Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Headlight quit, need guidance

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 08:23 AM
Crash
Superstock

COLE is on a distinguished road
Headlight quit, need guidance

I have a 2002 Hawk. The bulb is good. All of the fuses are good. No power coming through the high or low beam wires at all. Does power travel through the switch on the handlebar? I am not sure what to check next...
Old 04-27-2015, 02:12 PM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Does power travel through the switch on the handlebar?
Yup it do - that's why an eager beaver relay kit (powered directly from the battery and switched via switchgear) is a tad more efficient. Check the H4 bulb holder as the stock nylon/placcy one can 'melt' giving an iffy connection. I replaced my lighting system with the eagerbeaver kit and ceramic bulb holder.
Old 04-27-2015, 04:44 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Its likely the plug from the bar switch came unplugged or that the switch failed.

You need some electronic contact cleaner. Open the switch and spray it down.

However, I bet the fuse may be bad. Replace the fuse even if it looks good just to be sure.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:58 PM
Crash
Superstock

COLE is on a distinguished road
I have a ceramic socket on the way. I might as well upgrade while I have everything apart. I ll check switch harness tomorrow. A few years ago I shortened harnesses when I did a fairing delete so I guess it is my fault. Thanks for info
Old 04-27-2015, 08:36 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Its likely the plug from the bar switch came unplugged or that the switch failed.

You need some electronic contact cleaner. Open the switch and spray it down.

However, I bet the fuse may be bad. Replace the fuse even if it looks good just to be sure.
I agree with Smokin'. However, you should pack the switch with either dielectric grease or Vasaline. It's one of the two, or both of them. Maybe look into that.

It sounds like you are building your own headlight relay harness. So am I. I'm trying to figure out how to put a delay in the low beam circuit for a HID headlight. The thread for this is here.

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 04-27-2015 at 08:41 PM. Reason: link
Old 05-03-2015, 09:50 PM
Deals Gap is a Hoot!
Back Marker

SIRR1 is on a distinguished road
Eastern Eager Beaver (sounds like my girl friend)

Originally Posted by Wicky
Yup it do - that's why an eager beaver relay kit (powered directly from the battery and switched via switchgear) is a tad more efficient. Check the H4 bulb holder as the stock nylon/placcy one can 'melt' giving an iffy connection. I replaced my lighting system with the eagerbeaver kit and ceramic bulb holder.

Hey Wicky when you wired up the Eager Beaver relay kit does the Honda OEM handle bar switch still automatically turn off the low beam headlight when cranking over the starter?

I am looking into purchasing one of their kits but I am not sure what to buy to retain this option.

I want to keep the OEM automatic switch that turns off the low beam if possible and I don't want to add a on / off switch that turns on the low beam because 9 times out of 10 I will forget to turn the damn thing on.

Thanks in advance SIRR1
Old 05-03-2015, 11:27 PM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
SIRR1 - I'm in the UK so we don't have the same requirement to have lights 'fixed' on.