General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Future VTR owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 12:09 PM
Squid

UPWINGER is on a distinguished road
Future VTR owner

Hi all... Hope to pick your brains from time to time in the near future...
My'96 VFR was just totaled by some moron backing over it hit and run style while it was
parked at work one night last week.

Doesn't anyone take responsibility for their actions anymore??!!
Anyway, Progressive is cutting me a check and I found a very clean '98 VTR superhawk with Jardin full Ti exhaust, RaceTech gold valved suspension, and tastefully done flush LED turn signals/tail lights.
It has 31000 miles...a bit more than I'd like, but ALOT less than I had on my VFR

My first question for youse guys has to do with the "manual" camchain tensioners I see on ebay. Should this be on my list of things to upgrade? Please chime in your opinions and experiences with Camchain tensioners, either stock or these aftermarket ones. As you may or maynot know, my VFR had gear driven cams, so no worries with camchain tension ever!!!

Much appreciated! Any other suggestions and opinions would be appreciated

Last edited by UPWINGER; 08-21-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:19 PM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
Price?
Old 08-21-2011, 12:31 PM
Squid

He is asking $3650... I live in the middle of nowhere and getting a nice bike without driving 4 hours to get there is almost impossible! As it is, this one is about a 2 1/2 hr drive!
Old 08-21-2011, 12:48 PM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
Too high!
Old 08-21-2011, 12:51 PM
Superstock

Mattaua is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by UPWINGER
He is asking $3650... I live in the middle of nowhere and getting a nice bike without driving 4 hours to get there is almost impossible! As it is, this one is about a 2 1/2 hr drive!
That price is a little high, blue book for that year with that amount of miles is right around $2800. Granted it sounds like it has some nice aftermarket stuff but honestly it doesn't raise the sale value up that much. I'd offer him $2800 and really wouldn't pay much over $3200.

Otherwise, the CCT "discussion" is continually ongoing. Some say do it right away, others will say its nothing to worry about. One thing everyone does agree on though is the R/R. If its stock, do a Mosfet R1 swap right away.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:03 PM
Back Marker

jeephawk is on a distinguished road
I disagree with the mods not affecting the price. A reworked rear and fronts shocks can cost you close to grand right there. Plus a full Jardine exhaust runs ya over a grand too. 2k right there plus any other stuff not mentioned.
Go buy a stock bike. (like I regretfully did) and then buy all the mods later. You spend more on the mods than the bike!

Oh and I bought Manual ccts here from a forum member. Kreiger or something cant remember off the top of my head but they were nice quality and good install instructions. Took about an hour or so(being careful not to skip chain and all) worry free now.
Ive put on about 2k since and all is good.

Last edited by jeephawk; 08-21-2011 at 10:53 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:24 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
nah....Mattaua is right. add-on stuff does not really raise the bike as much as they would cost if you had to do it yourself. Most folks who own and tinker with bikes know you'll never get out of it what you put into it.

As for the price, it's too high. the guy has an over inflated evaluation of what his bike is actually worth. Hold on to your money and wait for the next one to come along. It WILL come along if you're just patient.

I paid $2500 for mine almost 2 years ago including Staintune high rise exhaust and the usual air/carb mods. I picked up a pair of used forks on this forum that already had the valve upgrade done. they only cost me $100. I also picked up a fork brace for 70, braided lines for 30. Oh, and only 12,000 miles on it.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:19 AM
Back Marker

Yeller no offense but your first sentence doesnt make any sense. I think I get the gist of what your trying to say but I still disagree with ya. Of course you dont get full price on what you put into it but it is worth something.
In my case I was looking for a Superhawk after I test drove a modded one. I made several trip to the city (where most superhawks seem to be in my area) only to be disappointed. (city bikes seem to get ruff treatment). Found a good owner with a good bike but it was pretty stock. I then had to buy all the stuff(still adding by the way). Looking back I wish I just could have found one with all the mods on it already. Would have saved a ton of money and I would have been riding a better bike right from the get go. As you know a stock hawk and modded hawk with suspension upgrades are night and day different. I think safer too. Stock hawk suspension is pretty bad.. brakes too for that matter.
Anyways long story short, there are other factors to think about in purchasing a bike. Availability, condition, mods.
That bike in Redding looks like a nice clean bike with alot good stuff on it.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:07 AM
SuperBike

No offense taken Jeep. Just useful conversation and opinion. I fully realize I don't have a corner on the market when it comes to being "right".

