Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Bike starts...Bike Starts No More...

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 06:48 AM
Squid

Chuey is on a distinguished road
Bike starts...Bike Starts No More...

Hi guys, new owner here, with an odd electrical quirk. The bike was starting fine when I was at the old owner's place. I could kill the engine with the engine cut off switch on the handlebar (kill switch) with no issues.

In order to get the bike back to my place I rode it through a very heavy rainstorm. Everything was fine up until a week ago, its been two weeks since I owned the bike:

The ailment is - I turn the kill switch on and off while the engine is running. I heard a [click] right when the engine dies, I put the kill switch back on the 'on position' again, when I turn the ignition key to the on position I get no electricity no display or anything.

When I jump start the bike everything is fine and runs and starts so long as I don't mess with the kill switch. I've tried the experiment three times. Do you know what could be wrong with the bike. Maybe a loose wire or short?
Old 04-01-2007, 07:38 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
There is not much connection between the kill switch and the starter system, first we need to rule out battery connection problems, take a multimeter or test light, and when it fails to start, check the battery terminals for voltage, a high current can "burn" a bad connection and cut the whole power, then the booster cable can reset the connection by moving the connector a bit until the next poof. Then verify voltage at the battery terminals, so if you get voltage there, move upstream of the system to check the starters connections (it's exposed to water), there should be voltage to the starter when you press the starter button, if not check the starter relay switch terminals. The starter relay is not supposed to click while you shut the engine off, there may be some weird short in the handle as well. Good luck with these gremlins