Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

I Fluked up! Dunno maybe over tight...

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 04:54 AM
Superstock

RedStormJ is on a distinguished road
I Fluked up! Dunno maybe over tight...

I set one cam tensioner blind and the other with the lid off. Well The bike went like a silver bullet after a fun time with the carbs. Bike sounded just amazin. I yanked the front right off the ground and set her down nice. It went like that until I had to stop for a light. Dead. Restart. Dead. REstart kept the R's up let off dead. Tried to hold at 1000R dead. anything under 1100 dead. My first thought was and is Crux saying: Dont overtighten the chains. you just got the bike running again.

I limped it to the parking lot of mister dough nut where I had an interview with a client. Well It cooled. looked to see if my inbox had any warnings from any forum members. None but I did have a message from Carl or cyber carl on a thread. He re iterated better a bit loose than tight.
I fired the bike back up and it idled fine. But I herd a slight wind howl noise on cranking. (Probably the cam scraping the head...) I shut it down and went out 1 turn on each tensioner. I am pretty sure the front chain is barley on. Bike was back to its lazier state with no stalls. Just the noise remained. Ill give a verdict as I get one. But If I did damage the head I am going to ride it until its totally trashed as I have no machine shop around and a spare. I want to port the new heads and stress relieve them along with new guides valves and seats before I put them on anything... I dunno. But Ill be bummed if I killed the front head. I read a ton of threads on the subject including a few over tight warnings....
Old 11-14-2016, 06:31 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Bugger! You could drain some oil and see if it has any glitter. Doubt your damage is that far along though.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:24 AM
Superstock

Crux save my *** count: 3.
It was just the guide screaming for oil.
I got to thinking it could not be the cam as the pressure is real good in the storm.
I had to come out about 5mm!!! Or the with of a 10mm nut!
I think I set the engine up stone cold and me being scared of the bolt backing out kept accidentally tightening the cct a little.
This time I set it warm. used my micrometer to measure the chain play from zero to full force pull. 5mm. That is between where I had it and Carls spec of 7mm.
I also let the oil fly. I did not give a rats behind and let her run a good thirty seconds with no valve cover.
She seems back to where she was. Unfortunatly this means it idles real nice but is missing the power it seemed to have with the chain tight. I am guessing this has to do with the cam angle.
She fires up with half a crank and idles real low. I still want to play with the carbs tomorrow. But now that I have the nipple and line I need to make a balance set up.
This bike needs to lean out quite a ways.

Oh and a last question or two that I will post on another thread as well. VW air cooled? Is that the sound with manual CCT's. Sure seems like a similar sound only with a v twin rhythm. I can hear the chain but it does not sound like its jumping.

The other thing is. I took the spring out of my CCT's jammed the screw all the way in tight on the ajuster and threaded a bolt through the top of the tensioner aka stock bottom foot with the bolt through the top. OR should I weld the screw into the foot so it can not tighten its self? IT sure wont loosen.
Old 11-14-2016, 03:34 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Rob, I answered a few items for you in the "What did you do with your Superhawk today" thread.

Regarding a carb balancing setup, look up the "Two Bottle" method. It costs less than $5 and is super simple to make.

When you balance your carbs, if you haven't done it before, it can be a little frustrating. Just remember to use small movements of the balancing screw. Watch your idle RPM's too. The RPM's will go up or down depending on how far out of balance the carbs are. Also, it is very hard to get it absolutely perfect.
Old 11-14-2016, 06:35 PM
Superstock

Yeah ill have a look. I have balanced them out by ear and was planning on the two bottle method. The bike aint farting or anything so I may ride today.
I do feel I need to lean the bike out a touch. Ill be following I forget who the poster was but Theres a thread on here and it looks good.

Best thing is I know how to take everything out of that bike except for the engine block now.
Thanks again I imagine if I didnt loosen the chains in that parking lot Id have wiped out either a guide or chain.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:41 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Rob, I'm sorry, but even a classical musician could not balance thier carbs by ear.
Old 11-16-2016, 01:09 AM
Superstock

Let me define balanced.... My version
No carb farts. Good clean idle. no off idle bogging. front and rear pipes read the same temp.

I will balance them for real but just been riding Today I could not even eat lunch and since im not a teen anymire no more working in the garage without the heat.