Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues
View Poll Results: How often U change oil?
1000 to 2000
13.83%
2000 to 3000
40.43%
3000 to 4000
32.98%
Over 4k
12.77%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

How often do you - Change Oil?

Old 09-01-2008, 07:10 AM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
How often do you - Change Oil?

Just wondering when everyone does this. I usually change around every 2k, but wondering if U can go longer. Also, I always change oil before winter sets in, though will ride in cold weather.

Finally, reason I ask is I just started using semi-syn Motul.

C U folks at Indy

Last edited by nnjhawk02; 09-01-2008 at 07:13 AM.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:58 AM
Idiot
Squid

rossthompson is on a distinguished road
I like to change my oil before it gets too dark which is usually just under 3k miles. I have noticed that my SH takes longer to darken the oil than either my GSXR1k and 600 and my old GPz550. I guess that's good?
Old 09-01-2008, 08:39 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Usually somewhere between 2 and 3k and I use synthetic oil. It never gets real dark for me either.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:47 AM
Uhhhhh..huh.huh..Member..
Superstock

Springbubba is on a distinguished road
I change when my oil when it starts to smell to much like fish. I fried a turkey the other day and it was fine, so I guess I will wait to change it out.

PS- Dont get it over 400 degrees F. It will burn after that and you will have to throw it out.

Last edited by Springbubba; 09-01-2008 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Tip:
Old 09-01-2008, 12:19 PM
SuperSport

Death Cattle is on a distinguished road
a change around 3000. same as my car.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:36 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Mine gets changed between 1000-1500. It would be a strict 1000 miles if I didn't ride it every day. Anything over 2000 miles is asking for trouble regardless of the oil you are running. These aren't car engines, the oil lubricates the gearbox area too. Also consider the speed of the rotating components. Combine that with the fact that motorcycle oils are not as 'good' as car oils (big topic there, but it comes down to the wet clutch mostly) it all adds up to a lot more wear and tear on the oil.

When buying a motorcycle I always ask about oil changes. When the guy is really proud of the fact that he changes them "every 3000, just like my car", I literally walk away.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:46 PM
Back Marker

hawkman996 is on a distinguished road
I like to change mine around 2500 miles. That is usually when the oil begins to look dark. During the summer months here in Florida I sometimes change before 2k miles just because it's so hot down here and the oil breaks down faster.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:28 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Maybe with regular dino oil 3k miles or so is a good number but with any decent synthetic like M1, Redline, Rotella-T, etc 4 to 5k is not too soon. The VTR is a low-stressed relatively low-rpm motor with plenty of oil cpacity (over 4 qts), so with a good filter (I run the Purolator premiun syn media filter) even 5k is not over doing it.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:59 PM
Superstock

sassage is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by skokievtr
Maybe with regular dino oil 3k miles or so is a good number but with any decent synthetic like M1, Redline, Rotella-T, etc 4 to 5k is not too soon. The VTR is a low-stressed relatively low-rpm motor with plenty of oil cpacity (over 4 qts), so with a good filter (I run the Purolator premiun syn media filter) even 5k is not over doing it.
+1

I run synthetic in the Shawk and my VTX, I don't really bother changing until it's past 4000 miles and the oil still looks decent. I always change it before winter storage though, no matter the miles.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:09 PM
Shredding Asphalt
Superstock

MisfitToy is on a distinguished road
I commute 30 miles one way everyother day so I try and get it before 1000 and deffinatly changed before 2000. thats with a new napa gold or wix filter as well
Old 09-01-2008, 09:10 PM
Back Marker

timdske is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
Mine gets changed between 1000-1500. It would be a strict 1000 miles if I didn't ride it every day. Anything over 2000 miles is asking for trouble regardless of the oil you are running. These aren't car engines, the oil lubricates the gearbox area too. Also consider the speed of the rotating components. Combine that with the fact that motorcycle oils are not as 'good' as car oils (big topic there, but it comes down to the wet clutch mostly) it all adds up to a lot more wear and tear on the oil.

