Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Looking for hollow bolts, M5 & M6

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 03:42 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Looking for hollow bolts, M5 & M6

I have previously mounted a set of mirrors with integrated signals on my bike, and it was a decidedly custom job... But I'm trying to make it look nicer and be easier to remove the fairing, so I'm looking to replace the bolts to the mirrors with hollow one's to pass the cabling through...

I could just drill them in the lathe, but at that size, it's a PITA, and I'm not entirely sure I would trust them afterwards... Larger would be easy, but then i open up a whole new set of problems...

So, anyone know of a source of stainless or highgrade aluminium bolts in M5 or M6 size that are hollow through the middle?

Last edited by Tweety; 05-06-2011 at 03:46 AM.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:57 AM
Superstock

bass4dude is on a distinguished road
What weight wires are you trying to thread through there? Because I had some LEDs that ran off 22awg and I was able to run them through an old brake flange bolt, it did require some dremel and drilling work but it did work.

But if you're using a halogen bulb in there you might need a heavier gauge wire and that would null the idea.

And for the most part, I've only ever been able to find larger bolts with hollow threads. Would it be a possibility for you to drill and tap for a larger thread?
Old 05-06-2011, 05:55 PM
Squid

vtrwillie72 is on a distinguished road
McMaster-Carr
Old 05-07-2011, 01:03 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by bass4dude
What weight wires are you trying to thread through there? Because I had some LEDs that ran off 22awg and I was able to run them through an old brake flange bolt, it did require some dremel and drilling work but it did work.

But if you're using a halogen bulb in there you might need a heavier gauge wire and that would null the idea.

And for the most part, I've only ever been able to find larger bolts with hollow threads. Would it be a possibility for you to drill and tap for a larger thread?
I could, but that means making the holes in the fairing and the fairing mount larger, and the fairing is pretty easy to crack as it is, and the mount doesn't have much material...

I'm using halogens right now, so worst case, I'll run one wire per bolt if I need to... But yeah, switching to LED's might be a good idea...

vtrwilie, thanks for the link, but I could only find non-metric hollows...
Old 05-07-2011, 01:32 AM
Superstock

Since they are relatively low amperage lights you could just run the (+) wire and take the (-) and use the fairing mount as a ground. Not my favorite option but I've seen weirder done.

Coolest option to think about it looking over Nicolai Tesla's notes and figuring out how to transmit energy directly through the air not cost effective in the short term, but imagine the possibilities!

Practical option is possibly to use the site that vtrwillie posted and just retap your fairing mounts to the next closest size SAE bolt and use one of the hollow bolts from the site. Somewhat roundabout but still functional.

Closest size is 5/16 IIRC? Quick check on google should confirm that but the tap should be relatively cheap and it does appear to have some available on the site.

(edit) and if you're planning on running the LEDS for the mirror signals, I'd recommend a higher end LED (unless you plan on building the base yourself) I've had some bad luck with high LM signal bulbs that were... well... sh*&. What the manufacturers claim, and what the actual output is, quite different. The biggest difference I measured was I think 90LM for a 5w LED when it was stated to have around 500. If you want I can give you a website where you can buy your own bulb bases and create whatever madness you choose to do. Luxeon has been my favorite prototyping LED for a while now.

Last edited by bass4dude; 05-07-2011 at 01:38 AM. Reason: self explanitory.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:58 AM
SuperSport

Crashrat is on a distinguished road
I think a bunch of bicycle parts would work. How about this:

RS P M5 Hollow Aluminium Alloy Clamp Bolt (0.7g) | eBay UK

CR
Old 05-07-2011, 04:28 AM
MotoGP

bass4dude: If I do the LED conversion, I will most likely just throw the existing parts out, and stick one or two 5W luxeon LED's in there behind the smoked glass... I dislike the "LED bulbs" with a passion... They are in the range from garbage and utter crap to something way worse than that...

I'm an EE by trade, so that's not a problem, my challenge is the mechanical side of things on most my builds...

Also by now, I have come up with several good reasons as to why my original idea using hollow bolts is a bad idea, so I guess I'm back to milling an alu block to make a nice finished base for the GSXR mirrors instead... Who knows, If I make it using CNC, it might end up something i could sell as a DIY kit... Buy GSXR knock-off mirrors, and my mount and combine them and you have integrated mirrors... No promises though...
Old 05-07-2011, 05:58 PM
Squid

vtrwillie72 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
I could, but that means making the holes in the fairing and the fairing mount larger, and the fairing is pretty easy to crack as it is, and the mount doesn't have much material...

I'm using halogens right now, so worst case, I'll run one wire per bolt if I need to... But yeah, switching to LED's might be a good idea...

vtrwilie, thanks for the link, but I could only find non-metric hollows...

Tweety,
I will call them monday morning and confirm that they have metric. I am pretty sure they do but I could be wrong. I 'll shoot you a pm when I find something out......

Last edited by vtrwillie72; 05-07-2011 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:19 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
I have been in the thinking stages of a bar end mirror with integrated turn signals. A hollow bolt would be nice. Have you considered adjuster bolts that are used for clutch, brake cables?
I know that they are slotted, but are strong and will allow pass through of wires.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:49 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by xeris
I have been in the thinking stages of a bar end mirror with integrated turn signals. A hollow bolt would be nice. Have you considered adjuster bolts that are used for clutch, brake cables?
I know that they are slotted, but are strong and will allow pass through of wires.
Strong or not, a slotted bolt is going to walk the nut of it, with the vibrations that there is at the mirrors... So that's a no-go...
Old 05-19-2011, 01:07 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by Tweety
Strong or not, a slotted bolt is going to walk the nut of it, with the vibrations that there is at the mirrors... So that's a no-go...
If you used a split washer and a set nut it wouldn't =)

I had a couple of bolts fall out of carbs before, and a SEMS screw fixed that and the only difference is that it has a manufactured split washer on it.

Same principle as older model throttle cable stays, also similar on the Manual CCTs.