Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

No Front Brake Pressure

Old 08-29-2011, 06:23 PM
SuperBike

C5aig is on a distinguished road
No Front Brake Pressure

So, I've bled the front brakes 3 different times, using a couple different methods and still have what feels like air in the lines.

Every time I bleed them there are no air bubbles coming out of the bleeder valve and the lever gets firm (but never firm enough). The next time I go out to the bike a couple days later, it's lost the pressure.

It's got new pads, and I did a full fluid flush to clear out the lines. I don't have any visible leaks.

I searched and found that pressing the caliper back in fully can help in case there's air inside the caliper itself. Does that sound like a possible solution to my issue?

I've been having to bleed them alone, by hand, which is obviously not the easiest thing to do.

I bought a set of solo bleeders, but haven't installed them yet. Trying to figure out if using the solo bleeders or pressing the caliper in should be the first step... I'd rather not do both at the same time to limit the area of effect.

.... the rear brakes are fine.

Sorry for the long post, but I figured as much background info as possible would be useful.... cause I wanna ride damnit!
Old 08-29-2011, 07:34 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Yeah brakes can be frustrating. Have you tried bleeding at the banjo bolt at the lever? I have found thats the only way to get all the air out on the clutch too even with a mityvac bleeder.

Just wrap a rag around the banjo, pump & hold the lever, crack the banjo bolt loose enuff to expel air and a bit of fluid, and tighten the bolt while you are still holding the lever. Presto, problem gone.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:57 PM
Superstock

bass4dude is on a distinguished road
What condition are your lines in?

Are they stainless or stock?

And as well, what are you using to connect over the brake bleeder?

Even with the mitivac mentioned above, I've always found I get little air bubbles from the threads. I know that speedbleeders carry a thread sealant that works well, but I typically just use top grade silicone tape and it works just fine after that.

And as well, are you getting any fluid loss anywhere? Pull the plunger cover forward on the piston at the MC, if there's anything at all behind it, you just need a new piston. Other places to check are the connection between the cup and M/C.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:06 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Yea you have air at the upper banjo bolt, do your self a favor and plan to upgrade to Radial MC and better calipers.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:29 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
You can also try: ziptie the lever shut overnight and turn the bars so that the master cyl reservoir is at the highest point in the system.. Sometimes that allows the air to work it's way up and out of the system.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:36 AM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
I may be wrong but if you bled the system and it felt good then the next day it's bad are you sure all the crush washers were good? Easy check wipe with a clean paper towel. Or maybe the MC piston is bleeding by?
Banjo bolts installed to torque spec?
What changed from before when they were good till now.
Also before you press in the calipers hose them down with break cleaner to remove contaminants that may damage the seals.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:34 AM
SuperBike

I'm taking the bike over to a buddy's house this evening (schedule permitting) to see if we can figure it out.

The second set of hands, and eyes, should be useful and we'll try some of the techniques you guys mentioned.

FWIW, the bike is an '03 RC51 and there's no visible fluid leaks
Old 09-01-2011, 09:31 AM
SuperBike

Loaded up the bike, took it to my buddy's house and started looking over the bike.

We agreed no fluid was leaking and everything appears to be, visually, fine.

Started messing with the lever and.... after a minute or two of just pumping the lever, with everything connected, the pressure had built up enough to lock the front tire while riding.

So, now that it's got pressure, we're letting it sit as is for a couple days to see if it stays. If the pressure stays, then it's all good... if it bleeds off, I'll try the lever zip tie option. If that doesn't work, I'll rebuild the master.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:47 AM
Superstock

zxbud is on a distinguished road
Update?

Originally Posted by C5aig
Loaded up the bike, took it to my buddy's house and started looking over the bike.

We agreed no fluid was leaking and everything appears to be, visually, fine.

Started messing with the lever and.... after a minute or two of just pumping the lever, with everything connected, the pressure had built up enough to lock the front tire while riding.

So, now that it's got pressure, we're letting it sit as is for a couple days to see if it stays. If the pressure stays, then it's all good... if it bleeds off, I'll try the lever zip tie option. If that doesn't work, I'll rebuild the master.

I hate to ask but what was the fix on this brake issue?
Old 02-23-2017, 08:23 AM
Squid

kgbmstz is on a distinguished road
Front brake bleeding problems

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Yeah brakes can be frustrating. Have you tried bleeding at the banjo bolt at the lever? I have found thats the only way to get all the air out on the clutch too even with a mityvac bleeder.

Just wrap a rag around the banjo, pump & hold the lever, crack the banjo bolt loose enuff to expel air and a bit of fluid, and tighten the bolt while you are still holding the lever. Presto, problem gone.

After a few weeks of tinkering with this - I had replaced brake/clutch lines with braided SS - just couldn't get fronts to bleed. The suggestion to bleed at upper banjo fixed it immediately. Thank you!!
Old 02-23-2017, 10:14 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Awesome