Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

A different neutral light problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 12:12 PM
Not Realy A Squid
Squid

waltr is on a distinguished road
A different neutral light problem

Friday on my way to work after dimming the high beams I thought I saw a faint glow near the light but when I looked down everything was normal. This happened a couple of times then was fine.

On the way home after about 12 miles I saw the same thing but it was daytime so no high beams. Watching closer I discovered it was the neutral light dimly flickering. This is while in gear. The light comes on normally when in neutral.

After I got home I cleaned up the area around the side stand and neutral switch and started trouble shooting. The neutral switch itself seems to work as intended but the light would be on even in gear.

This seems to happen with the wire unplugged from the switch and side stand up or down. Went back to look for the problem Sunday but all works as it should. Started and ran it for a while on a rear stand and all is normal. I have not had the chance to ride enough te get good and warm yet.

Any Ideas? I tried the search but all the problems I saw had to do with the light not working, flickering in neutral or a no start. Did not see anything close to this.

Thanks.
Old 09-19-2016, 03:37 PM
VTR virgin
Superstock

Cadbury64 is on a distinguished road
If the neutral light is flickering on when in gear, I believe that means the diode is failing. The diode is a one-way current device and should allow flow towards the neutral switch earth to illuminate the neutral bulb. When it fails, current can instead pass to earth through the clutch and sidestand switches.

The diode is located in or around the fuse box, good news is that it is a cheap part: 31730-MAS-601 DIODE, THREE WAY, $7.41 on Partzilla.
Old 09-20-2016, 10:52 AM
Not Realy A Squid
Squid

I wondered if that could be it. It was fine this morning but I will have to see this afternoon when it is warm. It looks like it is a part common to hundreds of applications so hopefully I can just waltz in to the local dealer and walk out with one instead of ordering and waiting.

I should be happy that it worked this morning but in my experience problems that fix themselves tend to not really be fixed!
Old 09-20-2016, 12:54 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by waltr
I wondered if that could be it. It was fine this morning but I will have to see this afternoon when it is warm. It looks like it is a part common to hundreds of applications so hopefully I can just waltz in to the local dealer and walk out with one instead of ordering and waiting.

I should be happy that it worked this morning but in my experience problems that fix themselves tend to not really be fixed!
You are more likely to win the OR Lotto then find that part in stock at a dealer.

You might get lucky, they may have one on hand from a previous order. But with millions of parts across a typical 2, 3, 4 or more brand lines and thousands of models over a 10 spread ..it is simply not realistic to stock a part like you need.

When it is a bike and model the dealer caters to, say a bike sponsor for a team... you may find they have a large selection on hand, same if it is a previously campaigned model..now you have new old stock... or if the model had some other connection to the dealer owner, parts manager..Other then that you're out of luck most times...check for sure, but be ready.

The part IS in stock and on hand at a number on online OEM parts suppliers.. I use partzilla mostly, it's there in stock ready to ship the next buisness day. 31730-MAS-601 DIODE, THREE WAY $7.41 $7.41 Shipping is what you want to pay.. moderate $, Faster $$, Fastest $$$.

I typically see partszilla order in 3-5 buisness days when the part shows as in stock,,sometimes less.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:40 AM
Not Realy A Squid
Squid

Eric,you could be right but that same part is used on just about every multi cylinder electric start bike made thru 2015 (GL, VFR, CBR, CBR, ST, VT, CTX, and NX included) I thought there was a good chance. I will know for sure tonight though. They have surprised me before by having the o-ring to seal the fuel sender to the bottom of the tank on a 1983 Interceptor in stock.

I guess if they have one I will leave there and go buy a lottery ticket. Shouldn't need more than one right?
Old 09-21-2016, 01:56 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

I guess if they have one I will leave there and go buy a lottery ticket. Shouldn't need more than one right?
No not at all, if they have the part go buy two lottery tickets, double your chances

You're absolutely right, they may have the part, no harm in asking... I checked my local dealer out of curiosity, they did not have it in inventory, but two of the techs had one in thier stash because "that same part is used on just about every multi cylinder electric start bike made thru 2015 "
Old 09-22-2016, 10:52 AM
Not Realy A Squid
Squid

You where right, wont get the part till Tuesday or Wednesday. I was encouraged by the fact that it is used on so many bikes but maybe they are not known to fail much.

Didn't bother with the lottery ticket, got enough non winners already.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:44 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

You where right, won't get the part till Tuesday or Wednesday. I was encouraged by the fact that it is used on so many bikes but maybe they are not known to fail much.

Didn't bother with the lottery ticket, got enough non winners already.
Would have been happy to have been wrong, but doing this stuff for a living and having a wife that was a service writer, then service manager for a 5 brand dealership..I was pretty sure of the outcome.

The only way I have seen this diode fail is..

Damaged in a associated part failure
Damaged by the user.
Damaged by corrosion.

But hey its an electrical component, so can stop working for many reasons, or no reason at all.

Hope you did not pay too much for it... Retail is $8.80 and common dealer price. Online will be $7.80 or so.... less if you have a commercial account.

Last edited by E.Marquez; 09-22-2016 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:23 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
So what part did you wait for? The neutral switch or the diode?

I just installed my new neutral switch and it solved my flickering light issue.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:27 AM
Not Realy A Squid
Squid

Eric, The diode was just a few cents over $7.00. I joined a local motorcycle club because my riding buddy wanted to do some rides and members get 20% off most purchases at one local dealer (also 5 brands) so it doesn't take long to save the $25 membership cost on parts.

Joe, the diode. Should be in Tuesday. My neutral light will flicker even with the neutral switch unplugged. Only does it hot and what I do with the side stand and clutch lever has no effect at all. It does work fine after everything cools down.