Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

I need help

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 09:15 PM
Squid

MikeyMike996 is on a distinguished road
I need help

So I went for an evening ride and was surprised by a 2x4 flying out of the back of someones truck. Windscreen is cracked, if you turn the handlebars all the way to the left the faring will now hit the kill switch. It looks as if the subframe that holds the mirror is bent. Are the mirror subframes independent of each other on each side? Thats not the end of the story...I pulled off the interstate to check everything out, and check out my friends new house, and my bike fell over in his slanted driveway on the left bending the clutch lever (good things i put sliders on it). and slightly denting the tank. So i guess what im asking is - Best replacement clutch and brake levers?? And where to possibly find the mirror subframe?? Any and all help would be appreciated. I guess these are the parts that need to be replaced - front blinkers, mirrors, right side mirror subframe. and levers.....Thanks guys
Old 04-25-2016, 09:49 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
The Mirror subframe actually called a Faring Stay and it is one piece, you can fix it very easy by bending it back after you remove the mirrors and plastics from it, or if you don't want to deal with that, see if you can find one on ebay, levers are cheap on line as well...
Old 04-25-2016, 09:51 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

thedeatons is on a distinguished road
The front fairing stay is one large piece that connects to the frame (two bolts behind the headlight, and to the headlight via four plastic locator pins, and to the mirrors. It is easliy bent, which means it is also easily bent back. It's mild steel, so you should be able to bend it back easy enough.

There are some inexpensive Pazzo knockoff levers on Ebay if you are into that look, or you can get inexpensive stock replacements from ebay, or just about anywhere.

James
Old 04-26-2016, 07:26 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by NHSH
The Mirror subframe actually called a Faring Stay and it is one piece, you can fix it very easy by bending it back after you remove the mirrors and plastics from it, or if you don't want to deal with that, see if you can find one on ebay, levers are cheap on line as well...
I have no doubt many have had good luck doing just that, reforming teh fairing stay..
I am not one of those folks..
Not once on any bike I have tried to rebend the fairing stay have I been able to get it straight and even side to side, front to back, no imparted twist to the mounting surfaces.
I decided long ago to just spend the cash on a new part.. used ones seemed to be bent more often than not...and "straightened ones" while useable were just not "right"
Old 04-26-2016, 04:19 PM
Squid

Thank you guys for the immediate responses....im having trouble locating a new fairing stay...Any tips on where to look?
Old 04-26-2016, 04:30 PM
Squid

Found one...Honda Superhawk VTR 1000 VTR1000 Upper Fairing Stay Mount Bracket 2004 04 H27 | eBay

Anyone see anything wrong with this one?
Old 04-26-2016, 08:41 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Hmm. I have straightened dozens of stays to "close enough". 18 years of racing and you get used to fixing them since it comes up (hopefully) way more often than the street.

You may need to use pipes at different angles. If its only a 2x4 that did it then it cant be that far off.

Don't give up. You can do it.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:21 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Hmm. I have straightened dozens of stays to "close enough". 18 years of racing and you get used to fixing them since it comes up (hopefully) way more often than the street.

You may need to use pipes at different angles. If its only a 2x4 that did it then it cant be that far off.

Don't give up. You can do it.
Close enough on a track bike I have done... I agree very doable.

But my street bikes are not close enough..Im picky... they are right or not.

LOL, true story.. On a track bike I helped campaign and maintain,, an endurance bike that have many riders over the 4 year stretch.. it hit the ground more than a few times.. So I made a jig for the "straight and true" sub frame and another for fairing stay.

It made re bending the parts back into close enough shape fast and simple..
Clamp the part in, and start bending and twisting until all the othe other clamp points and touch points are on line.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:59 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
My best straightening story was after I let a friend of a friend ride my cbr600 on the street.

He started going way too fast and cooked it into a corner, crashing into a field. He was fine but the rear subframe was twisted like a twizler.

I put the whole bike against a 4ft square pillar in my commercial garage with a wooden pallet against it and many big tiedowns.

Using 8ft scaffolding poles and several guys, we twisted the whole subframe back to almost perfect.

(Those subframes are welded on).

Had to have been a huge number of ft-lbs to make it happen.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:11 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Nice, well done..

The Suzuki DRZ400 DS model is known to bend the rear subframe in a mild to wild get off... I commonly lay the bike down on a stump or rock and ahhh, place an "appropriate amount" of pressure on the top side to bend/twist the subframe back into reasonable alignment. Got to the point the straightening looked to be a mild loss of mental stability as the rider pick up bike, surveyed results of get off, looked around on trail for the right "tool" and then throw the bike down and jumped on it a time or two, lifted bike and rode on.

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
My best straightening story was after I let a friend of a friend ride my cbr600 on the street.

He started going way too fast and cooked it into a corner, crashing into a field. He was fine but the rear subframe was twisted like a twizler.

I put the whole bike against a 4ft square pillar in my commercial garage with a wooden pallet against it and many big tiedowns.

Using 8ft scaffolding poles and several guys, we twisted the whole subframe back to almost perfect.

(Those subframes are welded on).

Had to have been a huge number of ft-lbs to make it happen.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:00 PM
Squid

bird-rider is on a distinguished road
That is why we install some frame sliders to protect those specific parts.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:33 AM
Squid

Frame sliders are on...just got real unlucky, but ive found the parts i need to get her back to her original self...
Old 04-30-2016, 04:22 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by bird-rider
That is why we install some frame sliders to protect those specific parts.
Frame sliders don't always protect the bike. They really only help with stationary tip overs to maybe 20 mph get offs. At speed, I have seen sliders ground down to almost nothing, but most just bend the mounts or the plastic snaps off.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:41 PM
Squid

bird-rider is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CruxGNZ
Frame sliders don't always protect the bike. They really only help with stationary tip overs to maybe 20 mph get offs. At speed, I have seen sliders ground down to almost nothing, but most just bend the mounts or the plastic snaps off.
Yes you are correct, sometimes its just bad luck. I was able to buy a Puig crash pads from 4 wheel online. They claim it could protect your frame and fairing way better compared with conventional sliders due to its bigger and better design. Has any one has this on what your opinion about it?