Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

APE manual CCT's installed

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 11:02 PM
Wild Man
Back Marker

Matt_Hawk is on a distinguished road
APE manual CCT's installed

On Sunday night I ordered a set of APE Manual CCT's.

This morning I received them...1 1/2 day turnaround. I can't say enough about their service.

I installed them exactly as per the write-up on this forum under the Knowledge section. I have Strong hands from being an aircraft mechanic.

I do need to say one thing about these APE's-- The tension is somewhat vague on these APE's. I installed them as tight as I could by hand while grasping the nut on top. If you have strong hands- don't do that.
I got a faint but noticeable whirring or whistling sound ( more than these Hawks normally have ) from the cylinders. I am absolutely certain I was at TDC during installation as I pulled the rear cam cover and zip tied. The front was done without pulling the cover -but I was certain nothing moved. So, I figured the cam chain was running really tight on the guides and sprockets. I figured right.

I took APE's recommendation of going just hand tight ( without gorilla twisting it) and then backing it off a half turn. Presto. Problem solved. So, I think some Superhawk owners may be installing these too tight.

Any feedback from others installing these?

BTW- I checked the TPS while the airbox was off. It read 800 ohms. So, I reset to 500 ohms ( using the knowledge section procedure) then balanced the carbs. after all this was done.

The TPS modification seemed to improve throttle response in the lower rpms a bit. It's not huge night and day- but noticeable. The high end was unaffected.

THANKS for the Knowledge section of this forum! It's really awesome!
Attached Thumbnails APE manual CCT's installed-ape.jpg   APE manual CCT's installed-ape_under.jpg  

Last edited by Matt_Hawk; 11-09-2011 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:00 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
The APE nyloc nut can be tricky to tighten if you use a tool to hold the bolt stationary as you lose some of the feel for finger tight - but once you add the 1/4 turn slack as you found out you should be okay. Also add a smear of blue loctite to the bolt shaft thread as it enters the CCT body to prevent oil leaking up past the O'ring.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:37 AM
Wild Man
Back Marker

Good idea.

I used a 16mm to hold the bolt and a 14mm box wrench to tighten the nut.

I put a black sharpie pen mark on the bolt head facing forward so I knew if it was turning ( or will in the future). It worked great. I figured the O-ring would suffice to keep oil leaking out. Your idea of blue lock tight below the o-ring is smart. I did however use some blue LT on the hex head bolts that hold it to the case. I guess I shall see over time if it weeps a bit. I can always go to TDC, back them out a bit, add LT, then re-adjust in about 10 minutes if a weep should occur.

I am satisfied that I can rail away on the hawk and not have a catastrophe.

In the last two weeks, I have done a lot of work in labor to the bike. Almost no parts costs though--other than a $50 sprocket and $120 for CCT's.

I am going the do the Mosfet R/R next week.
Then...that's it.
Should be good to go for many miles.
7800 miles on her today.

Last edited by Matt_Hawk; 11-14-2011 at 11:43 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:46 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Yeah, finger tight was too much for me too... I did mine with the covers off so I could see what's going on.

There's a more elaborate write up somewhere on here that details adjusting the CCT properly, which involves the bike being on and warmed up. You can supposedly back the CCT off until you hear slight rattling from the chain being slack, then tighten it till that rattling goes away. Which means when it's cold, it will rattle slightly till the tolerances expand with heat. I'm to ascared to do it that way, but I have the APE recommend slack so I'm close enough.

The o-ring may or may not leak, It did slightly on the rear one on mine, loc-tite fixed that one.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:57 AM
Wild Man
Back Marker

I'd like to see that write up. I agree it may be too sketchy for me.
I've got no tick -hot or cold.

These APE's have to be VERY loose for the cam to skip on the chain.
There will never be a catastrophic failure like the stock ones.
You get more power if you have enough slack. Think about how a too tight chain restricts movement by putting too much side load on the bearings.

Heck, I think with the perfect adjustment you might pick up some power over the stock ones. Has anyone verified this?
Old 11-09-2011, 10:59 AM
Superstock
Superstock

wyldryce is on a distinguished road
I worry that any instructions that require listening for a rattle while doing manual CCT's on a VTR are inviting disaster.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:02 AM
Wild Man
Back Marker

Edit:
I ended up going "hand tight" -whatever that means- then backing out 1/2 not 1/4 turn.
Oh, I also did this adjustment while my bike was HOT -since this was my second adjustment.
So, I would be inclined to say if your bike is cold -do a "really light hand tight" then back out 1/2 turn.
This felt right. No chain slap.

Last edited by Matt_Hawk; 11-09-2011 at 11:49 AM.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:53 AM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
I did my final adjustment with the bike warm and running. I also put a witness mark on the outside flat of the adjustment bolt for reference.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:30 PM
Wild Man
Back Marker

Originally Posted by thetophatflash
I did my final adjustment with the bike warm and running. I also put a witness mark on the outside flat of the adjustment bolt for reference.

