have the carbs fully seated and they suck air.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:25 PM
Squid

Are you talking about the smaller diameter (1098?) hose that runs from the booster joint on the rear case to the petcock? There are two semi-similar sized holed male parts on the petcock. the one on the bottom most point, and the one facing more towards the rear. I hooked it up to the rear most one.

Is that the one thats in the wrong place?
Old 02-15-2007, 09:39 PM
Superstock

I think you got that right but double check, the right hookup is on the backside of the petcock and is horizontal. Make sure your getting vacuum from that hose too. If you did hookup the right one but are unsure of vacuum hookup a vacuum pump and try to run it.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:42 PM
Squid

Horizontal? If there is a horizontal plug in, then yea I missed it. The way I have it right now is the 2 carb hoses running in horizontal to the pet ****, a plain hose leading nowhere, a double nippled attatched hose leading no where (both vertical) and a tiny hose leading from the booster joint to the back of the petcock (vertical).

Ill double check though to see if I am mistaken
Old 02-16-2007, 06:30 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Also, make sure the right vacuum line is hooked to the rear of the petcock. There's an indentical sized one that goes to the underside of the tank as vent release line. BTDT.

Bike's been sitting up for a while, right? Carbs are probably clogged with gas spooge.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:46 AM
Superstock

It sounds like you may not have got it. Look at this pic.

The two big ones are fuel outlets, the little one is the diaphragm vent, and the one you can't see behind the petcock is the right place to hook the vacuum line.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:56 AM
Squid

Yep, thats how I have the hoses hooked up. The carbs have been sitting for a while but before putting them back in, I tore them down and cleaned them out throughly. I might just have to let her run for a longer period of time, being so cold out and all (25* in Texas!!) If that doesnt work, I think I will replace back to the stock filter, that might have a little to do with it, then mess around with the carbs some more. I think they might not be set right and could be sucking in air like SpeedD had mentioned... Ill post up once I figger her out some more!

Also my RPM needle doesnt move, is there a plug in im missing? all the fairing is still off, plus the headlight, does that have something to do with it?

TIA
Old 02-16-2007, 12:46 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
It shouldn't, the gauge wiring is separate to the headlight. Does the speedo work?

If it does, then you have a problem as the speedo and tacho work off the same sensor in the gearbox.

As for the engine problem, it looks like the hose to the petcock is ok. Does the petcock work? Try putting some vacuum line on the back and putting it your mouth. You should be able to such against the diaphragm. If there is no resistance it may be stuffed. Also check that the line to it is producing vacuum to actually open it.

If that is not it, then I would be looking at the carbs being seated properly, or needing a really good clean. Maybe some junk in them somewhere.

Hope you are right about your engine being good. My engine was totally stuffed, I can't believe it still ran!! But it was pretty quiet too......you could hardly hear a knock in it, but the crank was so rooted I had to replace it.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:09 PM
Idiot
Squid

rossthompson is on a distinguished road
It sucks if you have to replace the petcock, it isn't cheap.