When buying a motorcycle I always ask about oil changes. When the guy is really proud of the fact that he changes them "every 3000, just like my car", I literally walk away.
What???? Motorcycle engines don't have anywhere near the stresses of a car engine. You may pull higher RPM's with a bike, but that engine is only pulling about 600 lbs. Cars pull thousands of pounds. Honda states you can go 8000 miles before changing your oil, (I don't ever go anywhere near that long). "Car oil" Isn't any better than Motorcycle oil, the only difference is Motorcycle has different fricton modifiers for the wet clutches. I use to work for a major oil company. Changing you oil that often is just major over-kill nothing more.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:46 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by timdske
What???? Motorcycle engines don't have anywhere near the stresses of a car engine. You may pull higher RPM's with a bike, but that engine is only pulling about 600 lbs. Cars pull thousands of pounds. Honda states you can go 8000 miles before changing your oil, (I don't ever go anywhere near that long). "Car oil" Isn't any better than Motorcycle oil, the only difference is Motorcycle has different fricton modifiers for the wet clutches. I use to work for a major oil company. Changing you oil that often is just major over-kill nothing more.
It isn't about stress on the engine. The oil in cars serves one purpose, lube the engine. In bikes with shared sump, the oil runs through the clutch and transmission as well as the engine.

Bike transmissions beat the **** out of oil. Dino 10w40 oil can become 10w20something within a thousand miles. The additives may last as long as they would in a car but the upper viscosity usually doesn't.

I don't know how much difference it makes. I don't know why Honda engineers reccommend 8k change intervals. I just know oil loses viscosity in shared sump bikes in a fraction of the time it does in a car.

http://www.xs11.com/stories/mcnoil94.htm
Motorcycle Oils vs. Automotive Oils

scroll down and look at the retained viscosities.

I wouldn't go over 2k miles on my bike's oil without a UOA to back it up.

Last edited by RK1; 09-01-2008 at 10:07 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:19 AM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RK1
I don't know why Honda engineers recommend 8k change intervals.
Honda does suggest weird things from time to time. IIRC my owner's manual says I should shift into 6th gear at 37 MPH.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:24 AM
Back Marker

ascothawk is on a distinguished road
I use either Mobil 1 or Castrol Syntec for 2000 miles and then it goes into the cars for another 3000.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:21 AM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
It's an annual ritual for me, prepping for the start of bike week over at Daytona. I do the engine oil, the clutch & brake fluid and check the state of the coolant. Also included in the ritual is dismounting all the control pivots, cleaning them and applying fresh lube.
A spritz of teflon down the throttle cables makes control suave.

Oil?, Hygroscopic, even if it's looking clean, after a year, regardless of the miles, it gets changed out just to get rid of the moisture in it.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:40 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by ascothawk
I use either Mobil 1 or Castrol Syntec for 2000 miles and then it goes into the cars for another 3000.
never heard of that technique before
Old 09-02-2008, 11:55 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
I like the Canola best, and I do change it after any seafood has been in it...

As for the bike, well, it's cheap enough I change it every 1000 miles...of course I haven't gone that long yet..

New bike bought in Oct... changed at 75 miles, 200 miles, 600 miles, 1000 miles, and 1575 miles...At 2000 I am switching over to synthetic, then I will run 1500 to 2000 between changes...
yes, I am **** like that...
Old 09-02-2008, 12:15 PM
Superstock

so what do you guys do when you go on a long trip over 2000 miles, do you have to stop to change it part way through? seems excessive.

i personally like peanut oil though, tastes great and, if you're lucky, somebody eating with you will get all puffy in the face after eating
Old 09-02-2008, 12:39 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by sassage
so what do you guys do when you go on a long trip over 2000 miles, do you have to stop to change it part way through? seems excessive.
Haven't taken a 2000+ mile trip in a long time. On a 3k trip I wouldn't change it but on a 6k trip I would.

From the used oil tests I've seen at Bobistheoilguy etc., it seems that a week's worth of 400 mile highway days is a lot easier on oil than a eight or ten weeks worth of local 50 mile days.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:42 PM
Superstock

rbrais is on a distinguished road
I don't put that many miles on, so I change it every couple of years. I know that's bad, but so far everything is fine.