Cool. Where did you end up setting it?
Old 11-09-2011, 07:54 PM
SuperSport

It was the change in tone of the cam chains and rpm drop that signaled when it was right. I locked them down and put a paint dot on the outside flat on each tensioner as a reference point.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:14 PM
Wild Man
Back Marker

Yep...I got that too. Still afraid to do it running though.

How did you adjust the front CCT with the bike running? A remote gas tank while the airbox was off?
Old 11-09-2011, 08:23 PM
SuperSport

I'm able to slide a wrench in with the tank in place. A little flex on the hose will give me enough clearance. A bit of clarification, I have Truckinduc tensioners so your access could vary based on bolt lengths used in the apes.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:38 PM
Wild Man
Back Marker

I want to update this thread-

After speaking with APE today, they informed me that they prefer the tensioner to be "barely engaged" -when resistance is felt -then backed out 1/8 to 1/4 turn depending on bike when engine is cold at TDC. Well, barely engaged is way different than "hand tight".

They said the tension they prefer- is a very slight tick while engine is cold and then no tick while bike is fully warm. This ensures the amount of tension needed with no loss of power or wear on components.

I played with the bike for an hour adjusting tension at TDC to get it this way. I do have a really "faint tick" while cold for only a few minutes and then none when warm. Obviously due to the contraction of metal when heated.

They were right to set it this way.
There is more power. Engine feels better.

Note: TDC is when the chain is the loosest. All other cam positions will have more tension and be tighter than what you feel. Then heat it up and more so.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:30 AM
Just hangin' out
Back Marker

klx678 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by wyldryce
I worry that any instructions that require listening for a rattle while doing manual CCT's on a VTR are inviting disaster.

It is not inviting disaster. There will be rattle with just a small amount of play in the cam chain. We're talking maybe .025" play and that is a looooonnnnggg way from having enough play to jump time on a tooth tht is at least a 1/4" deep.

Ratle will be detectable within less than one turn of the bolt and with my tensioners one turn is only about .050" play - about a spark plug gap. Far from enough to jump time.

Just wanted you to know the mechanical facts.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:35 AM
Just hangin' out
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Matt_Hawk
I want to update this thread-

After speaking with APE today, they informed me that they prefer the tensioner to be "barely engaged" -when resistance is felt -then backed out 1/8 to 1/4 turn depending on bike when engine is cold at TDC. Well, barely engaged is way different than "hand tight".

They said the tension they prefer- is a very slight tick while engine is cold and then no tick while bike is fully warm. This ensures the amount of tension needed with no loss of power or wear on components.

I played with the bike for an hour adjusting tension at TDC to get it this way. I do have a really "faint tick" while cold for only a few minutes and then none when warm. Obviously due to the contraction of metal when heated.

They were right to set it this way.
There is more power. Engine feels better.

Note: TDC is when the chain is the loosest. All other cam positions will have more tension and be tighter than what you feel. Then heat it up and more so.
I think you mean thermal expansion of the metal when it gets hot. When the cylinder, head, and all expand with heat they will take up the few thousandths of play left in the cam drive.

Kind of interesting what you had to call APE to learn... exactly what I've said in any detailed posting and also what is in my instructions I have written. Explanation about the adjustment to take out just the play and also about the thermal expansion and all. Been doing it since day one with the posts and with the instructions in the first kit I sold in 2009... no need to call.

Last edited by klx678; 11-20-2011 at 07:37 AM.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:54 PM
Wild Man
Back Marker

Duh....I meant contraction when cooled and expansion when heated.
That dyslexia is kicking in. haha.

Edit: I should be using the search forum feature more to find previous posts too.

Last edited by Matt_Hawk; 11-21-2011 at 09:03 PM.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:35 AM
Racer X
Squid

rwheeler is on a distinguished road
I'm the guy who bought the yellow VTR with the Corbin Beetle bags about three weeks ago. Just installed the Krieger CCT's along with a MOSFET R/R from a 2009 CB600RR and took it for a test ride. I originally set the rear CCT too loose, which became very obvious! Reset it and now the bike runs fine. It gives me great peace of mind to know that the two downsides of this bike (likely the only downsides) have been taken care of and I can now enjoy the bike without worry as to catastrophic engine or battery failures.
Many thanks to all the contributers to this forum, especially those who wrote on these two subjects. I cannot imagine owning a machine without picking the brains of those who have experienced it and know all of its issues. I learned this early on with my Ducatis and other bikes. No substitute for experience!
Old 11-27-2011, 07:31 AM
Just hangin' out
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Matt_Hawk
Duh....I meant contraction when cooled and expansion when heated.
That dyslexia is kicking in. haha.

That happens... I figured you most likely knew the difference.