I guess I take some things for granted when it comes to overall condition of a bike. I've got lots of experience with them, so I tend to know subtlties of abuse, and I realize some people aren't that experienced with it. Mine was in very good condition, and that's why I believe the 3600+ is way high. To me, even traveling 4 hours to pick up a sound bike at a good price is worth far more than paying a high price locally. heck, I've travelled 7+ hours for a good deal and rode the bike home.

As to the first part, what I was trying to relate was that an upgrade, like the exhaust for example, may cost $700+, that doesn't mean you should add that much to a used bike price for it. For one, it's now "used". For another, while a nice addition, it's not nearly as important to the next buyer as it was to the current owner.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:37 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
I hear what Yeller is saying- The used bike market is kind of strange that way... expensive mods don't add nearly as much as they should to the value of the bike. Aside from the "used" factor, it's probably partially that it's someone else's idea of what they want the bike to be, and not yours. Also, when someone else installs something, it's hard to tell how well it was done. The same kind of goes for mileage... the market tends to overrate low mileage and underrate high mileage when really how well the bike is taken care of during the miles is more important.

The guy could just be listing it high expecting to get low offers... I always make the mistake of listing stuff at what I expect to get and get ridiculous offers... some more experienced sellers kind of anticipate this. It may be worth that, but it better be in pretty dang good condition...
Old 08-22-2011, 11:48 AM
Back Marker

I hear ya. For the record I never said to expect to pay full price for the mods. Just that there is a value for the mods and the price to have it installed and tuned if your not mechanical too.
Plus alot of people seem to use the hawk for track bikes and well you know how a track bike gets treated...
Glad to hear to got a good bike.
14hours though of driving though to get it in a truck. plus food lodging if any. heck your in it a couple hundred right there. All factors to take into consideration. End result is getting a good Superhawk! Thats all that matters.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:11 PM
SuperBike

well, that particular 7 hour trip was to pick up the Buell. Left Sunday morning in the car, picked up the bike in the afternoon after paperwork done. Arrived back home at 1 AM. All in a day's work. (or just insanity, which I'm known for!)

It was February too. With all the layers I had on, I looked like the Michelin Man riding down the road. However, I was toasty warm and the sweet sound of that v twin at 70 MPH was just that....sweet!
Old 08-22-2011, 01:38 PM
Back Marker

Tormoz is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Old Yeller
well, that particular 7 hour trip was to pick up the Buell. Left Sunday morning in the car, picked up the bike in the afternoon after paperwork done. Arrived back home at 1 AM. All in a day's work. (or just insanity, which I'm known for!)

It was February too. With all the layers I had on, I looked like the Michelin Man riding down the road. However, I was toasty warm and the sweet sound of that v twin at 70 MPH was just that....sweet!
Nothing like a road trip that finishes with a new (or another) motorcycle in the garage!
Old 08-25-2011, 08:56 AM
Squid

I drive a Ford powerstroke and with fuel prices the way they are, driving 7 hrs to p/u a new bike would easily add several hundred bucks to the price of the bike! I live in the middle of the CA coastal Redwoods (Humboldt) and there isn't much used bike choices in the area... If I get this Superhawk, it will probably be the only one around for 150 miles! I haven't seen one yet since I have been here.
I'm leaning towards paying this guy because, truthfully, I hate not having a bike to ride...its already been 2 weeks just waiting on Progressive!!
Old 08-25-2011, 09:19 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Yeah, the old saying is to DEDUCT the price of the mods from a stock price because you dont know what wacko messed around with it.