I know it's time to change it when I can feel it shifting hard. Use Spectro 4. That seems to work well.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:09 PM
Will drum for BBQ
Back Marker

HondaJim is on a distinguished road
Oil and filter every 2,000 miles. Honda filter and GN-4 red cap. Hasn't failed me yet.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:35 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by RK1
...From the used oil tests I've seen at Bobistheoilguy etc., it seems that a week's worth of 400 mile highway days is a lot easier on oil than a eight or ten weeks worth of local 50 mile days.
I would agree with that thinking...commuting is tough on vehicles
Old 09-02-2008, 02:22 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Randman

New bike bought in Oct... changed at 75 miles, 200 miles, 600 miles, 1000 miles, and 1575 miles...At 2000 I am switching over to synthetic, then I will run 1500 to 2000 between changes...
yes, I am **** like that...
Wow, did it get a new filter each time?

Last edited by VTRsurfer; 09-02-2008 at 02:24 PM. Reason: forgot to post comment.....oldtimers I guess
Old 09-02-2008, 03:45 PM
ATGATT
Superstock

newb007 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by timdske
Honda states you can go 8000 miles before changing your oil, (I don't ever go anywhere near that long).
I might get shot for this but I don't change the oil in my toyota truck or honda minivan until 15k miles. I use Amsoil 100% pure synthetic with Amsoil filters and they recommend not changing for 25k, but I can't make it that long. The bike though I change whenever I get that nagging voice in the back of my head telling me its time. Typically 1500miles. I've been using Amsoil for many years and have pulled apart engines using Amsoil and been very surprised how well it does. I haven't gone over to Amsoil in my bike and not sure I will. But I'm also not trying to bring up the oil subject. Just mileage..strictly mileage right.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:58 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
Wow, did it get a new filter each time?
Yup, every time!

I am talking about my KLR...but if it had been my Hawk, would have been the same thing, only I didn't buy that one new...so couldn't kill it with kindness those first 5k miles...

Filters are not expensive...Even for the Hawk, do the search, find the cross reference thread on filters...One of the best is the Wal-mart filter, supertech...can't remember the number right off...it is like $2 a piece...so change your filter each time, at that price there is no reason not to!
Old 09-03-2008, 09:15 AM
Superstock

Zedicus is on a distinguished road
mobil 1 full synth. 0w40
pure0ne oil filter
6k - 8k oil changes on the bike
8k - 10k in the car
actually could go longer if i would change the oil filter at 4k miles like they recomend and just top off the oil.

also synth has a break in period where it actually is causing a bit more ware then dyno juice would, so if yur running synth and changing oil every 2k miles not only are u wasting money, your doing more harm then good.

and get a good oil filter on the bike, that oil does a lot more then in a car so you want a GOOD filter to keep it clean.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:20 AM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Cleveland is on a distinguished road
Another oil thread?

3-4000 on bike... It's always moving, so it's hard to change it more often.. I ride every day

3000 religiously in my Sierra. It does alot of boat towing.

Last edited by Cleveland; 09-03-2008 at 12:30 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:14 PM
Squid

Hawkguy Pierce is on a distinguished road
Oil Change

My oil gets changed mid season (in the northeast). That works out to be about 1800 miles or so. It's cheap insurance. It gives me a change to look at the oil to see if anything unorthodox is going on inside the motor.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:38 PM
Back Marker

Scoutpilot is on a distinguished road
One word...AMSOIL
Old 09-03-2008, 05:28 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Ferrari's & Oil, Take the quiz.

Best dissertation on oil, especially 0 weight. Take the quiz.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=136052

Originally Posted by Zedicus
mobil 1 full synth. 0w40
pure0ne oil filter
6k - 8k oil changes on the bike
8k - 10k in the car
actually could go longer if i would change the oil filter at 4k miles like they recomend and just top off the oil.

also synth has a break in period where it actually is causing a bit more ware then dyno juice would, so if yur running synth and changing oil every 2k miles not only are u wasting money, your doing more harm then good.

and get a good oil filter on the bike, that oil does a lot more then in a car so you want a GOOD filter to keep it clean.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How often do you - Change Oil?