Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

No fire rear cylinder, yes checked pvlir

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 06:05 PM
Squid

Chefmatt is on a distinguished road
No fire rear cylinder, yes checked pvlir

Hey all. After another round of minor mods - put in permanent lines to sync carbs, synced them, then went out for a ride. Got a full tank of gas, wasn't paying attention and over filled. Pulling out from station, bike bogged down. Thought it was vapor lock....opened cap to get rid of vacuum. Started her up, still bogging. Limped home, found out rear cylinder was cold. Pulled plugs, both black from carbon, rear wet. Put in new plugs, no spark rear. Rear coil tested funky on meter - primary reads 0.00 ohms, secondary 19.xx ohms. Swapped in good spare coil. Still no spark. Swapped in front coil, no spark. Front is firing, bike runs with strong gas smell from exhaust. Check pvlir, fuel supply, and wires for damage, all good.

Went theough troubleshooting in service manual guide, lists like 10 possible issues..Possibly cdi at fault? What else should I check. Pulse gen? Battery is good, new r/r....

oh it's a 98, ive done basically every mod I can except coil on plug...cct, suspension, 6 pots, f4i master, new stator and wiring, pair removal, chain and sprocket, wheel and head bearings, scott steering damperI , new gauge cluster, undertail, aftermarket hoses....all these were done months ago, bike has been running like a BEAST until that damn trip to gas station and over filling. I do only get 27mpg, my full light is out. Ran out of gas 3 times this summer, I'm slightly paranoid about running out.

Any help???
Old 07-28-2016, 06:59 PM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Chefmatt
Hey all. After another round of minor mods - put in permanent lines to sync carbs, synced them, then went out for a ride. Got a full tank of gas, wasn't paying attention and over filled. Pulling out from station, bike bogged down. Thought it was vapor lock....opened cap to get rid of vacuum. Started her up, still bogging. Limped home, found out rear cylinder was cold. Pulled plugs, both black from carbon, rear wet. Put in new plugs, no spark rear. Rear coil tested funky on meter - primary reads 0.00 ohms, secondary 19.xx ohms. Swapped in good spare coil. Still no spark. Swapped in front coil, no spark. Front is firing, bike runs with strong gas smell from exhaust. Check pvlir, fuel supply, and wires for damage, all good.

Went theough troubleshooting in service manual guide, lists like 10 possible issues..Possibly cdi at fault? What else should I check. Pulse gen? Battery is good, new r/r....

oh it's a 98, ive done basically every mod I can except coil on plug...cct, suspension, 6 pots, f4i master, new stator and wiring, pair removal, chain and sprocket, wheel and head bearings, scott steering damperI , new gauge cluster, undertail, aftermarket hoses....all these were done months ago, bike has been running like a BEAST until that damn trip to gas station and over filling. I do only get 27mpg, my full light is out. Ran out of gas 3 times this summer, I'm slightly paranoid about running out.

Any help???
Have you checked output voltage from the CDI ?
Old 07-28-2016, 08:39 PM
VTR virgin
Superstock

Cadbury64 is on a distinguished road
The coil resistance values don't sound bad to me. The primary should have next to no resistance, and the secondary should be high. I know the VTR manual doesn't say, but my ST1100 manual states 2-3 ohms primary, and 22-27 kilohms secondary.

Presumably you've checked the 2P connectors that connect the ignition wires to the coils for corrosion, and after that I'd check continuity on the yellow/blue wire from the ignition converter unit plug to the coil via that 2P plug.