That price is crazy for such a hi milage bike of that year. Be a little patient, alot of sellers will meet you half way for the sale so take that into account. I wouldnt go over
3k for that and thats IF it looked cherry. Ask if its the original clutch as you will need one soon if not. Check chain/sprockets & ask how old they are.

If you go to see it insist it be cold when you get there as many seller warm it up to hide starting issues. Be patient, dont get ripped off. Not riding sucks but getting ripped off is worse.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:49 PM
Back Marker

ninjagoalie is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Be patient, dont get ripped off. Not riding sucks but getting ripped off is worse.
+1
Old 08-27-2011, 09:05 PM
Back Marker

[QUOTE=smokinjoe73;312471]Yeah, the old saying is to DEDUCT the price of the mods from a stock price because you dont know what wacko messed around with it.

Smokinjoe is smokin crack. j/k. Never heard that saying before. Doesnt make sense to me with that logic. 30k isnt alot of miles for a superhawk. Everybody knows that! I called the guy and he sounded pretty knowledgeable about the bike. Brand new rear tire. shift kit. carb sync hoses installed. stainless lines. Reworked front and rear suspension. Never down. New lifetime battery. R/R done. Rear stand. Manual. flushmounts. tank bra. Full, not slip on Jardine exhausts kit......
Ok with your logic.... deduct the mods.....hmmm guess the bike is for free. lol
Wish this bike was around when I was looking.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:19 PM
Squid

I am in agreement with Jeep and rode this baby home through the windy redwoods!
Love this bike, and after what Progressive paid me for my '96 VFR with almost 50,000 miles, this well maintained '98 Superhawk with 31000 miles didn't cost me a nickel (I actually have $650 left over 8)

The guy I bought it from has a buddy with same year and model, none of the mods done. Shifts very clunky....but the one I bought has had some mod done to the shift forks. Shifts like butter... very smooooooth. Love this bike....lucky I found it.

Suspension is set up front and rear with goldvalves... just right for my weight. Reg/rectifier already swapped out. SS brake lines. All I have to do is ride and enjoy it. Nothing more needed!

BTW,The exhaust sounds oh so gooooood!!!
Attached Thumbnails Future VTR owner-img_9296.jpg   Future VTR owner-img_9297.jpg  
Old 08-30-2011, 12:28 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Ask if its the original clutch as you will need one soon if not.
Can I ask why you say that? I have 85k on my original clutch and it still works just fine and actually looked to good to even mess with when I had the cover off for the advancer installation. Yes I replaced the springs while I was in there but that was it.... Name:  idunno.gif
Views: 323
Size:  4.4 KB
Old 08-30-2011, 12:46 PM
Superstock

speedkelly@aol.com is on a distinguished road
Upwinger.
Damn that looks like a real nice Superhawk. Enjoy. Suspension makes a huge difference to our bikes. Your going to really like the way this bike handles over the VFR for sure. Hmmmm gas mileage is going hurt!
Old 09-22-2011, 01:13 PM
GRU
Squid

GRU is on a distinguished road
Good looking bike

UP....you did good, the mileage is minor if all else is in good shape. Yours looks good, I bought about the same type of bike, except, Fox racing shock, gold valves in the front, full stainless Remus high exhaust, new tires, and new battery, carbon fenders.......threw front away, cheap, put a stock fender on the front, oiled the chain and riding it. Got it for $ 2500.00, however, the guy needed money, and told me so up front, so that was my offer, and he took it. The deal is always good if the buyer and seller are happy.
Old 11-24-2017, 01:18 PM
Superstock

RobertLever is on a distinguished road
Nice Bike Upwinger! I love those Jardines! I would def look into some Krieger manual adjusters.
Old 11-24-2017, 02:55 PM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
bike looks good. I found the vtr's v-twin is way more enjoyable than a vfr's v-four. I always thought the vfr v-four didn't get the good traits of either the v-twin or v-four layout. I rode a vfr once and found it to have that "sewing machine" character and not much for power.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:26 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Zombie Thread has been awakened ...lol
Guys the "soon to be buyer" is a thread from 2011 ..id hope by now he has installed those CCT's...lol