Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

How does the choke cable connect to the carb?

Old 05-10-2009, 09:14 AM
Squid

shutej is on a distinguished road
How does the choke cable connect to the carb?

I hit a pothole last weekend and at the next light I noticed the bike idling at 2000 instead of its typical ~1000.

I popped the tank up and on the rear carb I can see the choke cable's shiny little spring. It looks like it goes into a dark circle on the side of the carb, what could be an O-ring but is probably the thread of a nut, because on the other end of the spring, hanging out of the carb, it looks like there's a nut head that I can push flush against tha carb. When I pull the choke, it actually pulls this "nut" closer to the carb, but there seems to be nothing to actually get it fixed to the side of the carb.

My guess is that this is actually a part of the cable, that this is how the cable housing attaches to the side of the carb, and when I hit the pothole, the nut head sheared off leaving the thread in the carb? Can anyone confirm what I'm looking at?

I intended to bring it to a mechanic for a carb sync and jet kit this week anyway. I'd like to give them some idea what OEM part they should order first, so I don't have to sit out another week waiting for the thing to show...

This is the first sun we've had in a week. And I'm here on the internet. Sigh.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:36 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
you are right. the cable has a plastic threaded part at the end that secures the fuel enrichment device to the carb - one for each carb - easy to break while installing/overtightening. Never heard of one breaking over a bump!
Old 05-10-2009, 01:50 PM
guru of things sparky
SuperSport

Circuit_Burner is on a distinguished road
If the black plastic threads are still stuck in the side of the carb where the choke plunger goes, you will need to carefully turn that out counter clockwise with some picks or small chisel..
From Honda that part comes with the choke plunger and isnt cheap.
You might find a used cap somewhere. I scrounge them up for carb jobs from local bike shops and salvage yards every now and then since those choke plungers are sometimes over $100 a set (per carb)

Last edited by Circuit_Burner; 05-10-2009 at 01:54 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:50 PM
Squid

We grow 'em big around here. Didn't expect it to be a fork-bottoming choke-cable-breaking affair. Maybe the last guy in there tightened it too much and it was a hair's breadth away from shearing off? Thanks for the sanity check, will call my wrench tomorrow and get it ordered in advance.

I did an ugly tie-wrapping of the rubber boot and went riding today anyway. Not great, but better than sulking at home!
Old 05-10-2009, 01:57 PM
guru of things sparky
SuperSport

Circuit_Burner is on a distinguished road
Yea, Those black plastic threaded things like that barely get tightened beyond finger tight.
Noob mechanics miss this everytime, just like when they tighten down rear axle nuts too hard.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:18 PM
Squid

Aha!

I think it's part #11, part number 16046-MBB-640:

http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/...OMPONENT_PARTS

...and there it is, the "nut" and its corresponding threads. $25 from Honda, not too bad!
Old 05-10-2009, 05:48 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Honda should of made those and the rear brake hose guides out of aluminum. Shame on you Honda!
Old 05-10-2009, 06:58 PM
Squid

Blkbird is on a distinguished road
i broke the plastic threads off of mine when i had the carbs off a couple months ago, i think the parts cost me like $35 with shipping. Believe it is called a starter valve or something of the sort. Im so careful when I remove them from the carb now.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:38 PM
SuperSport

mboe794 is on a distinguished road
I too broke one during one of my jetting attempts. It's easy to cross thread and tough to tell how much you're torquing on it while you hands are all contorted under the carbs.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:58 PM
Superstock

Zedicus is on a distinguished road
i sware its like no one listens to me. a short search would turn up my thread about a brass alternative that is easy to source and cheap. (and wont break) i dont remember the part number as its been years but i think the fitting carb is off of a polaris 400 scrambler. i had them on my hawk.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:33 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Zedicus
i sware its like no one listens to me. a short search would turn up my thread about a brass alternative that is easy to source and cheap. (and wont break) i dont remember the part number as its been years but i think the fitting carb is off of a polaris 400 scrambler. i had them on my hawk.
its not that no-one listens, more that very few people use the search very often. Think how much is missed? There is some good info there. then again, after this long, what we post about if not to repeat all that's been said?